No announcement yet.

You Tell Me--Is My Son A Baby Genius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've found this website to have tons of resources.

Homeschooling is an awesome option, because gifted children are often asynchronous in their development. They may be gifted intellectually, a little slower physically, or awkward socially. Or, shall I say appear awkward socially because they prefer the company of older people.

If you advance them based on their intellect, they don't "fit in" physically and often get treated like class pets. If you hold them back, they don't excel and sometimes have trouble making friends, or worse yet; cause trouble or shut down.

Read Stephanie Tolan's cheetah metaphor (I think it's on Hoagies somewhere, Google it).

I agree that giving him exposure to as many experiences; art, music, language, science, math; is your best bet. From what I've read, your approach seems largely play based and you provide all that anyway. Even if he's not officially gifted, you can't hurt him by giving him more experiences, so it's win-win.

Comment

We, too, thought we must have spawned a genius with our first child! He was amazing in every facet...crawling up on all-fours at 6mos, RUNNING! at 10mos, and his vocabulary, knowledge of all things marine (he loved, loved, loved all things ocean), and his imagination was uncanny! We even videotaped him at 20mos reciting the alphabet, counting to 100, singing every nursery rhyme under the sun, and quizzing him on his vast knowledge, because we were sure we would question our memory of his abilities at such a young age. Plus, he has always been big for his age (9 1/2 lbs at birth, 5'7" now at age 12). He has always been the sweetest child I've ever known-which I credit much to the home daycare environment. We were then, and still are, enormously proud of him.

We quickly realized that while he is very smart, it's his memory recall that is to credit. His grandfather does have a photographic memory, so I think he must have inherited a nice brain from him. We've never had him tested, nor do we insist on upper-placement classes at school. School curriculum is a cinch for him with a 4.0+ GPA. When he is in high-school, he can choose to take AP classes if he wants to. Right now, we want him to just be a kid and enjoy it-he has his whole adult life to stress out.

That said, I've had a few other DCKs that are smart like him and your boy. They really are neat kids!

Comment

With my gifted daughter, I knew all along that she was much brighter than average. Last summer as she was working on learning to read, all directed by her, at age 4.5 (not uber early of course but I had never pushed it) I gradually became aware that my choices were: Get her tested into kindergarten a year early, or homeschool her. She wasn't "supposed" to do kindy until this year, but I knew last summer that she was already ahead of the game and waiting would be MORe than detrimental.

So we got her tested. She passed with flying colors (scored a 125, only needed a 115 to pass, and I think on that test the genius threshold is 135) and started kindergarten. She seemed to love it, but looking back she was bored from day one. Everything was SO easy. She did make the jump from sounding out to READING but I'm not sure if she was just ready to make that jump or if the school helped. She never struggled with a single assignment she brought home, never struggled with a single "Guided reading" book.

I spoke with other parents of academically advanced kids and they all said the same thing: this school does NOT have the resources to meet the needs of the gifted kids. They pull from a low-SES area with lots of ELL kids and just don't have the time to dedicate to the kids that are far ahead of the rest of the class. and since she was already technically skipped a grade, they would be hesitant to send her to other classrooms for various subjects.

Because of the school's performance we are allowed to open enroll her anywhere in the district...but we have to provide transportation and are incapable of doing that (hello, daycare!) so I made the decision to homeschool.

And it took most of the summer...but the bright, shining girl she was before kindy came back. Her anxiety mostly melted away. The behavior issues abated. She made leaps and bounds of progress and started to speak with the more advanced sentance structure that had faded during the year. Looking back, she wasn't happy in public school. She couldn't relate to anyone in her class on an intellectual level, and they had very different life experiences than her. She was bullied repeatedly last year by various kids and each time, I brought my concerns to the school and they worked with me and helped to stop it but no sooner did we stop one then more were starting. She just attracted them like i did...largely for being unable to hide how smart she is.

I'm not saying homeschooling is the only answer because it certainly isn't! I guess i'm trying to warn you (or anyone) about choosing the RIGHT school.
        Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Stellar! Hey both you and the OP are from Minnesota. You got something in the water up there??
          My son was identified as twice exceptional at the age of 8 (gifted with a learning disability) and we are also from MN. I personally believe he's a strong visual/spatial learner. He is now 9 years old and reads at a 9th grade level, but can barely string two words together to write a sentence. Our principal, special ed and gifted office have really helped make sure he has a good teacher fit each year and is receiving the help he needs. I'm sure other states are great, but I think MN does such an exceptional job in accommodating many different learning styles and challenges.

OP: Keep talking to that baby of yours. Use lots of words and don't dumb down your speech. My children were all advanced verbally (a little behind on gross motor skills) and when I hear my 4 year old daughter use the word doppelganger correctly in a sentence, I feel like I must be doing something right by enriching their language everyday.

Comment

I have a question that is slightly OT and may seem mean, but I truly don't mean it that way. So many parents nowadays claim to have a "gifted" child or a specially talented child. Yes, there are lots of gifted kids but not every child can be gifted or have a truly exceptional talent or then the word "gifted" would be meaningless. I know all parents think their child is special (as they should) but it isn't appropriate for them to throw around the word "gifted." I have interviewed parents of infants who have said, "Well, our baby is gifted so how will you support that in your program?" I look at the child and he is a six month old asleep with his blanky - a "regular" baby! Ummmmm....

Parents these days seem to think that their child has to be exceptional and that having a typical, happy, healthy child is not ok. It is ok! In fact we should be celebrating that! Being gifted and talented is awesome but so is being a regular kid! How do you tell parents: Hey your kid is great! He is smart and funny and is great at some things....but he's not gifted?

Comment

He sounds so much like my son!lovethis He turned 2 the last week in June and is so dang smart! On his 24 mo check up survey I snickered at the question, "does your child say 2 word sentences?" because he always says 5-6 word sentences! He plays so well with others, knows how to hit a baseball off a tee, golfs(as well as a 2 yo would), gets in the little tykes car and says "I go momucks(gma)". If he would spill something he would wipe it up at about 18 mos old. Now he tells me "I pooped, change me!" but, has no interest in the potty yet! It is so fun to watch them learn and grow when they are so verbal at a young age!

Comment

Originally posted by Leanna View Post
                I have a question that is slightly OT and may seem mean, but I truly don't mean it that way. So many parents nowadays claim to have a "gifted" child or a specially talented child. Yes, there are lots of gifted kids but not every child can be gifted or have a truly exceptional talent or then the word "gifted" would be meaningless. I know all parents think their child is special (as they should) but it isn't appropriate for them to throw around the word "gifted." I have interviewed parents of infants who have said, "Well, our baby is gifted so how will you support that in your program?" I look at the child and he is a six month old asleep with his blanky - a "regular" baby! Ummmmm....

Parents these days seem to think that their child has to be exceptional and that having a typical, happy, healthy child is not ok. It is ok! In fact we should be celebrating that! Being gifted and talented is awesome but so is being a regular kid! How do you tell parents: Hey your kid is great! He is smart and funny and is great at some things....but he's not gifted?
                I think they'll get a dose of reality once their child starts school. Or they won't. Just smile and nod. While I posted earlier that my son is identified as gifted, he is fairly average in lots of things like math. And he behaves just like a regular 9 year old most of the time. He loves soccer but isn't particularly good at it. That's okay too.

When they pose a particular question like how will your program foster his giftedness, just explain all of the things you would normally do for all babies.

Comment

You don't You just smile and say something noncommitally supportive and positive. "I support every child at exactly the developmental stage they are in at any given time."

There is a HUGE bias in our country/society against the intelligent people. It's just not considered socially acceptable to say that your child is bright or smart or gifted with regards to academics. But it IS okay to have a physically gifted child. It's highly desireable in fact. even musically gifted is more acceptable than academically gifted. You don't see people with bumper stickers that say "my dauchsand is a better athlete than your varsity quarterback!" or "My Chihuahua is a better musician than your flautist!" but you DO see "My kid can beat up your honor student" and "My dog is a better student than your Honor student" and all sorts of other really derogatory and insulting things regarding smart kids. You post something on Facebook about your child being bright and you get slammed. Hell even threads like this on many forums inevitably turn into an arguement about how no one's child can POSSIBLY be truly academically gifted, or a genius, or whatever.

not to pick on you...but just to say...there is a bias. So tread carefully. You're right that a lot of parents (usually first time parents) try to say that theirs is the SMARTEST baby EVER in the WORLD because she is holding her own bottle at six months, or crawling at 8 months, or pointing at pictures of dogs and saying "woof" at ten months...all perfectly normal things. or worse the parents whose child is truly delayed and the parents insist that they are SOooooo gifted.

it's a tough road to walk. And trust me...being gifted, being smart...isnt' as much of a picnic as one might imagine. And PARENTING these super smart kids is just as difficult...you may not fight with bad grades (or you might...because they might be so bored they aren't doing the work) but you fight with kids who are able to give you well reasoned and logical arguements about why they shouldn't have to go to bed yet or why they should be allowed to have a cookie ten minutes before dinner.

Comment

Parents these days seem to think that their child has to be exceptional and that having a typical, happy, healthy child is not ok. It is ok! In fact we should be celebrating that! Being gifted and talented is awesome but so is being a regular kid!
                    Right on, Sister!

That is exactly why we don't pursue "special" treatment at school and/or put our child through testing. He's smart. We know it, and that's enough. He will totally excel in life and do anything he wants without us insanely pushing him because he IS smart. We see it with friends and neighbors-their kids can't come out to play or socialize much because of the loads of homework or instrument practice they have to do. And those kids seem so stressed out. Many parents live so vicariously through their children or seek attention for having a "special" child. No thanks. I will live my life and allow my child to live his own, too.

Comment

Another not seeking special or attention here. Our child was home with me until she started school. I've never approached her teachers on this. I've always waited until they approached me.

In our district they do not do testing until grade four. Teachers have strongly suggested getting testing done then, and for us to consider a move to another school. At this point I'm willing to consider the testing, but can't help but think it will answer what we already know. We know our child is bright and that academics have always come very easy to her. I think a move to another school would be detrimental to her. I wish to consider the whole child as she is. I think a move would be huge set back emotionally and socially. I don't know the right answer yet. At this point I just take each year as it comes, observe, be involved and keep an open mind. We have also had the luck of having great teachers so far that have made extra efforts to program for her in the classroom.

Comment

I think it's important to remember the multiple intelligences theory. My first born (girl) was/is your typical over-achiever first born in terms of verbal intelligence. We homeschool, but never thought she was gifted on the level to require testing or anything. We just fed her what she needs. She's always had a brilliant mind for language and literature, and later we discovered her natural disposition for music. But math and logical thinking? Nope, not her thing.

One of my other kiddos would be the boy in school driving the teachers crazy and sending him for medication to calm him down. He's not a "gifted" student...struggles with age appropriate spelling and writing, for example. But his mind is incredibly gifted/inclined toward spatial skills. Building things and taking things apart and knowing how they work and such.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that yes, some kids are clearly academically gifted and benefit from specialized courses of instruction. However, with enough time and space to grow and explore (yes, that's my shameless plug for homeschooling) observant and involved parents will likely see some area of giftedness manifest in their child. Just remember that it might not be what is typically tested for. It could be musical or interpersonal or ???

Comment

Intelligent Baby

Above is a lot of good advice.. Thrilled that you realized it at such an early age!
                          I have found parents of higher intelligent kids have quite a job advocating for their child's education.

I have an 2 year old Great Grand. All that spend time with realize she is far ahead in language and oral comprehension.
                          Her parents are having her tested by early education professionals that was recommended by the local elementary school. She met the Vice Principle at church 3 weeks ago. He and his wife substituted for the Sunday School teacher. When her parents picked her up He spoke with them and the ball has been rolling ever since.
                          A genius, I don't think so but intelligent - Yes.

All that said to say go by the elementary school and talk with them.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
                            You don't You just smile and say something noncommitally supportive and positive. "I support every child at exactly the developmental stage they are in at any given time."

There is a HUGE bias in our country/society against the intelligent people. It's just not considered socially acceptable to say that your child is bright or smart or gifted with regards to academics. But it IS okay to have a physically gifted child. It's highly desireable in fact. even musically gifted is more acceptable than academically gifted. You don't see people with bumper stickers that say "my dauchsand is a better athlete than your varsity quarterback!" or "My Chihuahua is a better musician than your flautist!" but you DO see "My kid can beat up your honor student" and "My dog is a better student than your Honor student" and all sorts of other really derogatory and insulting things regarding smart kids. You post something on Facebook about your child being bright and you get slammed. Hell even threads like this on many forums inevitably turn into an arguement about how no one's child can POSSIBLY be truly academically gifted, or a genius, or whatever.

not to pick on you...but just to say...there is a bias. So tread carefully. You're right that a lot of parents (usually first time parents) try to say that theirs is the SMARTEST baby EVER in the WORLD because she is holding her own bottle at six months, or crawling at 8 months, or pointing at pictures of dogs and saying "woof" at ten months...all perfectly normal things. or worse the parents whose child is truly delayed and the parents insist that they are SOooooo gifted.

it's a tough road to walk. And trust me...being gifted, being smart...isnt' as much of a picnic as one might imagine. And PARENTING these super smart kids is just as difficult...you may not fight with bad grades (or you might...because they might be so bored they aren't doing the work) but you fight with kids who are able to give you well reasoned and logical arguements about why they shouldn't have to go to bed yet or why they should be allowed to have a cookie ten minutes before dinner.
                            I agree with you on some aspects...like the fact that it is not easy being a gifted child OR a parent of a gifted child. Besides struggling to get an appropriate education, the social issues can be overwhelming. However, from what I've seen, the bias against smart/gifted kids is more of a peer issue - kids teasing and bullying other kids for being smart, truly gifted kids trying to hide their talents to fit in, etc. Parents in our area seem to push academics fiercely. You would never see a bumper sticker like that here!

Comment

I agree with you on some aspects...like the fact that it is not easy being a gifted child OR a parent of a gifted child. Besides struggling to get an appropriate education, the social issues can be overwhelming. However, from what I've seen, the bias against smart/gifted kids is more of a peer issue - kids teasing and bullying other kids for being smart, truly gifted kids trying to hide their talents to fit in, etc. Parents in our area seem to push academics fiercely. You would never see a bumper sticker like that here!
                              Lucky...

Comment

Originally posted by KMK View Post
                                We quickly realized that while he is very smart, it's his memory recall that is to credit. His grandfather does have a photographic memory, so I think he must have inherited a nice brain from him.
                                This is so interesting! I never considered this. My husband has always said that he has a photographic memory. He is an engineer and always claimed to do so well on his exams in college because when he had to remember a formula, he could just remember exactly what it looked like written down on the whiteboard or from his text book.

Even now, I'll ask him where something went and he'll tell me... oh yeah, I saw it on the third shelf in the garage next to the garbage bags. When did you see it? I don't know, a few weeks ago?? Ha!

Comment

Working...
                                X