Serving Snack Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serving Snack Question

So I started 2 dcg yesterday both are SA and get out of school at 4pm and every other Wednesday they get out at 1pm. DCP is very strict on what she expects from a daycare provider in which I have no problem because I made it clear that just how she has high expectations I do to! She seems ok DCP can have attitude but I believe we are either going to get along very well or not at all but let's see how that goes, DCP was desperate for daycare so I decided to give it a try.

My question is since dcg get out of school at 4pm but my snack time is at 3:15, do you all think I should offer them a snak when they get home from school or just wait until dinner? Dinner is at 5:30pm. Btw I'm in the food program and they have rules as far as what times to serve meals, etc.

What do you all think?

I would probably give them something. There are days my kids come home starved. Some days they only get 5 minutes to eat lunch. Ds has lunch at 10:48am. He would never make it until 5:30pm. Our food program allows us to set 2 serving times for the meal so we can have snack earlier for the little ones and later for the bigs.

Comment

Originally posted by mema View Post
      I would probably give them something. There are days my kids come home starved. Some days they only get 5 minutes to eat lunch. Ds has lunch at 10:48am. He would never make it until 5:30pm. Our food program allows us to set 2 serving times for the meal so we can have snack earlier for the little ones and later for the bigs.
      True, but food program doesn't allow to serve the next meal within less than 2 hours. They have to be at least 2 hours apart, for example; if my snack is at 3:30 the next meal has to be no earlier than 5:30pm. hope I made sense :confused:

Comment

I assume you explained snack/meal times with parent prior to enrollment. If children are getting to your house starved I would explain that to the parents, and they should be sending a snack with their kid in their backpack to have on the bus or when they arrive at your house.
        MnMum married to DH 9 years
        Mum to Girl 21, Girl 18, Boy 14.5, Boy 11

Comment

What time do they go home? Can you feed them a light "dinner" at 4:15? Our food program allows two "shifts" so we could feed some children at one time and other children later. (Like 11:30 lunch for afternoon preschoolers and 12:00 lunch for morning preschoolers.)

Comment

Originally posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
            What time do they go home? Can you feed them a light "dinner" at 4:15? Our food program allows two "shifts" so we could feed some children at one time and other children later. (Like 11:30 lunch for afternoon preschoolers and 12:00 lunch for morning preschoolers.)
            That would be too hard for me to serve dinner at that time, we get home at 4:15pm and I start cooking dinner to have it ready for 5:30pm.

Comment

I would give them a snack. My food program allows me to do a pm snack at a certain time for the non SA kids and then I can do one for the SA kids. So one snack is at 3:14 and the second one is at 4:30. I would ask your sponsor if you have that option.

Comment

Originally posted by melilley View Post
                I would give them a snack. My food program allows me to do a pm snack at a certain time for the non SA kids and then I can do one for the SA kids. So one snack is at 3:14 and the second one is at 4:30. I would ask your sponsor if you have that option.
                I'm sure I can do that but if I serve dinner for them I won't be able to claim them since its only 1 hour apart. My dinner is served at 5:30pm. That takes a lot of my time I already spend certain amount of hours in the kitchen, kwim:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Little Star75 View Post
                  I'm sure I can do that but if I serve dinner for them I won't be able to claim them since its only 1 hour apart. My dinner is served at 5:30pm. That takes a lot of my time I already spend certain amount of hours in the kitchen, kwim:confused:
                  Oh I see, maybe just give them something little to tide them over, like an apple or something healthy. If they don't eat it then they can't be that hungry. My SA daughter comes home and is as she says, "starving" everyday. If you think about it, the times they get out at 4, they usually haven't eaten in a while.
                  I am always hungry and can eat all day so I sympathize with them...

Comment

You can serve all meals all day but only claim 3 per child. SO, either give them something small and don't count it or ask your food program sponsor if there's another option.

I do not serve my own SA kids a snack after school, but we eat dinner at 4:30-5:30. I do not do this because they get a snack at school not long before they go home. I would ask if they get a snack before going home.
                    Last edited by LaLa1923; 05-09-2013, 06:57 PM. Reason: fix wording

Comment

Oh I see, maybe just give them something little to tide them over, like an apple or something healthy. If they don't eat it then they can't be that hungry. My SA daughter comes home and is as she says, "starving" everyday. If you think about it, the times they get out at 4, they usually haven't eaten in a while.
                      I am always hungry and can eat all day so I sympathize with them...
                      The school these 2 dcg go to, provide plenty of meals no kidding . They have breakfast, am snack, lunch and a snack right before they leave. However.... DCP wants her dcg to be fed at daycare since DCP NEVER cooks

Comment

The school these 2 dcg go to, provide plenty of meals no kidding . They have breakfast, am snack, lunch and a snack right before they leave. However.... DCP wants her dcg to be fed at daycare since DCP NEVER cooks
                        Then they are fine! Feed dinner only!!

Comment

Oh, I wouldn't then.

The mom gets out of cooking dinner huh? I hate to cook! But I do cook for my family. It may not be a gourmet meal, but I try.

Comment

Oh, I wouldn't then.

The mom gets out of cooking dinner huh? I hate to cook! But I do cook for my family. It may not be a gourmet meal, but I try.
                            Yes she does, if you only all knew all her expectations she wants, oh boy

Comment

I say skip it, they can handle it. Does mom want them served a snack? So do you provide dinner then? Just wondering. I've had parents ask but I can barely make dinner for my own family by the end of the day and sometimes feel like i live in the kitchen! ::::

Comment

Working...
                              X