I'm So Tired Of Dealing With These Annoying Bags Of Breast Milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm So Tired Of Dealing With These Annoying Bags Of Breast Milk

I fully support breastfeeding but there has got to be a better way of transport than these flimsy bags! I almost always have at least one baby using the bags and they leak. Yesterday I had a couple bags in the fridge in a bowl and they leaked and as the milk melted it overflowed the bowl. Today I see milk has leaked again and is all over the bottom of my fridge.

And the thawing, and warming. It is so much easier to just mix formula in warm water! But my biggest complaint is the bags. They are messy to pour into the bottles too!

Can you ask DCM to bring it already in bottles? She could thaw it at home and then fill the bottles in the morning for the day. BM is good for 24 hrs after it's fully thawed as long as it is in the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by crazydaycarelady View Post
      I fully support breastfeeding but there has got to be a better way of transport than these flimsy bags! I almost always have at least one baby using the bags and they leak. Yesterday I had a couple bags in the fridge in a bowl and they leaked and as the milk melted it overflowed the bowl. Today I see milk has leaked again and is all over the bottom of my fridge.

And the thawing, and warming. It is so much easier to just mix formula in warm water! But my biggest complaint is the bags. They are messy to pour into the bottles too!
      You have two options:

1) request frozen BM in advance (and deal with that annoyance but no leakage!)

or

2) Request the milk be put in plastic or glass containers only for sanitary reasons.

It shouldn't be that difficult to comply with or else purchase plastic storage bottles yourself and write it off at tax time

Comment

My dcm's tend to use Target brand bags and I haven't had a leakage problem yet. And I don't have an issue with pouring in the milk; once it's thawed and warm (I warm it in the bag) I open it and pour it into the bottle from a corner. No drips, leaks, or spills. Works perfectly every time.

But if it bothers you, request that milk be sent in bottles only.
        Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

I used the Medela ones and never had a problem. I agree with seeing if you can have DCM bring the milk in bottles.

Comment

Is mom over filling the bags. The ones I used to use were the Lancôme ones and they are only suppose to be filled with 6 oz max. I had issues with the leakage also when I filled them up all the way. It never specified on the box that they are not suppose to be filled up that full. I contacted the company and that's what they said.

Comment

OOh!! I was just complaining about the same thing! I hated one type of bag, and I can't remember which ones they were. They leaked at the bottom, were hard to pour into the bottle, heaven forbid you try to pour it one handed. THe mom switched to another brand, and they were SO much better. She switched to a brand called "The first years". The first years are easier to pour, and you don't have to squeeze it in the middle to create a pour spout.... the first years have a built in pour spout.

I am pretty sure the ones I hated were called Lanisho. (or something along those lines) They were blue...that is all I really remember.

She also used Medella, and I liked those better too.

Comment

Originally posted by youretooloud View Post
                OOh!! I was just complaining about the same thing! I hated one type of bag, and I can't remember which ones they were. They leaked at the bottom, were hard to pour into the bottle, heaven forbid you try to pour it one handed. THe mom switched to another brand, and they were SO much better. She switched to a brand called "The first years".

I am pretty sure the ones I hated were called Lanisho. (or something along those lines) They were blue...that is all I really remember.

She also used Medella, and I liked those better too.
                Lansinoh! I meant! Lol

Comment

Yes, they are the Lansinoh bags! And yes she fills them FULL - each bag has 8oz in it! Maybe that is the problem. Then she brings a plastic bag full of them and they are all clanking together.

Comment

Originally posted by ABCDaycareMN View Post
                    Lansinoh! I meant! Lol
                    LOL..Me too.. I knew I was remembering it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by crazydaycarelady View Post
                      Yes, they are the Lansinoh bags! And yes she fills them FULL - each bag has 8oz in it! Maybe that is the problem. Then she brings a plastic bag full of them and they are all clanking together.
                      I've pumped literally thousands of ounces, and tried probably 6 brands of bags. The Lansinoh ones are my FAVORITE! Out of hundreds of bags, I think I maybe had 3 leak? But I wouldn't fill them with more than 6 ounces. Usually I just did 4-5 (so one bag = one bottle).

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                        I've pumped literally thousands of ounces, and tried probably 6 brands of bags. The Lansinoh ones are my FAVORITE! Out of hundreds of bags, I think I maybe had 3 leak? But I wouldn't fill them with more than 6 ounces. Usually I just did 4-5 (so one bag = one bottle).

I think sometimes I would just get a bad batch. She bought them in bulk, and i'd have 11 leak, and then for the next few weeks, none would leak, then another group would leak.

I'd feel so bad too, because it's not like formula or regular milk that is leaking into this hot tap water.. it was way more precious, and I'd only lose some of it, I still felt like it was a huge waste.

Comment

I do like Silver and warm milk in the bag and then pour the milk into a bottle.

I haven't had leakage issues but just in case, I put each bag into a larger baggie and thaw in water so the baggie catches anything that leaks.

Someone from the forum suggested it and it solved my issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                            I do like Silver and warm milk in the bag and then pour the milk into a bottle.

I haven't had leakage issues but just in case, I put each bag into a larger baggie and thaw in water so the baggie catches anything that leaks.

Someone from the forum suggested it and it solved my issue.
                            I was just about to suggest this! sometimes frozen milk can cause the bag to leak when thawed. I bet it would also help if she only did 4oz bags as well. But putting them in a bigger ziplock to thaw is a good idea.

Comment

I had a DC mom that would do that to me, too. I told her that she would have to bring milk for the day Pre-bottled and it worked great. You don't need to do any extra work- just send the dirty bottles home so they wash and refill ( just make sure to have a little formula for the baby JUST IN CASE . That's what I did when my girls were in DC- I never expected the DCP to handle my milk or wash bottles- they're busy enough!

Comment

Working...
                              X