Scribble Scrabble & Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scribble Scrabble & Pet Peeves

I'm not sure how everyone feels about this but for me it's a totally pet peeve when someone says "no scribble scrabble" to a young child. I've seen teachers and parents do it and it drives me crazy! Are they immediately supposed to know how to color in the lines or draw a perfect circle? agh! Sorry for the rant, but we went out to dinner and the little boy (I'm guessing just over 2) at the table next to us got reprimanded and his crayons taken away (tears ensued) because he was doing to much "scribble scrabble" and not "coloring right" :confused:

What pet peeves do you have?

Originally posted by Lyss View Post
    I'm not sure how everyone feels about this but for me it's a totally pet peeve when someone says "no scribble scrabble" to a young child. I've seen teachers and parents do it and it drives me crazy! Are they immediately supposed to know how to color in the lines or draw a perfect circle? agh! Sorry for the rant, but we went out to dinner and the little boy (I'm guessing just over 2) at the table next to us got reprimanded and his crayons taken away (tears ensued) because he was doing to much "scribble scrabble" and not "coloring right" :confused:

As far as things parents say to their children...

I really dislike when a parent immediately tells their child that their shoes are on the wrong feet, instead of celebrating that they put them on by themselves. I would much rather put focus on the fact that they managed to get their shoes on.

I really really hate when parents refer to a child as "your son/daughter" to the other parent.

I really dislike when parents talk about a behavior of a child in a light hearted manner in front of the child. I think it sends a message that the behavior isn't serious, and that the parent finds it funny/cute.

Oh, and as I was talking with ECS about the other day... the phrase "Kids will be kids" is going to give me a heart attack one day. Yes, they will be kids- but that is why we are here - to help them learn and teach them better.

Comment

I was SO thinking of starting this thread today! Not necessarily DC related but pet peeves in general.

I could give a laundry list of pet peeves but I'll name a few:

1) Chewing with your mouth open. It amazes me how many adults do this...
      2) "Snapping" gum and chewing like a cow.
      3) Making up "baby words" to talk to kids. (My MIL would always say things like "Go get the bally!" Wth? I always the correct words, including body parts, with my boys.)
      4) Parents who say, "What is wrong with you?" to their child.
      5) People who eat at restaurants with kids and leave the table and surrounding area completely trashed like they are entitled to be slobs just because it's someone else's job to clean up after them.

And this was just today.....

Comment

Helicopter parents and undersocialized kids.

Hands down my biggest two.

I'm not talking run of the mill caution or those with a stay at home parent.....I'm talking parents that never let their children laugh, play in the grass, be loud, get dirty, eat anything that isn't pureed, run to the doctor for every little sniffle, insist on medicating for every little sniffle, break down at the smallest blip in behavior insisting they are completely out of control and must be autistic, ADD, ADHD, sugar intolerant etc.......and kids that look at you like you've got three heads when you make a silly face to get them to laugh, are terrified of playing in the grass, speak only in whispers or allow their parents to speak for them entirely, have a heart attack if they get even the tiniest bit dirty, won't eat anything that isn't pureed and predictable, panic and run to hide when adults talk to them, clam up with fear and anxiety when other kids try to play with them or scream bloody murder when friendly pets even walk past them etc.....

Makes me a whole mess of angry and sad all at the same time. That's no good kind of way for anyone to have to live.

Comment

I can't stand when parents use threats but have no intent on following through.

I hate the 1...2...3... Method! My favorite word is NOW!

Child gets in trouble by parent and the same parent hugs child to stop from crying.

Comment

Originally posted by mamac View Post
            I was SO thinking of starting this thread today! Not necessarily DC related but pet peeves in general.

I could give a laundry list of pet peeves but I'll name a few:

1) Chewing with your mouth open. It amazes me how many adults do this...
            2) "Snapping" gum and chewing like a cow.
            3) Making up "baby words" to talk to kids. (My MIL would always say things like "Go get the bally!" Wth? I always the correct words, including body parts, with my boys.)
            4) Parents who say, "What is wrong with you?" to their child.
            5) People who eat at restaurants with kids and leave the table and surrounding area completely trashed like they are entitled to be slobs just because it's someone else's job to clean up after them.

And this was just today.....
            Also your #3. I always use correct words. I even correct "ya" to "yes". Only real word in my house. I don't want to have to reteach kids how to talk properly. My husband didn't quite agree with me when we had our daughter 18m now but he does. He even corrects his family now.

Comment

Originally posted by ABCDaycareMN View Post

Child gets in trouble by parent and the same parent hugs child to stop from crying.
              One of my favorite DCM, took a parenting class that said "1...2...3..." is the worst thing you can do. They said that if a child can listen on 3, they can listen on 1. And that you are putting the power in their hands, letting them choose when they want to listen to you.

Comment

Originally posted by blandino View Post
                One of my favorite DCM, took a parenting class that said "1...2...3..." is the worst thing you can do. They said that if a child can listen on 3, they can listen on 1. And that you are putting the power in their hands, letting them choose when they want to listen to you.
                I've never done the 1,2,3 but I never thought of it that way! Totally true!

Comment

Originally posted by blandino View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Willow View Post
                    Helicopter parents and undersocialized kids.

Hands down my biggest two.

I'm not talking run of the mill caution or those with a stay at home parent.....I'm talking parents that never let their children laugh, play in the grass, be loud, get dirty, eat anything that isn't pureed, run to the doctor for every little sniffle, insist on medicating for every little sniffle, break down at the smallest blip in behavior insisting they are completely out of control and must be autistic, ADD, ADHD, sugar intolerant etc.......and kids that look at you like you've got three heads when you make a silly face to get them to laugh, are terrified of playing in the grass, speak only in whispers or allow their parents to speak for them entirely, have a heart attack if they get even the tiniest bit dirty, won't eat anything that isn't pureed and predictable, panic and run to hide when adults talk to them, clam up with fear and anxiety when other kids try to play with them or scream bloody murder when friendly pets even walk past them etc.....

Makes me a whole mess of angry and sad all at the same time. That's no good kind of way for anyone to have to live.
                    :hug:

Comment

I love scribbles..... not even scribbles it is art-

I don't like lets bang the crayons on the table.

I have so many pet peeves or annoyances I should say.......

baby talk
                      helicopter parents--- have to admit I have gone here at times..... but I am talking extreme coptering-
                      Not bringing in what the child needs
                      lateness
                      no phone call
                      no show
                      this list could go on....... think I want to put more thought into the positives for terrific Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by ABCDaycareMN View Post

I can't think of how many times I have heard 1...2....2 1/2 really? 1/2?

Comment

Baby Talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Especially coming out of a grown man!
                          Guess what? Come to find out, 3 year olds can understand even if it's not baby talk! Who knew????? LOL Pass it on.....(yes to one of my DCD's).....please!

Comment

Originally posted by mamac View Post

This! This, this, this!!!

My other big one is not following through. Empty threats and promises teach a child absolutely nothing except that they're in control.

Third is allowing a child to interrupt an adult conversation constantly.

Comment

I loathe baby talk.

One of my friend stopped me once while I was talking to one of my boys. She said, "I love that you talk to them like adults and don't baby talk them. They are going to be so much better for it."
                              Aw, thanks.

I want to slap someone silly when I hear a parent call their child a name. Recently at a party,I witnessed a Dad call his 10 year old son an idiot and when he cried he told him he sounded like a girl. Dh and I immediately removed ourselves from the room because we were so disgusted.

Comment

Working...
                              X