Something to Consider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to Consider

With the recent issue on posting/hurt feelings/drama/etc. I thought the information I'm going to post would be a great learning tool for us all.

I am taking a wonderful class with a lady that is know nation wide for her work with children in childcare settings. She travels all over teaching on all aspects of childcare.

Anyway, this is one of the pieces of information from last nights class.

Communication:

7% WORDS
    35%TONE
    58% BODY LANGUAGE

Anytime you write on the computor or phone-forums/e-mail/blogs/texting/etc. the only thing the reader is really getting is the wording. Know you can get a somewhat of a tone by word choices but at the same time you are not getting the body language.

When someone appears to be hostile, they actually maybe speaking matter of factly but the wording appears hostile. You can't hear the tone or see the body language.

This is why communication is more important to do:

In person
    On the actual phone (not texting)
    Even letter writing can be a better form of writing (something in our brain with our learning style)

So next time you go to post/respond really think if you can actually come across where the person will be able to take in the wording, tone, and body language of your post. Probably not!

Then the next thought should be: should I even post this or respond?
    Each day is a fresh start
    Never look back on regrets
    Live life to the fullest
    We only get one shot at this!!

and your point is :confused:

Comment

and your point is? :: ::

`~ see how much friendlier my words are with smilies attached?

Comment

Thanks for the heart attack!

When I read the first one my immediate thought-did she really not understand and did I upset her.

Your second post reset my heart!
        Each day is a fresh start
        Never look back on regrets
        Live life to the fullest
        We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post

When I read the first one my immediate thought-did she really not understand and did I upset her.

See? I just proved your point. Words are words. Black marks on white backgrounds.

Adding a bit of human element like body language and tone is tough to do...hence the smilies we have.

Adding tone/body language using smilies makes ALL the difference.

Comment

Yes, smilies help a lot!! So does punctuation :P

I do wish we had a bigger/more expressive collection of smilies. Most other forums I've been on have a huge variety.
            Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
              Yes, smilies help a lot!! So does punctuation :P

I do wish we had a bigger/more expressive collection of smilies. Most other forums I've been on have a huge variety.
              I use these: http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php

Just right click on the area where it says "Forum Code" hit copy, then put your cursor on the spot you want the smilies to show up and paste.

Viola` you see the smilie in your post.

Comment

With the recent issue on posting/hurt feelings/drama/etc. I thought the information I'm going to post would be a great learning tool for us all.

I am taking a wonderful class with a lady that is know nation wide for her work with children in childcare settings. She travels all over teaching on all aspects of childcare.

Anyway, this is one of the pieces of information from last nights class.

Communication:

7% WORDS
                35%TONE
                58% BODY LANGUAGE

Anytime you write on the computor or phone-forums/e-mail/blogs/texting/etc. the only thing the reader is really getting is the wording. Know you can get a somewhat of a tone by word choices but at the same time you are not getting the body language.

When someone appears to be hostile, they actually maybe speaking matter of factly but the wording appears hostile. You can't hear the tone or see the body language.

This is why communication is more important to do:

In person
                On the actual phone (not texting)
                Even letter writing can be a better form of writing (something in our brain with our learning style)

So next time you go to post/respond really think if you can actually come across where the person will be able to take in the wording, tone, and body language of your post. Probably not!

Then the next thought should be: should I even post this or respond?
                This is so true... I was raised that it wasn't "what" you say, but "how" you say it.

So often things can misconstrued through texting, emails, etc and a post can totally be taken the wrong way too, because you can't hear the tone or see the body language.

I think when people are anonymous they can be less respectful & considerate of others and this only adds to the animosity in some of the posts.

Remembering that there is an actual person behind the avatar is important.

Comment

I do agree with the idea that we can't read tone into words, however I do also feel it is important to remember to just read the message without trying to infer anything else into it.

I think many of the misunderstandings happen when people jump straight to being defensive rather than just taking the post for what it is. We don't need to climb all over each other but we do need to accept that everyone comes from different places in life and, sometimes suggestions and opinions do have value- even if they differ from your own. That said I will reiterate that if we want to be taken seriously as professionals and use this forum that way we need to take unprofessional behaviour seriously and accept that sometimes "feeling really, really bad" about something that happened just isn't enough. Accountability in life goes a long way.

If this forum is intended more for a social hand-holding and mutual admiration club then that is a completely different story.

Comment

I get it!! Tks for sharing, so true!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mom2many View Post
                        This is so true... I was raised that it wasn't "what" you say, but "how" you say it.

So often things can misconstrued through texting, emails, etc and a post can totally be taken the wrong way too, because you can't hear the tone or see the body language.

I think when people are anonymous they can be less respectful & considerate of others and this only adds to the animosity in some of the posts.

Remembering that there is an actual person behind the avatar is important.
                        Ditto!

Comment

Originally posted by canadiancare View Post
                          I do agree with the idea that we can't read tone into words, however I do also feel it is important to remember to just read the message without trying to infer anything else into it.

I think many of the misunderstandings happen when people jump straight to being defensive rather than just taking the post for what it is. We don't need to climb all over each other but we do need to accept that everyone comes from different places in life and, sometimes suggestions and opinions do have value- even if they differ from your own. That said I will reiterate that if we want to be taken seriously as professionals and use this forum that way we need to take unprofessional behaviour seriously and accept that sometimes "feeling really, really bad" about something that happened just isn't enough. Accountability in life goes a long way.

If this forum is intended more for a social hand-holding and mutual admiration club then that is a completely different story.
                          Agree
                          Homeschooling Mama to:
                          lovethis
                          dd12
                          ds 10
                          dd 8

Comment

Originally posted by canadiancare View Post

I vote this in as best post of the day!!!

Perfectly said!

Comment

::

Comment

Working...
                              X