Had My First Visit Today...Got In Trouble For Swaddling...Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had My First Visit Today...Got In Trouble For Swaddling...Need Advice

Hi All, ...new here. I have been licensed for 1 year...I had my first renewal visit this morning. I have an 11 mo old who will only sleep if he is swaddled. Well, I guess he is to old to be swaddled....news to me! She listed the violation under "Providers must demonstrate an interest in and knowledge of children and a concern for their care and well-being.",,,,huh??? Swaddling is not covered in the "Rules Regulating Family Child Care Homes" nor was is covered in any of our pre-licensing training or any other training that I have had over the past year. She said I could appeal....should I???? BTW...it is nap here and the poor little guy is screaming his head off because he is not swaddled.

Originally posted by sammie View Post
    Hi All, ...new here. I have been licensed for 1 year...I had my first renewal visit this morning. I have an 11 mo old who will only sleep if he is swaddled. Well, I guess he is to old to be swaddled....news to me! She listed the violation under "Providers must demonstrate an interest in and knowledge of children and a concern for their care and well-being.",,,,huh??? Swaddling is not covered in the "Rules Regulating Family Child Care Homes" nor was is covered in any of our pre-licensing training or any other training that I have had over the past year. She said I could appeal....should I???? BTW...it is nap here and the poor little guy is screaming his head off because he is not swaddled.
    I dont have any advice for you. I dont care for children under two, but it might be helpful to others if you list what state you are in.

each state has different rules

Comment

I'm in Colorado

Comment

In michigan you cannot swaddle or even have a blanket in the bed of a baby 12 months and younger. If the baby were to roll over, his/her arms would be swaddled and they would have no way to move. This is from our book.

"Soft objects, bumper pads, stuffed toys, blankets, quilts or comforters, pillows, and other objects that could smother an infant shall not be placed with or under a resting or sleeping infant."

Comment

I would appeal it. I would ask to be shown where it is in writing that it is a regulation to not swaddle a child of that age.

Comment

Originally posted by sammie View Post
            While I agree it is kind of nit-picky for them to have cited you for this rather than simply discussing it with you, I do agree that it IS part of the "demonstrate an interest in and knowledge of children and a concern for their care and well-being" as 11 months is a bit old to be swaddled, although there is nothing wrong with it if a parent chooses to do so.

I have also heard a few people state that swaddling can be bad for a child as it hinders their growth and can cause hip and leg issues.

If you want to remove the citation from your file, I would absolutely argue that following parental wishes for the care of a child supercedes anything else UNLESS the practices parents wish for you to follow are dangerous and/or illegal.

Parents can NEVER give permission for you to do the wrong thing but supporting a parent who chooses to use techniques from attachment parenting type approaches is not wrong or bad.
            Last edited by Blackcat31; 01-09-2013, 01:58 PM.

Comment

ok, so you cant swaddle, but do they have to make it sound like you are Arnold in the scene from Kindergarten Cop and have no clue what you are doing!

Comment

I would look in your provider licensing book and see what it says about sleeping guidlines like what I posted above from the one in Michigan.

Comment

I would absolutely appeal. but at 11 months, its time for this little guy to learn how to sleep unswaddled, it was bound to happen at some point. it will be a rough few days but he will get used to it.

Comment

Is Michigan the only state that says you can't have blankets in the PNP?

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                      I would appeal it. I would ask to be shown where it is in writing that it is a regulation to not swaddle a child of that age.
                      This. She needs to be able to show you the specific regulation where it says babies of a certain age cannot be swaddled.

Comment

Appeal it. If you don't then you are admitting that you are guilty. Then if there ever is a problem of another kind, they have a record of you admitting guilt. It looks bad on your record.

Comment

I LOVE swaddling! That being said what sometimes works for me with an older child (perhaps after he turns 1yo if you have a no blanket rule) is to take a heavier blanket, sometimes I even fold a big blanket in quarters. I have them lay on their tummy and then put the heavy blanket on top of them. The weight of it makes them feel secure, similar to swaddling.

We have that no blanket rule here too and I hate it. We live in Montana, it's chilly! Also after they are over 1yo they can only have ONE blanket. I have several kids who have a snuggy blankie that they cuddle with and then after they fall asleep I like to cover them with another blanket.

Comment

In Michigan we are allowed to use the "SwaddleMe" type blankets and also Halo type sleep sacks. I looked it up a few months ago and the technical assistance manual now has pictures included of what is acceptable.

Comment

I guess I'm a little surprised for 2 reasons...If in fact there is a regulation and the fact that licensing has no idea if this is an everyday routine or if maybe the little one was under the weather and needed a little more love than usual. Either way, I too would appeal!

Comment

Working...
                              X