Do You Earn Money Outside Child Care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
    I worked a part time evening job (6-10pm) a few nights a week for the first 4 years I was running my daycare. I did it more to be around adults and keep up on my job skills (was an HR position) than for the money. Eventually as my own children got older and had more evening activities I couldn't find the free nights to work so I quit - sometimes I'm sorry I left but my nights are filled with sports practices, etc. now and I doubt I will EVER go back to working HR full time again.
    don't you feel like sometimes you live in your van. I know have paper cups and silverware so I can eat too !.

Comment

I make and sell custom wooden furniture. I also make and sell laundry soap, handsoap and dish soap. I don't have a shop, it's strictly word of mouth now. I am actually making an entry bench for my daycare parents (after I go measure and talk shop) I wish I had more time to devote to it, but I don't!

Comment

Me too!

Originally posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
        I sell antiques online. I wish I didn't have to. My mother in law died in April, we have over 6000 items to sell. She was an antique dealer, it is her stock. Tedious, huge hassle, not fun, in fact, I hate it.
        I do too! My husband and I do it by choice though. We go to local flea markets, garage sales and auctions and have aquired some pretty cool little pieces of history to sell. We sell on Ebay.com and Etsy.com and have our own website linking to both etsy and ebay. It is daunting, and tedious...but I LOVE old things :-) ::

Comment

How does everyone have time for this? I'm have literally started doing childcare almost non-stop. After hours its cleaning, paperwork, setting up for the next day, etc.

I still have loads of family things to do on top of this and I've never been a good balancer of work and family.
          Each day is a fresh start
          Never look back on regrets
          Live life to the fullest
          We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

I am a certified personal trainer and am in the process of getting my CPAT certificate so that I can train fire fighters to pass their physical agility test. I do this 4 days a week. early mornings on the week days, saturday morning and afternoon and all day on sunday. I do have 3 other people I work with, so I do not have to work every weekend. BUt I do normally work all morning hours as of late to help pay off my husbands medical school.

I also teach at a soccer coaching clinic, but that is only 3 months out of the year.

Comment

I was going to email you privately, but I'm so enjoying these other stories.

I care for children. Different than my child care children mostly, but always in their home. One family has me come almost every weekend for at least one day. I clean and cook for them also on occasion.

I teach CPR/First Aid.

I clean houses and am a gardener.

Comment

I like these stories also. I still work part-time as a paralegal, my health/dental/optical benefits are fantastic. I only do daycare three days a week.

Comment

Originally posted by MN Mom View Post
                  I do too! My husband and I do it by choice though. We go to local flea markets, garage sales and auctions and have aquired some pretty cool little pieces of history to sell. We sell on Ebay.com and Etsy.com and have our own website linking to both etsy and ebay. It is daunting, and tedious...but I LOVE old things :-) ::
                  Do you have a link to your website? I'd love to take a look .

Comment

I work as a personal caregiver to an elderly woman in her home 2 nights a week. The shift is 7pm-7am and I can sleep there. Bonus is that my husband cleans the house and puts the kids to bed 2 nights/week and the pay is not bad either.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
                      How does everyone have time for this? I'm have literally started doing childcare almost non-stop. After hours its cleaning, paperwork, setting up for the next day, etc.

I still have loads of family things to do on top of this and I've never been a good balancer of work and family.
                      I do two hours of work before I start my day home. In the first hour it is free play so I prep crafts for the next day. I do another hour and a half of work at rest time while making the food for the next day. That is when I make my calls and return them. I have a headset for hands free. The last hour of the day is cleaning the day home, getting the children involved so they are in eye sight and busy. They move the toys for me to vacuum and put them back and do other things. My day is then complete, food cooked and I spend one or two hours at night doing other work for my business. Sometimes I do all of my night work on the weekend in a five hour block. That is how I work my time. Mind you my other business is completely online and phone based so I don't have to even go outside or meet people.

Comment

Working...
                      X