No announcement yet.

Do You Earn Money Outside Child Care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do. I work 4 to as many as I want hours per month as a homecare RN. I don't at all miss working full-time in this field, as full-time was extremely overtime and I never saw my kids/husband. But it's good to keep my skills up should I ever leave home daycare, which I hope I never have to do. Niether one provide retirement options, so I guess my retirement plan is to work forever!

Comment

Several! I work very part-time as a NICU RN and a Lactation Consultant - right now it has been about 3 days per month, but I could work as many as I would like.

Also, we have 3 rental homes. So, for the past three weeks I have been tearing out carpet, painting, moving appliances, very glamourous stuff. Right now my husband does most of the business side of this.

My daycare hours are very short as compared to many of the providers on this board. I am open Mon-Thursday from 7:30-4:30
      MnMum married to DH 9 years
      Mum to Girl 21, Girl 18, Boy 14.5, Boy 11

Comment

I work as a Therapist, my hours are flexible. I think that actually helps my families take some of my recommendations!

Comment

I am a nurse, and a Scentsy consultant- I have been a nurse for 20 yrs. quit almost 10 yrs. ago, and I have been selling Scentsy for 3 yrs. and LOVE IT!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
            I sell Close To My Heart scrapbooking supplies.
            I love their stuff.

Comment

I too made hair bows and such, this year the big festival was cancelled so I do have an etsy shop but haven't paid too much attention to it because we've been busy but I just lost a girl and now I need to pay attention to my shop.

Comment

I just started Pampered Chef!

Comment

I tried Avon for a little while but didnt make any money off it. I have been working part time at Lowe's during the week, now just the weekends. Its hard because i miss spending time with my wife. We havent really had any time together as a whole family in a while
                  "God said, ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart. He will do everything I want him to do.'"
                  Acts 13:22

Comment

For extra money, I am an Usborne rep. :-)

For just volunteer jobs, nothing that brings in an extra income, I am a car seat tech (I do car seat clinics through a friend's baby and maternity store), I'm a Certified Lactation Educator (I spend a few hours on Saturdays at my local hospital volunteering because their only IBC lactation consultant, the one they pay, is there business hours, Monday to Friday, and they have no one over the weekend. I had my first child on a Saturday and with no lactation consultant until Monday, we were having a really rough go of it. Then I also volunteer my time for about a week, 4 times a year, proofreading stories for a natural birth advocacy magazine.

Between my volunteer work, my Usborne sales job, and my home day care...my house is being totally neglected. I'm taking a break with a coffee right now and then going straight back at purging and cleaning, LOL.

Comment

MaritimeMummy, how do you become a car seat tech? We really, really need one here. The fire department used to do it, but the guy didn't renew his certification and he won't even look at a car seat without it. I begged him to just double check, not for insurance or anything, just my peace of mind, but he wouldn't do it.

The nearest one is 35 miles away and only available a few days weekdays by appointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunchimes View Post
                        MaritimeMummy, how do you become a car seat tech? We really, really need one here. The fire department used to do it, but the guy didn't renew his certification and he won't even look at a car seat without it. I begged him to just double check, not for insurance or anything, just my peace of mind, but he wouldn't do it.

The nearest one is 35 miles away and only available a few days weekdays by appointment.
                        I cant believe he wouldnt look at it, i wouldnt want to be responsible for not having had the chance to save a life. YOu just never know
                        "God said, ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart. He will do everything I want him to do.'"
                        Acts 13:22

Comment

Check with your nearest hospital, they may have someone who does car seat checks, but only by appointment.

Comment

I emailed a specific department in my provinces' children's hospital. I was extremely disappointed when my sister in law gave birth because she actually gave birth in this children's hospital, which also offers prenatal, postpartum, and women's health care. It's supposed to be the top place in the Maritime provinces to give birth. Well, she gave birth there, and there was NO ONE on staff to install her car seat. NO ONE. It really made me mad that my local rinky-dink hospital can supply a paid car seat tech 5 days a week during working hours, but the top maternity and delivery hospital in the same province that trains car seat techs can NOT staff one. Ridiculous. I've been seriously considering making the hour-long drive to that hospital to volunteer an evening a week if I wasn't already so damn busy. No new parent should leave a hospital not knowing how the car seat is supposed to go in. That's awful.

Comment

I agree. When I first started dc, I asked one of my moms who helped her install her seat. She said the hospital info packets said they would do it before she would be allowed to take the baby home, but no one did. I called and they didn't know what I was talking about.

My insurance company doesn't even have any suggestions.

Comment

I worked a part time evening job (6-10pm) a few nights a week for the first 4 years I was running my daycare. I did it more to be around adults and keep up on my job skills (was an HR position) than for the money. Eventually as my own children got older and had more evening activities I couldn't find the free nights to work so I quit - sometimes I'm sorry I left but my nights are filled with sports practices, etc. now and I doubt I will EVER go back to working HR full time again.

Comment

Working...
                                X