Not Swaddling For Naps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
    Ugh, that is frustrating! Especially when you KNOW that something different is going on at home. Honestly, I think I would just come right out and ask mom to show you how she lays him down for a nap. Have her come to daycare and do it for you. If she swears up and down that he is not swaddled at home then have her help you come up with a plan of how to put him down for nap at your house. Have her tell you if she wants him to CIO (and for how long) or call her so she can come get him if her plan isn't working.

Give the issue back to her. I know it is a problem at daycare but she needs to help you have a plan for what to do while he is at daycare so you don't have to feel bad for having him CIO and so that you don't go bonkers listening to him cry for extended periods of time. kwim?

Here in MN we aren't allowed to have anything (including blankets, stuffed animals or pillows) inside a crib when kids under 12 months are sleeping so tucking a blanket snuggly around him would not be an option here.

I do think he is way too old to be swaddled in my opinion.

IN WI, they can have a light blanket, tucked around them, nothing else, until they are a year..

Comment

Hi, I'm fairly new here and I read your post with interest because I recently had a 3 month enroll and I was asked to swaddle him. It really does assist him in calming down at that age. However I cannot imagine still swaddling a child 9 months old no matter what the weight.

This must be so frustrating for you ! I think I would have to suffer and allow him to CIO, I don't think it would take but a week or so.

As for his weight, my 3.5 yo granddaughter only weighs 35 pounds. What is mom feeding him ? Hope she ditches the cheetos fast, she's setting him up for a lifetime of bad habits. I bet he drinks juice at home ?

Good luck with this & I hope you let us know how it resolves itself.

Comment

If they sleep better snuggly, then we swaddle them. Once they can turn over, we leave their arms out.

I would buy a sleep sack for him. They aren't as tight as a swaddler, but they are still cozy.

I don't see why a child "needs" to learn to sleep without being cozy. They are only babies once and they might as well enjoy it as long as they can.

Comment

Originally posted by CheekyChick View Post
          If they sleep better snuggly, then we swaddle them. Once they can turn over, we leave their arms out.

I would buy a sleep sack for him. They aren't as tight as a swaddler, but they are still cozy.

I don't see why a child "needs" to learn to sleep without being cozy. The are only babies once and they might as well enjoy it as long as they can.
          well I think most of us agree that it is a problem when we cant accommodate what the child wants. Swaddling a 35lb child is not going to work and it may even be hard to find the largest size sleep sacks for a kid this big. Normally this size is a preschooler! I am happy to put baby to sleep anyway they like (as long as it is safe!) but with a huge unhappy kid like this, sounds like the OP is going to have to do some CIO with him just from lack of options.

Comment

I don't see why a child "needs" to learn to sleep without being cozy. The are only babies once and they might as well enjoy it as long as they can.
            I used the phrase "needs to learn" to sleep without being swaddled so I am assuming your comment was directed at my response.

However, whether or not I think a baby needs a blanket or swaddling has no bearing because our licensing rules do not allow it.

Comment

Usually by that age they have outgrown swaddling and learned to sleep on there own. It will be an adjustment but it will happen. I think as long as he can roll over freely he would be fine on his stomach. Good luck.
              Debbie

Comment

I used the phrase "needs to learn" to sleep without being swaddled so I am assuming your comment was directed at my response.

However, whether or not I think a baby needs a blanket or swaddling has no bearing because our licensing rules do not allow it.
                They don't allow a sleep sack or swaddlig blanket with velcro?

Comment

They don't allow a sleep sack or swaddlig blanket with velcro?
                  My licensor says "infants under 12 months MUST be placed in a crib on a flat service with no blankets, covers or unnecessary garments." When asked about "unnecessary garments" she said she would assume that meant sleep sacks and swaddling blankets. :confused:

So, I am NOT allowed to use anything. I know each state/licensor interprets the words differently but that is what I have been told.

Thankfully, I have not had any issues with babies and sleeping....just babies and screaming ALL the time.

Comment

My licensor says "infants under 12 months MUST be placed in a crib on a flat service with no blankets, covers or unnecessary garments." When asked about "unnecessary garments" she said she would assume that meant sleep sacks and swaddling blankets. :confused:

So, I am NOT allowed to use anything. I know each state/licensor interprets the words differently but that is what I have been told.

Thankfully, I have not had any issues with babies and sleeping....just babies and screaming ALL the time.
                    That sounds horrible! I wouldn't have a clue how to get a really young infant (under 6 months) to sleep without a swaddle. Thats probably why they scream all the time good naps are so important!

Comment

That stinks... Most infants sleep better being snuggly and cozy. I think that's nuts you can't use a swadling blanket with velcro. I can see them not allowing using a standard blanket to swaddle, but velcro keeps it on tight and safe.

Comment

I don't think you should swaddle a child that old. Where is this child at developmentally? Swaddling limits self discovery as someone else mentioned so I am wondering where this kid is at with moving around other times of the day.

I do not believe swaddling is the key to success for all kids. I weaned both kids off swaddling by 3 months or so and am not allowed to swaddle dck happyface so I don't have to deal with that issue regularly.

I did have dck who was swaddled at home and previous dc and I got her about 6months old. Took 2 solid months to get her used to sleeping without a swaddle burrito. Best naptime kid now. Sleeps 3 hrs or lays silent for naptime with no issues if not tired on a rare occassion.

I'd be worried about sids especially because you said dck was sweaty. Overheating a kid is not healthy and has been linked to sids deaths.

Put in bed without swaddle, cio, check regularly. Do what's best for the kid not you.

Comment

Wow Cat, that's just crazy! I can understand none of the "extras" like stuffed animals, bumpers, and such. I can understand back-to-sleep, but not even A BLANKET? or a sleep sack? "unnecessary garments?" what the heck does that even mean? I'm picturing a naked baby in the crib now, because even just a diaper, is a danger...they COULD pull off the diaper tapes and choke, or put the diaper over their face. :confused:

I think we all know that SIDS is not caused by blankets...SIDS means there is no explanation, after all. If a child suffocates in a blanket, that's not SIDS! I'd like to know statisically just how many times that happens.

I know you didn't write those regs yourself Cat, so I'm not picking on you. I just don't get it I guess, and I'm grateful our state hasn't done that...

Comment

I disagree. I like that the rules are so clear. Keeps me from having to explain why I won't do x or x for each baby who's parents interview. They know if your licensed those are the rules. Keeps dc providers from doing things they shouldn't.

Comment

Working...
                            X