Not Swaddling For Naps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Swaddling For Naps...

I have a dcb who is 9.5mo. He is close to 35lbs. He's huge. He just started rolling over this last week, so I told dcm no more swaddling for naps. First of all I don't have a blanket big enough TO swaddle him anymore and technically he should be able to sleep without it... Right?

He's been crying for an hour... He's fed, dry and burped... The only difference is not being swaddled in his "burrito"...

Am I wrong? Should I still be swaddling the almost 10mo giant dcbaby?? I worry he will be swaddled and roll onto his stomach and not be able to breathe. Then again he did fall asleep for a second and when I checked on him he was sleeping directly on his face... I rolled him over and it scared him and he hasn't stopped crying since!

HELP! What should I do??

Can you wean him and swaddle just under the arms for awhile? After he gets used to that, do away with the blanket all together. Whatever you decide, its going to involve crying so dont feel bad.....just hang in there, could be a week or two.

As for his weight....I just cant imagine a kid this big! My four year old is very big herself and weighs 43 lbs, my two year old weighs 30.....

Comment

Unfortunately, he needs to "learn" how to fall asleep without being swaddled.

Not much you can really do besides try to soothe him by going in every so often and maybe rubbing his back or maybe playing white noise or soft music.

This is also one of those things where it is absolutley essential that the parents are on board with trying to teach this little guy to fall asleep without being swaddled. If they are still going to do it at home and not work with you, then you are going to find yourself in a tough situation. He is going to have to CIO or you will want to term if you don't want to be a slave to his need for swaddling....

Mom needs to make the first step and start teaching little one to fall asleep on his own.....

Good luck, this is the hardest part about havin ginfants in care....

Comment

Maybe try a sleep sack? I've never actually swaddled a baby that age or size before, so that's all I can think of .

Comment

Originally posted by cheerfuldom View Post
          Can you wean him and swaddle just under the arms for awhile? After he gets used to that, do away with the blanket all together. Whatever you decide, its going to involve crying so dont feel bad.....just hang in there, could be a week or two.

As for his weight....I just cant imagine a kid this big! My four year old is very big herself and weighs 43 lbs, my two year old weighs 30.....
          I will try this! He is very large. He is in size 4 diapers and weighs more than my 2.5yo. Dcm informed me this morning that she's been giving him Cheetos... Yes, I'm sure that will help ... Geez

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            Unfortunately, he needs to "learn" how to fall asleep without being swaddled.

Not much you can really do besides try to soothe him by going in every so often and maybe rubbing his back or maybe playing white noise or soft music.

This is also one of those things where it is absolutley essential that the parents are on board with trying to teach this little guy to fall asleep without being swaddled. If they are still going to do it at home and not work with you, then you are going to find yourself in a tough situation. He is going to have to CIO or you will want to term if you don't want to be a slave to his need for swaddling....

Mom needs to make the first step and start teaching little one to fall asleep on his own.....

Good luck, this is the hardest part about havin ginfants in care....
            Dcm "SAYS" they never swaddle him... However he's still crying... I will never understand why they feel they have to lie! It's so obvious that's not the case! I feel like we always have to play games and I'm irritated today it doesn't have to be this hard! KWIM?!

Comment

Originally posted by MyAngels View Post
              Maybe try a sleep sack? I've never actually swaddled a baby that age or size before, so that's all I can think of .
              Here's the thing... I'll try to word this as nicely as I can... He's basically obese. I found that last week while I was still swaddling him he was just sweating so profusely that he would be soaking wet when he woke up. I definitely think it would be in his best interest to learn to sleep on his own... I just think its going to be a rough week or two to transition. A big part of me wants to run and rescue him, swaddle and let him sleep peacefully, but in the long run this is what he needs, right

Comment

Originally posted by Soupyszoo View Post
                I have a dcb who is 9.5mo. He is close to 35lbs. He's huge. He just started rolling over this last week, so I told dcm no more swaddling for naps. First of all I don't have a blanket big enough TO swaddle him anymore and technically he should be able to sleep without it... Right?

He's been crying for an hour... He's fed, dry and burped... The only difference is not being swaddled in his "burrito"...

Am I wrong? Should I still be swaddling the almost 10mo giant dcbaby?? I worry he will be swaddled and roll onto his stomach and not be able to breathe. Then again he did fall asleep for a second and when I checked on him he was sleeping directly on his face... I rolled him over and it scared him and he hasn't stopped crying since!

HELP! What should I do??
                You are not wrong at all. A baby that size needs all hands and feet out and available for self-discovery. The transition will probably be a bit rough but he will adjust eventually..

Comment

9 months old and 35 lbs? wowie!

I would just tuck the blanket around him (or use a sleep sack). Firm enough that he feels a little pressure, but loose enough that he can kick or pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by bbo View Post
                    9 months old and 35 lbs? wowie!

I would just tuck the blanket around him (or use a sleep sack). Firm enough that he feels a little pressure, but loose enough that he can kick or pull it off.
                    So again he fell asleep on his face.... What ii give him a blanket and he pulls it up and then falls asleep with his facein the blanket? I just have him in there alone. No blanket...

Yea he's huge! No really! HUGE! I thought about swaddling him in a bed sheet because he gets so hot and that's all that will fit around him. Now that he rolls its time to adjust! Not going so well so far though.

Comment

So again he fell asleep on his face.... What ii give him a blanket and he pulls it up and then falls asleep with his facein the blanket? I just have him in there alone. No blanket...

Yea he's huge! No really! HUGE! I thought about swaddling him in a bed sheet because he gets so hot and that's all that will fit around him. Now that he rolls its time to adjust! Not going so well so far though.
                      ohhhh...now I get your concern!

Ok, I have to be honest, I would not even think of that at that age. I wake up with several blankets on my head now and then, and always have. Oh, and I have a husband under those blankets too...now THERE's some real danger!

How about a small, light blanket? Something you'd feel ok with? Like a receiving blanket?

Comment

Dcm "SAYS" they never swaddle him... However he's still crying... I will never understand why they feel they have to lie! It's so obvious that's not the case! I feel like we always have to play games and I'm irritated today it doesn't have to be this hard! KWIM?!
                        Ugh, that is frustrating! Especially when you KNOW that something different is going on at home. Honestly, I think I would just come right out and ask mom to show you how she lays him down for a nap. Have her come to daycare and do it for you. If she swears up and down that he is not swaddled at home then have her help you come up with a plan of how to put him down for nap at your house. Have her tell you if she wants him to CIO (and for how long) or call her so she can come get him if her plan isn't working.

Give the issue back to her. I know it is a problem at daycare but she needs to help you have a plan for what to do while he is at daycare so you don't have to feel bad for having him CIO and so that you don't go bonkers listening to him cry for extended periods of time. kwim?

Here in MN we aren't allowed to have anything (including blankets, stuffed animals or pillows) inside a crib when kids under 12 months are sleeping so tucking a blanket snuggly around him would not be an option here.

I do think he is way too old to be swaddled in my opinion.

Comment

I never swaddle children, too much of a chance of suffocation. Nothing in the pack and play or crib, bassinett, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by momma2girls View Post
                            I never swaddle children, too much of a chance of suffocation. Nothing in the pack and play or crib, bassinett, etc....
                            What do you do with really young infants, like 3 months or so? I've found that the younger they are the more they love to be swaddled and it helps them sleep so much better! I have a 3mo that just rolled over too so I can't swaddle her much longer either and I'm worried...

Comment

I don't swaddle, I mostly do 6 months and over, so I don't have any newborns at all. Once they start to roll over, they will not like to be swaddled any longer, or it will come all undone. Some have a difficult time with rolling over and not liking it at first, til they eventually get used to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X