Providing Tax Forms For Past Clients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Providing Tax Forms For Past Clients

I have an old family that was just horrible to me. Yesterday they text me asking for their tax information for when their child was present.

I am not one to ever stoop to anyones level, but this family was beyond horrible to me and I have no intentions of doing anything for them at all. I will however, sign the document as needed.

I know that I do not have to go out of my way and provide the form for them. Should I just ask them to send me a W10 filled out and I sign it and send it back?

I already closed my book for 2011....

How do you guys go about this????? I just really don't want to have anything to do with this family...

Personally, if you just want to avoid any contact, print out the W-10 from MMK and send it off to them without a word.

If you don't have a total for them for the year they are asking then print off a W-10 form that is blank and send it to them with a note saying it is their responisibility to keep a running total as you don't have that info anymore.

Comment

I would just print it off of MMK and let it go. Do not sign a blank form.

Comment

I agree with your first suggestion and that would be the easiest. However, I accidentally created two accounts through mmk when the old one from 2011 expired back in jan. So the man from MMK told me that I will have to pay money to get my past info from 2011. Basically they will take time off of my current account and reinstate my old account so that I can access the information.

Ugh what a nightmare....

Comment

Originally posted by sharlan View Post
          I would just print it off of MMK and let it go. Do not sign a blank form.
          The W-10 form is blank and there is nowhere on it to record the totals. Adding the totals to the W-10 form through MMK allows you to add the total. Providing the parent a W-10 is the legal way to go but there is no law saying you have to provide a year end total so if a parent wants to claim more than they paid they have to proove it.

A W-10 form is ALWAYS blank as far as year end totals go.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            The W-10 form is blank and there is nowhere on it to record the totals. Adding the totals to the W-10 form through MMK allows you to add the total. Providing the parent a W-10 is the legal way to go but there is no law saying you have to provide a year end total so if a parent wants to claim more than they paid they have to proove it.

A W-10 form is ALWAYS blank as far as year end totals go.
            So if I sign it blank, they can still claim whatever they want and of course its up to them to prove that amount to the IRS correct??

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
              I agree with your first suggestion and that would be the easiest. However, I accidentally created two accounts through mmk when the old one from 2011 expired back in jan. So the man from MMK told me that I will have to pay money to get my past info from 2011. Basically they will take time off of my current account and reinstate my old account so that I can access the information.

Ugh what a nightmare....
              In that case send the W-10 with your EIN number on it and send a note telling them you don't keep track of individual totals and that responsibility falls on them.

After they receive the W-10, you don't have to respond to any contact from them as you fuflfilled your obligations to them fully and then some.

....or you could tell them it will cost them $69.95 (the cost of MMK) to get that info for them. LOL!!

The W-10 can be blank and they can claim thousands ore than they actually apid and it still isn't your problem. They have to have proof of what they paid if they are audited. It you are audited, you have receipts to prove what you took in so you are fine either way no matter what they claim.

Comment

In that case send the W-10 with your EIN number on it and send a note telling them you don't keep track of individual totals and that responsibility falls on them.

After they receive the W-10, you don't have to respond to any contact from them as you fuflfilled your obligations to them fully and then some.

....or you could tell them it will cost them $69.95 (the cost of MMK) to get that info for them. LOL!!

The W-10 can be blank and they can claim thousands ore than they actually apid and it still isn't your problem. They have to have proof of what they paid if they are audited. It you are audited, you have receipts to prove what you took in so you are fine either way no matter what they claim.
                I guess the only issue is that I already provided them all with a monthly recpt and they KNOW that I keep a track of all of it.

I think I will just email them my EIN number and tell them to claim what their records indicate.

Comment

I guess the only issue is that I already provided them all with a monthly recpt and they KNOW that I keep a track of all of it.

I think I will just email them my EIN number and tell them to claim what their records indicate.
                  But just because you kept track of it doesn't mean you still have access to the info....kwim? It shouldn't be your problem that they lost the info.

I agree, give them the EIN and tell them you already did your part (giving a receipt at time of payment).

Comment

But just because you kept track of it doesn't mean you still have access to the info....kwim? It shouldn't be your problem that they lost the info.

I agree, give them the EIN and tell them you already did your part (giving a receipt at time of payment).
                    thanks black cat

I will do just that. As much as I dont want to be a pain, I am also not going to go out of my way to be helpful.

I think your idea will work just fine...

Comment

I send year end tax receipts to every client that made me payments during the previous year.

This includes any deposits I received but children never started.

I mail them out to the last known address or I hand them to them directly on their last day of services.

Comment

Originally posted by wdmmom View Post
                        I send year end tax receipts to every client that made me payments during the previous year.

This includes any deposits I received but children never started.

I mail them out to the last known address or I hand them to them directly on their last day of services.
                        I think I will start doing this. Handing them out on their last day of service. Then its up to them to file it and keep it...

Comment

I think I will start doing this. Handing them out on their last day of service. Then its up to them to file it and keep it...
                          thanks for the idea

Comment

I have been going so far as printing out monthly payment reports for each family. I make two copies and have the parent sign both and I keep one and give them the other for their own records. I lovethis MMK for this reason alone! They make reports so simple.

Comment

I have been going so far as printing out monthly payment reports for each family. I make two copies and have the parent sign both and I keep one and give them the other for their own records. I lovethis MMK for this reason alone! They make reports so simple.
                              I tell my parents please create a folder in your email in box and name it Daycare Receipts.

I email out a monthly rcpt on the 5th of each month. then the email goes straight into that folder. They should have 13 of them. One of them is for their deposit.

Comment

Working...
                              X