Reoccurring (BAD) Diaper Rash...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reoccurring (BAD) Diaper Rash...

Not sure what the issue is but every so often DCB (2) comes in with a horrible diaper rash. It just develops SO FAST, despite frequent diaper changes. It gets raw, weepy, and he screams during each diaper change. He poops this little poops, that I don't smell, I only notice because he's walking funny, then I change him, he screams, lather rinse repeat. I know part of the problem is that when he gets rashy he doesn't "let go" of everything in his bowels, thus the multiple little poops every day. One time it got so bad they took him to the doctor and they prescribed a cream to apply 3x a day (only 1x here though) and it cleared up within a couple days.

Anyways, I'm not sure why I'm posting. Suggestions, experiences? I just feel so bad for this little boy, but also find myself being frustrated because he poops then 10 minutes later he poops again and I have to go through the whole routine or another diaper change, more screaming/crying, etc.

(He also is on soy milk because he can't have regular milk)

Originally posted by KEG123 View Post
    Not sure what the issue is but every so often DCB (2) comes in with a horrible diaper rash. It just develops SO FAST, despite frequent diaper changes. It gets raw, weepy, and he screams during each diaper change. He poops this little poops, that I don't smell, I only notice because he's walking funny, then I change him, he screams, lather rinse repeat. I know part of the problem is that when he gets rashy he doesn't "let go" of everything in his bowels, thus the multiple little poops every day. One time it got so bad they took him to the doctor and they prescribed a cream to apply 3x a day (only 1x here though) and it cleared up within a couple days.

Anyways, I'm not sure why I'm posting. Suggestions, experiences? I just feel so bad for this little boy, but also find myself being frustrated because he poops then 10 minutes later he poops again and I have to go through the whole routine or another diaper change, more screaming/crying, etc.

(He also is on soy milk because he can't have regular milk)
    My best friend's daughter is like that. She gives probiotics and said they have done a world of difference!!

On a side note, soy can cause problems too. Maybe try almond milk or coconut milk.

Comment

I feel for you! It sounds like maybe he's getting a food once in a while that may cause it? Maybe start a log or something like that. My DCB can't have milk either but that's not our problem. My DCB that has rashes but more often is because the DCM doesn't change him is what I have come to realise. Kids arrive on Mondays bad rash sometimes even bleeding. Heals up better and better each day with me. Friday all gone. Monday bad rash again. You do the math but DCD also told me DCM is lazy and doesn't tend to the kids as she should. This has been so bad it has lead to other serious issues but that's another story. I don't really have much advise other than frequent checks & changes. These kids here are 4 1/2 yrs and 3 yrs don't have ANY potty training at home and don't even know to tell me they are sitting in it because the are obviously use to sitting in it at home so I have to constantly check like they are infants. I ask if they have wet and they say no even if they are sitting in a pile of poo. Very sad and frustrating situation so I really do feel for u. I wish you luck and a solution.

Comment

I had a little girl that got really bad diaper rash anytime she had juice. Idk it's worth a shot if you wanna try not giving any juice for like a week and see if that helps..

Comment

I know it's not from lack of diaper changes, mom and dad say they let him run around naked at home since they are working on pt at home. (though he NEVER tells me when he pees or poops unless I ask him) and I also change him a ton here too. Like day before yesterday (wed) he came in fine, and by lunch I could tell a rash was brewing. By Thursday morning it was full blown. Today too.

And we don't give just that often, maybe 1x per week. They also say that cheese and other dairy does not affect him.

Comment

My dgd was allergic to her own feces and we had to coat her bottom every change with vaseline. Another child was allergic to disposable diapers, had to use cloth. Soy could be the problem, does the area around his lips get real red if he eats ranch dressing? Other soy? He could be having a reaction to ascorbic acid, to much citrus, tomatoes, juice, etc…

Good Luck. You get to be a detective!
            I see little people.

Comment

I have a similar problem with a 9 mo dcg. She has multiple, very loose stools (sometimes diarrhea, otherwise just VERY loose) that do not smell. I have never had a dck with poops that don't smell. Anyway, it's very frustrating b/c she also has very very sensitive skin, and gets rash very easily. There is a particular area, in which the rash has raised bumps and just refuses to go away- even after bowels seemed to settle down for a few days. It was at that time that I suggested to her parents I think she may have a yeast infection. This was about two weeks ago; and today FINALLY the mom brought in some antifungal cream for yeast infection. We'll see if this works.

When you said in your post that dcb has very little poops often, are they small round (rabbit-like) pellets? Usually they have these types of small bm's when they are constipated. For this, I suggest probiotics or just lots of foods high in fiber- and lots of fruits and veggies. Remember, too, that boys can get yeast infections in their diaper area. If the rash just does not go away with diaper rash cream, it could be a yeast infection. Something to look into.

Comment

This could also be a yeast infection.

Suggest a Dr visit

Comment

Originally posted by Childminder View Post
                  My dgd was allergic to her own feces and we had to coat her bottom every change with vaseline. Another child was allergic to disposable diapers, had to use cloth. Soy could be the problem, does the area around his lips get real red if he eats ranch dressing? Other soy? He could be having a reaction to ascorbic acid, to much citrus, tomatoes, juice, etc…

Good Luck. You get to be a detective!
                  Childminder- I have a dcb whose lips get real red after eating ranch dressing. Does that suggest a soy allergy?

Comment

Originally posted by Lilbutterflie View Post
                    Childminder- I have a dcb whose lips get real red after eating ranch dressing. Does that suggest a soy allergy?
                    If I can make a suggestion here. My son had the same problem at times so we did a test. We took the 2 dif kinds of ranch dressing we use and dabbed 1 on each cheek. After a few mins or so we wiped them off. The Kraft ranch made his cheek red but the store brand didn't. There was something in the Kraft dressing that wasn't in the store brand, not soy because he can have soy and no problems. Just thought you might want to try that before thinking soy allergy in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilbutterflie View Post
                      Our friend's daughter has that issue. She's actually allergic to wheat. It's not listed on Hidden Valley Ranch, but I know it does have gluten (I'm Celiac) so maybe it's hidden in there somewhere.

Comment

We don't do ranch here. That is MY special sauce. LOL We don't do too many citruses or tomatoes, though... I think the rash did come about the day after we had some tomatoes for lunch (mixed with beans in a burrito) though, I'm still not sure it's related.

The poops are not hard, ever. His stools have always been soft, borderline diarrhea, the whole time he's been here (a year in may). Only a few times do I actually remember things being somewhat firm down there.

The doctor did not say it was yeast. I also know what yeast rash looks like since my son has had one before. This rash is more like... red, not raised, almost like a sunburn around his bum. Hard to explain a rash though without seeing pictures, which I'm not gonna go there. Actually I just googled the cream and it is an antibiotic.

Comment

I don't know if it is a soy allergy or something else in the Kraft dressing but it is made of soy. Dcb kept breaking out and had nasty dipes turned out it was the soy (he was tested).

I am a great believer in yogurt to clear up intestinal issues but some kids are dairy sensitive so yogurt is a no-no. You can get Lactinex granules, which is a culture in yogurt that can be put into other foods is something you can get from the pharmacist. I'm not certain but you might be able to get probiotics in another form?
                          I see little people.

Comment

I had a little boy who got horrible rashes every time he pooped because of juice also until I started keeping his bottom coated with diaper ointment.

Comment

That's another thing, we did milk half and half with soy for a couple weeks to transition him. He was doing fine IMO, his poops were finally starting to solidify a bit, and he was going way less often, and then they decided to change him back to soy? "because he burped a couple times and they smelled like spitup" ????

Comment

Working...
                              X