Annoying 13 Month Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying 13 Month Old

I have a 13 month old that doesn't stay anywhere! IF I put him in the exersaucer while I go to the bathroom or prepare lunch, he climbs out. He tries to climb out of his booster seat at the table. I even have a tray for the seat. Now, today, he tried to get out of the pack n'play. He had his arms on top of the packn'play and his legs were halfway up. I know this topic just came up about when moving toddlers out of the packn'plays to the floor(or whatever) for their naps. But I can't do that at 13 months. He'll just mosey all over the floor. Help!

When he crawls out of whatever or attempts to crawl out, I would place him in a highchair and strap him in. And everytime he does it, the highchair he will go. That is awful young to be climbing out of pnp. Good luck.

Comment

I agree with Mac, the first thing I thought was HIGH CHAIR!

Comment

wow - i'm appalled - BABY TRAPS is what i call things like high chairs and bouncy seats.

my infants (when i have them) don't even sleep in a crib, but they sleep in a "nest." Google it if you don't know.

i'm here to care for the children and cater to their needs - not force them to sit still and/or take naps if they aren't ready.

afterall, i do get paid to do this.

highchairs are for feeding, not restraining, but i don't even like the traditional highchairs.

i say if you consider a child "annoying" then you be honest with the parents that you aren't the right fit - so they can find a provider who doesn't find their child annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by QualiTcare View Post
          wow - i'm appalled - BABY TRAPS is what i call things like high chairs and bouncy seats.

my infants (when i have them) don't even sleep in a crib, but they sleep in a "nest." Google it if you don't know.

i'm here to care for the children and cater to their needs - not force them to sit still and/or take naps if they aren't ready.

highchairs are for feeding, not restraining, but i don't even like the traditional highchairs.

i say if you consider a child "annoying" then you be honest with the parents that you aren't the right fit - so they can find a provider who doesn't find their child annoying.
          not to start a war.....i'm not for restraining them ALL the time either....but.....

how do you get anything done? how would you change others' diapers if this little one is getting into something he's not supposed to? how are you in the kitchen cooking when little johnny is roaming free and swimming in the toilet bowl? like i said, i don't like to restrain them all the time, and for no reason....but there are times when you HAVE to get stuff done, and keep the little ones SAFE at the SAME time. when i'm in the kitchen, you'd better believe the 2 year old are in high chairs coloring while waiting for lunch. and when the very active school agers come home from school the baby gets put in a p'n'p or a saucer for a little while so the big kids don;t trample him until they all settle down. we get paid to keep them SAFE.

JMHO

Comment

Assuming (yes I know I shouldn't) you do daycare out of your home, Tennessee Rule 1204-04-04-04 1c states "Babies and toddlers shall have additional equipment for comfort and safety, such as
            cribs, high chairs, etc."

Tennessee Rule 1204-04-04-05 3c states that "Each child under 15 months of age and any child unable to walk shall have his/her own
            crib or playpen and bedding for napping."

If my licensor saw an infant in my care not sleeping in a crib, I could be and would be reprimanded.

A child care providers main duty is to ensure the child is cared for in a safe environment while the parents are away.

To me it sounded like Melissa Ann was trying to figure a way to keep this child safe while he is in her care. Whether it's a quick trip to the bathroom, hot items in the kitchen, or other daily activities the child needs to stay safe.

As far as finding the child annoying, I think there is nothing wrong or offensive about it, and is definitely not grounds for immediate termination. Children can be annoying, frustrating, trying, irksome, bothersome, irritating, handfuls or bundles of energy. It doesn't matter which word you use to describe, those can all be used interchangeably. Just because a person finds another person annoying, it doesn't mean that the second person is ALWAYS annoying.

If I couldn't use the bathroom for two minutes because a child in my care was a bundle of energy and I couldn't be assured of his safety, even though I was doing everything I could think of to keep him safe for those few moments, I'd probably be annoyed too. That doesn't mean I'd terminate him, I'd seek advice and suggestions from others.
            Give a little love to a child, and you get a great deal back.

Comment

Originally posted by GretasLittleFriends View Post
              If I couldn't use the bathroom for two minutes because a child in my care was a bundle of energy and I couldn't be assured of his safety, even though I was doing everything I could think of to keep him safe for those few moments, I'd probably be annoyed too. That doesn't mean I'd terminate him, I'd seek advice and suggestions from others.
              agreed....and would like to add....

although we all have different opinions, we are on here as fellow providers to seek and give support in a positive manner.

Comment

Originally posted by melskids View Post
                agreed....and would like to add....

although we all have different opinions, we are on here as fellow providers to seek and give support in a positive manner.

Based on a lot of post throughout this forum lately, some have really big egos. If you don't agree with what someone says, there are nice ways to wirte it.

Comment

My own daughter started climbing out of her crib at 7 months (YES 7 MONTHS)!!!!! She didn't start walking until 8.5 months, but was climbing on everything at about 6.5/7 months, it was absolutely INSANE!!! She is also small for her age, so alot of people got alot of laughs, seeing this what looked like 6 month old child walking around! LOL Anyway, I was in a complete loss of what to do with her!! She is 3 now and she is just as busy as ever!! I remember telling my husband that I need to quit daycare just to watch her and keep her safe!! She is a busy, busy bee!!! I am not sure if she has calmed down, gotten better at climbing or if I am just use to her antics! LOL Anyway I started putting her in a toddler bed, I had too! It was very interesting and I spent the entire nap time for several days putting her back in her bed, but it finally worked and she learned that when it was time to sleep she needed to stay in her bed!! Just be consistent with him and it should pay off, just stinks because it is going to interrupt everything for about a week or so!! Well I hope this helps and good luck!! I would also talk to his parents and see if they are willing to make the transition at home at the same time as well!!! Plus make sure no matter where you sit him make sure he is BUCKLED!! : P

Comment

For the most part, I agree with this. I don't use them either. PnP's I use until they are able to pull themselves up, then they go away and the child learns to sleep on a npamat. I use a highchair for feeding only....as soon as mealtime is over, it goes in the garage, and once the child can sit in a child-sized chair, they go away. Two reasons....1.) they are not necessary, there are many ways to keep a child occupied without having to restrain them. and 2.) I cannot stand them taking up space in my home.

I would say though, that you clearly have a different philosophy than many on here (careful about that )....do you practice the Reggio Emilai Approach? If you do, I'd love to talk with you further, as I do appreciate the Reggio approach and apply the philosophy in many aspects of my program.

Comment

Originally posted by mac60 View Post
                      Based on a lot of post throughout this forum lately, some have really big egos. If you don't agree with what someone says, there are nice ways to wirte it.
                      Just curious, why would someone having a differing philosophy of care indicate that they have a "big ego" We all have different ways of practicing care. Just as you have your own approach....would you sharing your opinion indicate that you have a "big ego"?

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                        Just curious, why would someone having a differing philosophy of care indicate that they have a "big ego" We all have different ways of practicing care. Just as you have your own approach....would you sharing your opinion indicate that you have a "big ego"?
                        I believe she explained that in her post...there are nicer ways to write it...

All this "I am appalled" crap and "baby trap" comments aren't being presented as a different philosophy, but as a "better" one. These comments are rude.

How about simply, "I don't believe in using a high chair as a safety device." No need to appalled.

Comment

How fortunate for others to be able to use highchairs and pack n plays as safety equipment but for others like myself that isn't even an option. State regulations vary from state to state and sometimes even county to county.

In my case (CA) a highchair is only to be used during mealtimes and snacktimes and only when and if a child is eating. If a child isn't eating anymore we have to remove them immediately. This is an automatic citation for us. Same thing goes for pack n plays. Here they can't be used to confine a child that is awake. If the child is not sleeping, the child cannot be in the p'n'p. Bouncers, swings, bouncy chairs, baby chairs (that help a baby sit up on their own on the floor) etc. are not even allowed in daycare centers or homes. I'm pregnant now and my license worker is a little wishy washy about me having a swing even for my own infant that would be kept in the nursery which is not a part of the daycare at all.

Comment

it has nothing to do with a different philosophy, but what is said and how it is said.

Comment

Originally posted by melskids View Post
                              not to start a war.....i'm not for restraining them ALL the time either....but.....

how do you get anything done? how would you change others' diapers if this little one is getting into something he's not supposed to? how are you in the kitchen cooking when little johnny is roaming free and swimming in the toilet bowl? like i said, i don't like to restrain them all the time, and for no reason....but there are times when you HAVE to get stuff done, and keep the little ones SAFE at the SAME time. when i'm in the kitchen, you'd better believe the 2 year old are in high chairs coloring while waiting for lunch. and when the very active school agers come home from school the baby gets put in a p'n'p or a saucer for a little while so the big kids don;t trample him until they all settle down. we get paid to keep them SAFE.

JMHO
                              Very well said. What we hope to have things be like, and what happens in real life aren't always the same--safety is the top priority!

Comment

Working...
                              X