X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Explain How Many DCK's I Have To Parents

Ok here goes, hopefully y'all can keep up ::

These are my regular DCK'S:

1, DCB & DCG (Siblings) are here 2 days a week. Depending on the day, they both attend school.

2, DCB & DCG (Siblings) are here 2-3 days a week. On tues DCB attends school.

3, DCG is here 3 days a week.

4, DCB is here 2-3 days a week.

These are my Drop in DCK'S:

1, DCB & DCB (siblings) are here 3-4 times a month.

2, DCG is here 3-5 times a month.

3, DCB is here 4-6 times a month.

Plus I have 2 of my own kids that attend school.

Now I have to explain that all of these kids come on different days. I am allowed to have 6 kids, not including my own under my care.

So some days i find that i am at my limit for the day and somedays i have one child.

I have no choice on taking in more kids for drop in. I would have to close if i didnt.

If a parent ask's why there are kids they have never seen before here, do I owe them an explanation?

I should also add that in the 1.5 yrs that i have lived in this town, I have never had an inquiry about full time child care. If I held out for full time kids, i would be closed.

That is some puzzle to work with. I charge a weekly minimum for up to 3 set days. It's equal to 3.5 days of care ratewise. I tell parents that PT kids pay more per day b/c I have to juggle them and it means more parents, kids, germs, paperwork and differences to deal with. If I kid comes 3 days per week I cannot just magically find another kid to fill in the other 2. They might overlap and that doesn't always work b/c of the numbers I need to stay under. When I explain it to them that way, they have a better chance of seeing the big picture. I did drop in my first year and it was hard on me, the kids and my normal daycare kids. Now I only do drop in for my normal kids, who are all PT, if they need to come on a day they aren't normally here and I can stay under my numbers.

Comment

I have done part-time/drop in (on purpose!) for the last 9months or so...and My go to answer is "I keep within my licensing ratios at all times. My long term kids, that I have had since they were babies, are 2, 4, & 5yo....I only have the 2&5yo three days a week, the 4yo is two days a week. I have a few drop-in/emergency backup/snow day type of clients."

Comment

Ok, I'm assuming Drop-in is a norm for you. I tell parents my numbers are all within ratio. I have a TOTAL of X amount of kids and no more than XY on any given day. If they have more questions I try to explain ratios/ages/and variances.

Comment

I don't have drop in, but I do have permanent part-time (set days) and school age. I have 16 kids on my roster, but it is rare that the maximum # of 14 is here all together. Even in the summer I usually only have a max of 10 on any given day.

For me, there is enough overlap of part time/full time, that they see each other at least once a week.

If someone does ask, my standard line is (with a smile): The faces may change, but the licensing ratios are the same.

Comment

Well most of my DCP dont care but are just curious.

But I do have 1 DCM that looks at me and the wheels start grinding and I know what she is thinking.

All of my Drop in parents also know to call me 2 days before, as I may not have room, and they are fine with that.

I prefer to have more than 1 child here, it just makes the days so much better.

Comment

I too have a roster of drop-in and parttimers. Most parents just mind their own business. Since I don't think you owe them an explanation unless they directly ask you whether you're over capacity, I only provide the child's first name and age if they ask in a statement that goes something like this...

Parent: I've never seen that kid before (direct quote. Ha!)
              Me: That's Tommy. He's 3. We're so excited to have him today.

That's it. They don't need to know how you run your business, or how long someone is there or why or what or how much. Just keep it simple. Don't over explain or infer they are a drop-in child.

Comment

Tell them how many different families that you have and that you provide care for many of the children who come on a part time on/call basis providing space is available at the time it is needed and that is why at times there is an unfamiliar face.

Comment

I would tell them that you have 13 families but are limited to 10 children at any given time. Schedules and availability will determine the actual attending number at any given moment. But that you will never be over your limit.

Comment

In MN, the licensing regulations require us to state what class license we have and how many children we are allowed to care for as well as how many we have enrolled at the current time in our handbooks or written policies. But nothing personal or identifying.

Comment

I have a sign in sheet at the door with each child's first name only on it so my parents can see who is in/out at what time. I have had one dcm ask me specifically about a dcb who was hit and miss because she thought he was such a cutie and he'd peek around the corner behind the gate and smile at her at drop-off/pick-ups .

Other than that, it's really none of their business unless you are warehousing children and they become suspicious. Then it is definitely their business!

Comment

I have the same thing. Everyday is different. i do have full timers but the rest are part timers and drop ins. So its hard to explain to families too. I hate when people ask, "how many kids do you have"

Comment

When parents ask usually at the first interview how many children do yo u have. I explain how many I am lic. for and I give them the sex and grade and

days of my regular kids" then and and I have a few children that come on an as needed bases if I have room.

Comment

Then when it comes up who is this at drop off or pick up I say this is giving first name only. So far nobody has asked for mor information.

Op--do you have sign in/out sheet, if not you might whant to start using one if someone was to "complain" that would be your proof that your where never over your limit.

Comment

Originally posted by laundrymom View Post
                              I would tell them that you have 13 families but are limited to 10 children at any given time. Schedules and availability will determine the actual attending number at any given moment. But that you will never be over your limit.
                              I agree with laundrymom.

Comment

Working...
                              X