Bringing Items In The Morning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing Items In The Morning?

Hi! I am a little annoyed. I have in my contract that when children arrive @ my home they can not bring anything inside. No toys, cups, food, books, etc. They can only bring a blanket or lovey for nap time which is usually kept here anyway.

For the past 2 mornings, 2 yo dcb has been bringing in juice. I told dcm, please don't bring juice, then they all want juice and we will be eating breakfast in 20 minutes so there is no need. She wasn't happy but agreed.

Next morning, he brings a page of a board book (not an actual book but just a page he ripped out) and all the other dck want to look. He does not want to share, pulls a fit, etc.

I tell dcm to bring him empty handed as to not cause confusion.
    She says to me "Christie, how am I going to get him out of the car. He will not get out of my car without a toy/book. It was hard enough to take away his juice."

Are you kidding me ?!?!?! He is 2!:confused:

Put a trash can by the front door. Anything that comes in gets thrown in the trash immediately

Comment

LOL!!! She wants you to do the work.

Do you meet them at the door. I'd meet them at the door and make sure he's got empty hands before letting him in.

Comment

That frustrates me too. I have a little boy (4) who always brings in food/toys whatever. I take it and goes straight to his cubby and sometimes trash depending on what it is. Well mom got a dose of it this morning when he spilled a huge bottle of chocolate milk (at least 24 oz or so). It was a tall one. I'm just thinking "that's what ya get for not following the rules" . Nice, brand new SUV too. It's the same here though, the child pitches a fit if they aren't allowed to bring it in and parents want us to be the bad guys.

Comment

I take it from them and hand it back to mom to take home...when kid pitches a fit I deal with it. I have a lot of experience with a jellyfish backboned mom so this is what works for me. I have a DCG that comes with princess bracelets and necklaces every.single.day and every day I take them off and either had them back to mom or stuff them in her bag. The DCG used to cry but now she knows that it just doesn't work with me so says nothing!! I also explain quite simply "If you don't want to share, it either goes back home or back in your bag...what's your choice?" Sometimes the kid chooses to put it in the bag or give it to mom. If they can't choose I choose for them.

Comment

Yes, I meet them at the door. My entryway is very small so they kinda have to come inside the house.

Do you just tell the dcm, "hey go put that back in your car"

Comment

Originally posted by MissChristie View Post
              Yes, I meet them at the door. My entryway is very small so they kinda have to come inside the house.

Do you just tell the dcm, "hey go put that back in your car"
              Yep! I just say "oh sorry mom you know thw rules no toys at daycare...here ya go" with a big smile on my face. OR I do the whole choice thing with the kid, depending on what it is. If they can't share it goes in their bag.

Comment

I'd say, "Johnny, give that to your mom before you come in please." A 2yo can follow simple instructions.

Then if he doesn't I'd says, "Ok, we've got a busy morning here! Sally, can you take that *whatever* and we'll get going with our day."

Not accusatory, but definitely straight-forward. Fact of the matter is mom knows it isn't allowed and clearly wants you to do the work, so put it on her. Tell her what you need straight-up.

Comment

I will never understand why parents these days are SO reluctant to tell their children NO. Such a simple word...

Comment

Originally posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post
                    I will never understand why parents these days are SO reluctant to tell their children NO.
                    They don't want them to cry.
                    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by AnneCordelia View Post
                      I'd say, "Johnny, give that to your mom before you come in please." A 2yo can follow simple instructions.

Then if he doesn't I'd says, "Ok, we've got a busy morning here! Sally, can you take that *whatever* and we'll get going with our day."

Not accusatory, but definitely straight-forward. Fact of the matter is mom knows it isn't allowed and clearly wants you to do the work, so put it on her. Tell her what you need straight-up.
                      Yep, I make them GIVE it back to the parent, as well. I'm not letting the parent off the hook by dealing with it alone. If they'd rather walk away while their child is fussing in the house, vs. in the car, so be it. But either way, they are going to deal with it, too!

Comment

I agree. I would say please give that to your mom. Sorry mom but you know the rules. We have to all follow them. And if he won't give it to her I would take it from him and hand it to her and say something like here ya go mom. With a smile of course as I am gritting my teeth

Comment

I don't have a problem with kids bringing things inside, whether it be food or toy.

They sit at the table and finish the food. I toss what they don't eat. I do ask that if it's a special treat like a donut, that they bring in enough for everyone.

If they come in with a toy, they know that they have to share or put it in their cubby.

I like when they bring books, it gives us a chance to read one that we may not have.

I don't really remember it ever being an issue.

Comment

My niece comes over and leaves whatever she came in with and tries to sneak out the door with a toy that belongs to my kids! LOL its funny cause im not sure if she realizes shes a little thief or honestly thinks its a pawn shop here
                            "God said, ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart. He will do everything I want him to do.'"
                            Acts 13:22

Comment

Originally posted by sharlan View Post
                              I don't have a problem with kids bringing things inside, whether it be food or toy.

They sit at the table and finish the food. I toss what they don't eat. I do ask that if it's a special treat like a donut, that they bring in enough for everyone.

If they come in with a toy, they know that they have to share or put it in their cubby.

I like when they bring books, it gives us a chance to read one that we may not have.

I don't really remember it ever being an issue.
                              I don't mind them bringing in food as long as its not a treat that everyone will want. Anytime a toy comes in its trouble waiting to happen. Learned that lesson many times.

Comment

Working...
                              X