Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Important Lessons You've Learned Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Important Lessons You've Learned Here?

Obviously I'm new here and, like most newbies, I've been learning a ton. And laughing a ton! You guys are great.

I was thinking of just how valuable this resource is, and wanted to share my top 3 most important things I've learned so far. These are the things that I really, truly, honestly believe are going to help me become the best dcp EVER!

1. Make the dcf's PREPAY for everything! (the obvious benefit here is that it will help establish a good relationship and hopefully protect my reputation in case deadbeats want to try to ruin it! )

2. Protect my family and my dck's at all costs (see my thread about DCM bringing a felon to my home ugh) https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35836

3. Don't underestimate my worth -- price myself according to what I KNOW I deserve, regardless of what ABC Daycare down the street charges. (this one is SO HARD! I don't know why, but it is!)

Of course there are a dozen more lessons I've learned and more I hope to learn. Again, you guys are awesome so THANK YOU!

So does anyone else have things they've learned here that they are ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY sure have made them a better dcp?? I'd sure love to hear your "top threes".
    Last edited by Michael; 10-20-2011, 04:50 PM.

I have learned

1) Pre-payment is the ONLY way to go.
    2) Daycare is a very "broad" occupation.
    3) Some people have no sense of humor/others are why I stick around.

Comment

*Always have them pre-pay
      *ALWAYS have a thorough contract, always go over the contract with them (don't just give it to them to read and sign)
      *Your parents are not your bosses and you are not their employee. You provide them a valuable service.
      *Develop your backbone!

Most importantly, I've learned that no matter what happens, I'm not alone. Someone here has experienced what I'm going through, someone will have advice, and I have a great place to vent.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        I have learned

1) Pre-payment is the ONLY way to go.
        2) Daycare is a very "broad" occupation.
        3) Some people have no sense of humor/others are why I stick around.
        That #3 one made me . I guess I've got a twisted sense of humor?

*snickers*

::

Comment

Originally posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post
          Most importantly, I've learned that no matter what happens, I'm not alone. Someone here has experienced what I'm going through, someone will have advice, and I have a great place to vent.
          OK, that's my new #1! You are so right and I hope Michael is an immortal or at least outlives me and this career so this place stays functioning!

Comment

1# ENFORCE ALL rules from day 1, never leave room for negotiation, there may be no turning back

2# leave my emotions out of it, this is a business and I need to conduct it that way

3# NOT all DCP are created equal, treat them this way. Those that have burned you get no favors or trust and those that give back are the ones you go the extra mile for when needed…..

#4 there’s only so much we can do. While our heart is always in the right place, there really is not too much that we can do for these kids but give them a safe, loving, healthy environment each and every day they are with us. No matter how many times you tell mommy that Johnny is behind, they don’t want to hear it….

5# don’t give you a headache you can’t save them all and know when it’s time to let go!!

6# NO special discounts, no sibling discounts, OK NO DISCOUNTS…..

7# ok I learned this the hard way, but someone on here said it this way, DON’T cra@ where you eat!

8# you cant make every person happy and when you don't, don't beat yourself up over it!

I can keep going, I have learned a lot……

Comment

I am never alone
              Don't take anything too seriously
              There are many " right " ways.

Comment

1) Daycare is a business relationship not a friendship.
                2) Dont take it personal
                3) Do whats best for you and your family first ALWAYS.

Comment

In addition to what others have said I would say

Never negotiate my rates instead just reply that is the rate for the services you are requeasting.

Comment

1. Go with your gut. If there are red flags, they are there for a reason.

2. Don't be afraid to say no. You put rules in your policy for a reason. Stick with them.

3. You can't be everything to everybody. Do what you're comfortable doing or else you will burn out quickly.

4. Baby wipes are your friend!

Comment

The biggest thing I've learned from this forum is that I have a fantastic group of clients and kids. I read about the issues others have with disrespectful, rude and poorly behaved children and parents and I realize how fortunate I am to have clients who appreciate me, value the service I provide and respect me, my home and my business.

If I get frustrated with something business related, I come here and read for awhile. It helps put my situation into perspective and I'm able to find a good solution.
                      Doing what I love and loving what I do.

Comment

Some of the best advice I've gotten from this forum come from two members who are (from what I perceive) polar opposites.

I've been able to change my whole outlook on this profession, how I deal with the children & parents, grow a backbone, build a better business, and my program as a whole. All for the better.

So, the two greatest things I've gotten from this forum are...

*To see the value in everyone's post, even when I don't agree.

*To take the info I want/need, and respectfully leave the rest.

Thank You ladies, and Michael, for always being here.

Comment

#1) NEVER work with a family member or friend (in this business, it is nothing but hard times, and if you are working with family/friends, no special treatment). And by work with I mean either allow them to enroll, OR, hire them as help.

#2) If you need help, don't be afraid to ask

#3) Get that backbone. These ladies here helped me get my backbone, although I haven't really needed it, it sure helps with the confidence and you know what??? Since I got my backbone, it's much easier to get clients. When they give you a chance for an interview I mean.

I'm adding a fourth....

#4) Remember your interview is not them screening you so much as it's you screening them. NEVER EVER just agree to let them come over and meet you and sign up (unless you really love them). Let them know you will have a decision by the end of the week.

Comment

Once you think you have it all down....they change the rules.

Be adaptable and never stop learning.
                            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
                              Once you think you have it all down....they change the rules.

Be adaptable and never stop learning.
                              this is true. Catherder's always right

I don't mind helping people out, but the moment they disrespect me in anyway, including making me get out of bed when i could've slept in, they lose my respect for them, and I won't help them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X