This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website - How To & Why

Ok, I've decided to go with a website, but as I've said in other posts, I really don't know what to do.

Please post what you've found to be the best way to do it.

What do you find important to put in your website, what do you feel is best left out? Do you have a section for daily updates on what the kids are doing?

Do you put in lots of pics of your daycare area - inside and out?

Do you go to other websites and steal their ideas (JUST KIDDING)?

Do you buy the domain name (is that the right thing) from Google for $10 a year?

Details, details, details..............
    Last edited by Michael; 10-05-2011, 10:56 PM.

Thanks for starting this thread. I will most likely make it a sticky since much of the information will be of value to all those looking to advertise and succeed in the virtual marketplace. Note: just found out Steve Jobs died. Sad day. He helped create much of the viruald world as we know it.
    Last edited by Michael; 10-05-2011, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I viewed lots and lots of childcare websites, both home and centers. I decided what I wanted from my program and ran with it. What do you offer, where, why, how, when. You know the basics.

I know I asked you to view my website and I have no issues of you using any of my text that you want, if you want....

I think once you get an idea of what your selling point is and who you want to target, you will become full of ideas...

Comment

If ads running down the side of your page and you don't care if you Have to add a site name after - I would use a free website application like webs.com
          It is so simple to use! I can PM you my address.
          However, no that I am with google apps I really like having my own personal domain name, IMO it seems more professional...putting more in, to get more out type of idea--- when my site is done I will PM you that also.

I would put a blurb about YOU and what makes you different from other HDC
          Maybe your history, how long you have been in business, education background, what you like best about HDC, what you will provide

I would put a rate/fee section
          Hours of operation
          A example of your programming (if you have)
          Your daily routine
          Pictures of your space ( remember no kids unless you have authorization)
          FAQ section
          The thing I like about Webs.com is they have a section for ppl to email you right from the site ( I got a lot of inquiries and clients that way)
          Good luck

Comment

Sharlan PM's me with questions about websites and advertising. I asked to to start a thread and if it takes off I will make it sticky.

Just a little insight into what I do. I started creating websites in 1995 with such brands as Daycare.com, Nashville.com, PalmSprings.com, Manicure.com and many others. I have a lot of experience in making money in the virtual world and some sites have generated over a $1mil a year in profits. You can read about some of my work here: http://dnjournal.com/cover/2006/december.htm

sharlan: What do you find important to put in your website, what do you feel is best left out? Do you have a section for daily updates on what the kids are doing?

Other providers would have some good ideas. I would suggest you engage your potential clients in a way that gives them a virtual feel of your facility. It is important that you "lead" your visitors to the information that is most important be it "potential clients" or "current clients". Information is great but you must offer it is simple ways.

sharlan: Do you put in lots of pics of your daycare area - inside and out?

I would suggest you use pictures of in and out but not too many since large pictures or information slows down the viewing process. There are ways to reduce file size in pictures and I will cover that in future posts.

sharlan: Do you go to other websites and steal their ideas (JUST KIDDING)?

Always look at other sites for ideas. Here is on that signed up today on Daycare.com. www.OrganicKidcare.com

https://www.daycare.com/php/showlisting.php?ID=00179911&p=1

There is a lot they are doing correctly on this site. The fact that they have a great website and also advertise on Daycare.com is multifaceted. The fact Daycare.com is listed #1 on Google, Bing and Yahoo for the term "daycare" helps get their website into the higher rankings or searches. This is a secret many advertisers use to gain higher status in search results.

sharlan: Do you buy the domain name (is that the right thing) from Google for $10 a year?

There are many registrars that you can get your name from. It is not like the old days when Network Solutions was the only one you could get a domain from. They use to charge $50 a year! These days you can get them as low as $8. Choose from a registrar that offers others services you may need like getting your email address with your domain name michael@daycare.com or URL forwarding which allows you to "point" an address at your name.

Example: If I get a free website from weebly.com and buy my domain name from goDaddy.com for $8. I can point my Weebly site to my new domain name. That way you see my site at MyChildcare.com and not mychildcare.weebly.com
            Remember Weebly.com owns mychildcare.weebly.com but you own MyChildcare.com. You can advertise MyChildcare.com knowing you will always own the name (as long as you pay the reg fee every year).

There is a lot more I can write about and if there are any questions feel free to ask them. I would like this thread to be referenced by anyone looking for website information for any business field.
            Last edited by Michael; 09-09-2019, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by godiva83 View Post
              If ads running down the side of your page and you don't care if you Have to add a site name after - I would use a free website application like webs.com
              It is so simple to use! I can PM you my address.
              However, no that I am with google apps I really like having my own personal domain name, IMO it seems more professional...putting more in, to get more out type of idea--- when my site is done I will PM you that also.

I would put a blurb about YOU and what makes you different from other HDC
              Maybe your history, how long you have been in business, education background, what you like best about HDC, what you will provide

I would put a rate/fee section
              Hours of operation
              A example of your programming (if you have)
              Your daily routine
              Pictures of your space ( remember no kids unless you have authorization)
              FAQ section
              The thing I like about Webs.com is they have a section for ppl to email you right from the site ( I got a lot of inquiries and clients that way)
              Good luck
              Also www.wix.com and www.weebly.com offer free websites.

Comment

Here is my website....

Feel free to use any of these ideas that you want. Pictures of the children are kept private and so is my contract. It is just a standard contract.
                I am really pleased with webs.com it was the easiest thing I ever did.

Comment

I'm having a pretty good experience using godaddy.com. I'm still setting up my website but their program is pretty easy to use and I got a .com url for less than $3 a year. The website is $5.99 a month but I think it's worth it (and it's less if you sign up for a longer period - I only did 3 months). I tried to use webs.com and I didn't care for their site templates. There's very few options to customize. I'll post my site once its done.

Comment

Originally posted by thinkinboutstarting View Post
                    I'm having a pretty good experience using godaddy.com. I'm still setting up my website but their program is pretty easy to use and I got a .com url for less than $3 a year. The website is $5.99 a month but I think it's worth it (and it's less if you sign up for a longer period - I only did 3 months). I tried to use webs.com and I didn't care for their site templates. There's very few options to customize. I'll post my site once its done.
                    From what I've seen it looks like www.weebly.com has the best templates. If anyone has any other free websites offers, let me know.

Also, WordPress is a great program that is free but some computer knowledge is needed to set it up. They also have wonderful widgets allows you to use for free like a translator (you can see it on the Nashville music blog). We use wordpress for these blogs/sections and there are thousands of themes to choose from. This is the more advanced avenue of websites that I can speak more of in the future if interested.

www.Adopt.com/blog
                    www.Daycare.com/nannyde/
                    www.Nashville.com
                    www.PalmSprings.com
                    Last edited by Michael; 09-09-2019, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Website security questions

I am currently working on building my own daycare website, and so far it's going really well, and I'm having fun with it! BUt, now I have a few questions regarding personal security and how much information I should include on the website. It is a delicate balance between effectively marketing your business and keeping personal information private. For example, I am not going to give my address, but is it okay to list your town (I live in a very small one)? And, is it safe to include a photo of the outside of your daycare home? What about your last name? I would like to have one page, password protected, where I can post mainly photos for the families currently enrolled to see their children participating in activities or fieldtrips we have taken. I am thinking of using the free service "PoppyDog" to password protect that page of my site...is anyone familiar with this...if so, your thoughts? Thanks so much for any help! This forum has already been VERY helpful to me in creating my own website!

Comment

Your state childcare licensing agency most likely already has your information public since it is public record. I suggest you post your general location or cross street and not your address.

I understand you wanting to keep your children as safe as possible while also acquiring potential clients. In reality if someone wanted to find a victim child they would not go through the trouble of searching out daycare facilities IMHO. It is the vulnerable child that is walking home alone that is most at risk.

When I was four years old, I was across the street from my home when a man drove up and opening the side door of his car asking if I wanted candy. The fact that my mother had just told me to never talk to strangers is what saved me. Prevention and a secure environment is what are most effective. Being aware of your environment and making your children aware of potential hazards is what is needed. I know we want our kids to live a blissful life but the world can be a dangerous place at times.
                        Last edited by Michael; 10-12-2011, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          Your state childcare licensing agency most likely already has your information public since it is public record. I suggest you post your general location or cross street and not your address.

I understand you wanting to keep your children as safe as possible while also acquiring potential clients. In reality if someone wanted to find a victim child they would not go through the trouble of searching out daycare facilities IMHO. It is the vulnerable child that is walking home alone that is most at risk.

When I was four years old, I was across the street from my home when a man drove up and opening the side door of his car asking if I wanted candy. The fact that my mother had just told me to never talk to strangers is what saved me. Prevention and a secure environment is what are most effective. Being aware of your environment and making your children aware of potential hazards is what is needed. I know we want our kids to live a blissful life but the world can be a dangerous place at times.
                          OT - I had a friend,as a child, who was taken out of her stroller at her Mom's side while Christmas shopping.

Comment

These are great tips and really helpful. However, following are a few more tips to build a website -

1. Buy a domain and a hosting plan. Prefer to buy both from a single vendor and try and get a deal.
                            2. If you have low budget and are not comfortable with developing website on own then either -
                            • go for some free CMS platforms like wordpress, joomla or
                            • hire a web develop
                              er

3.Write content for the website till the website is ready (website template to be specific)
                            4. Add content and review the website carefully to ensure that it meets your expectations
                            5. Get feedback from your friends on the website and let them try it to see if its useful. Take their feedback seriously
                            6. Promote your website on facebook, twitter etc to get more and more people visit you

Comment

I don't have a website but I do have a page on facebook. I include pictures of crafts the children have done, list books I have read to the children, share recipes I have used in program. I also share learning websites I find helpful, daycare issues going on that I find important. It is still a small page and only a handful of people have liked it but its a start.

Comment

Working...
                              X