Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question For In-Home Providers- Advice Needed

Hi All,

I am hoping to tap into your wisdom. My son is cared for by a stay at home mother who watches her own children plus a couple more (4 kids total) 3 days a week. We've loved taking him there, he is only 10 months, and I was really looking for a home atmosphere for him in his baby days. Recently her husband has been at home, I think maybe he has switched jobs so that he works from home, which is fine. He's always seemed really nice, I have no concerns with him. Today when I came to pick up my son the husband was playing a first person shooter video game in the living room where my son was playing. I felt pretty upset at the time because it was loud and violent and nothing that I would want my son exposed to but I didn't really know what to do so I didn't say anything. I don't want to cause friction, we looked so long for someone and we love the woman who cares for him and her kids. I feel strange asking for those games not to be played while my son is there since it is their home, but is it unreasonable for me to request my son be taken to a different part of the house? Should I discuss in person or send an email? I am afraid in person might seem more confrontational? I don't know. Suggestions and advice much appreciated.

If you are uncomfortable with it you should speak up asap. Since your provider is not licensed or trained, only you can advocate for appropriate care.

In a licensed, inspected, trained, monitored home daycare this would be against regulations for the reasons you gave. It would be easily enforced as well.
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
      If you are uncomfortable with it you should speak up asap. Since your provider is not licensed or trained, only you can advocate for appropriate care.

In a licensed, inspected, trained, monitored home daycare this would be against regulations for the reasons you gave. It would be easily enforced as well.
      Really even without regulations it should be against common sense laws.

I would definitely talk with your provider OP. I don't let my 10 year old watch her dad or stepdad play those games and I would be livid if my baby was exposed.

Comment

Originally posted by Meyou View Post

I was thinking it, but you SAID it.

I was attempting being gentle, guess it is a color that does not suit... ::::::
        - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

I would definitely talk with your provider OP. I don't let my 10 year old watch her dad or stepdad play those games and I would be livid if my baby was exposed.
          I agree. I would be deeply upset by that being around my infant or even child.

Comment

This. When my DH is home during dc hours he goes down the our basement family room (which is not an approved dc space) to watch tv and unwind.

I would speak up, but I would also be prepared to move your child out should your babysitter not see the issue.

Comment

I agree with all the above but also wondering where the wife is and the other children in her care? Were they all nearby too? If she sees nothing wrong with exposing young children to violent video games, maybe you're not as closely matched as you'd like? Just sayin'.... even though I probably didn't say it very nicely. I would definitely bring it up to her and see what she says.

Comment

I agree with everyone above!

Playing violent video games or any video games in front of children is inappropriate. That being said, my husband has odd work hours. When I'm working he wants to relax and enjoy his time off. When he wants to play video games in the living room, ALL the children and I go into our daycare playroom. Which is on the lower level and they can not see or hear it.

If I was in your position I would be upset too! Talk to your caregiver! Good luck!

Comment

Say it

If it is a good provider they will try and understand. This will let you see if this is the kind of place you need to be at

Comment

At my house the gaming systems are in our bedroom and my daughters. I don't want the nose and disruption of those games out in the daycare area. I would say something to her.

Comment

Working...
                    X