Day Care Not Refunding Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day Care Not Refunding Money

My daughter has been in a day care facility for past one year. She suffered from ear infections 3 times in last 4 months. Her Pediatrician has recommended hear to be taken out of day care for atleast 6 months so that she dosen't contract ear infection again if not she has to go through surgery. Since the decision to pull my daughter out of day care was out of healthy concern we submitted Doctors letter/note to day care facility requesting that we would like to take our daughter out of day care and to return our refund. Day care completely reject our requested and has informed us that 1 months notice has to be given no matter what. Is this even legal that even after submitting doctors letter day care dosen't return the deposit

Yes, it's legal if that's what it says in the contract that you signed. What does your contract say about notice of termination and about refunds?

Comment

refund

yes contract says i have to give one month notice. But now that i have to give them one month notice, i am ready to send my daughter to the day care for one more month but if she contracts ear infection again will the day care take the responsibility for it.

Comment

I don't think the daycare can take responsibility for your child contracting a virus. That can happen anywhere, even at the grocery store.

I feel for you that you have to go through this. But you signed a contract and by law you have to abide by what you signed. If the daycare needs a month notice, that's what you'll have to give. If you decide to send your child to daycare even against your doctors advice then you assume the risk of her getting sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          yes contract says i have to give one month notice. But now that i have to give them one month notice, i am ready to send my daughter to the day care for one more month but if she contracts ear infection again will the day care take the responsibility for it.
          You signed a contract agreeing to give one months notice if you are wanting to leave.

Just because your doctor suggested it, has NOTHING to do with the daycare.

Thinking that the daycare should be responsible for your daughter contracting an ear infection is silly. That isn't something they can control or guarantee won't happen.

You agreed to give a month's notice when you signed the contract so now you either pay for that month or you forfeit the money.

What you choose to do though is up to you.

Comment

hahaha....just when you think you've heard em' all

Your child cannot get an ear infection from child care. Ear infections are not contagious. Your child is simply prone to ear infections. I recommend going forward with the surgery (tubes) which is outpatient and VERY simple and has practically no recovery time and will prevent future ear infections. Keep her IN daycare.....it's the best way for her to build up immunities so when she goes to kindergarten she will be less likely to get ill and will miss less school.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post

Your child cannot get an ear infection from child care. Ear infections are not contagious. Your child is simply prone to ear infections. I recommend going forward with the surgery (tubes) which is outpatient and VERY simple and has practically no recovery time and will prevent future ear infections. Keep her IN daycare.....it's the best way for her to build up immunities so when she goes to kindergarten she will be less likely to get ill and will miss less school.
              AMEN and

My daughter went through three sets of tubes and eventually a tonsillectomy and had never been to daycare the first time.

If your doctor thinks daycare causes ear infections, I'd be finding another doctor. That is the craziest thing I've ever heard. And that's coming from someone who has been an RN since 1997 and a Childcare provider.

You don't CATCH ear infections from daycare.

I agree with crystal, if your child is prone to them, get the tubes. They are a life saver.

I'd fire that doctor in a heartbeat, apologize to the provider, and keep on taking my kid to daycare.

What happens when they get sick in school, are you going to hold them responsible??

Kids get sick at Walmart, and guess what...AT THE DOCTORS OFFICE. I'd rather my kids go to daycare than sit in a doctors office with all those contagious germs.

Comment

I was wondering if I had missed some earth shattering news about ear infections. Apparently not.

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking^

Get the tubes. My son has had three sets and his tonsils removed and they do help. I would also find a new doctor if they really said that she is catching ear infections from daycare :confused:

Comment

The Doctor may be willing to pay your month notice. Have you asked him?
                    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                      The Doctor may be willing to pay your month notice. Have you asked him?
                      This made me laugh :: Daycare cannot cause ear infections, it is something that is an internal problem, not a contagious disease. If a doctor truly did tell you this, did you think to get a second opinion?

Comment

The only connection I see is that the child may be getting frequent colds from daycare, and if they are left untreated they can drain into the ear canal and cause ear infections.

It isn't as if the doctor is going to check up on you to make sure you have left. Dr.'s orders are more like Dr.'s suggestion. Leave after the month's notice.

Comment

Originally posted by blandino View Post
                          The only connection I see is that the child may be getting frequent colds from daycare, and if they are left untreated they can drain into the ear canal and cause ear infections.

It isn't as if the doctor is going to check up on you to make sure you have left. Dr.'s orders are more like Dr.'s suggestion. Leave after the month's notice.
                          And how might one go about treating a cold so it does not lead to ear infection in a child?

I was going to leave this alone, but seriously people. As providers, we know ear infections happen at a higher rate when kids are exposed to germs in daycare. The doctor likely suggested this to the parents, and told them they might have fewer instances if the child was removed. I don't disagree with the idea that this helps build a child's immunity. However, to laugh and degrade this person for having these concerns is a bit much.

And for the record, tubes are not the end of everything. There is cost, surgery, maintenance, and possible loss of the tubes. They also do not help all children and can cause scar tissue on the eardrums.

The real issue is how the parents need to handle the daycare center's policy and contract. I don't disagree that they signed it, and need to follow it. But the disrespect is a bit ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelsj View Post
                            And how might one go about treating a cold so it does not lead to ear infection in a child?

I was going to leave this alone, but seriously people. As providers, we know ear infections happen at a higher rate when kids are exposed to germs in daycare. The doctor likely suggested this to the parents, and told them they might have fewer instances if the child was removed. I don't disagree with the idea that this helps build a child's immunity. However, to laugh and degrade this person for having these concerns is a bit much.

And for the record, tubes are not the end of everything. There is cost, surgery, maintenance, and possible loss of the tubes. They also do not help all children and can cause scar tissue on the eardrums.

The real issue is how the parents need to handle the daycare center's policy and contract. I don't disagree that they signed it, and need to follow it. But the disrespect is a bit ridiculous.
                            I was thinking the same thing when I posted. I figured the doctor recommended removing the child from care to lessen the exposure to the viruses/illnesses that usually preclude ear infections.

I also agree that tubes help in some (maybe most) cases but I certainly wouldn't just run have them put in simply because it could be viewed as a "cure all". I would be very hesitant of ANY medical procedure that required my child to be anesthetized, especially a really young child.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelsj View Post

One thing to add: MANY providers still think it is OK to lay a child down and prop a bottle (even though licensing tells them they can NOT do this). This can cause ear infections, as well. That said, if you signed a contract agreeing to 1 month's notice, then you should have either provided it, been prepared to lose it, or tried to negotiate a settlement before walking away. You owe the entire fee if you signed on for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X