No announcement yet.

Three And Half And They Don't Read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't say NO kids...but it is rather unusual.
    My crew... oldest was 5, next was 4.5, next was reading ON HIS OWN at 2.5, next was 5, then my oldest daughter at just over 3, next one was nearly 6, and the next was almost 8, and the youngest was 7.

Not impossible at all, as two of mine were reading before 3.5, but on average that would not be considered at all delayed, and some kids are not ready until closer to 7 or 8. For the record, those two youngest are now 11 and 13 and both read at an eighth grade level or above. They caught up very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
      I'm sorry, but are you really for real? Some (all...?) of your threads are very strange.

3.5 year olds don't read. They are doing GOOD to know shapes/colors/letters. Really. They are. Of course they don't read. Children aren't developmentally ready for that until 5 or older. Let your children be children, please
      Yeah, I don't normally jump on the bandwagon, but when I read the post, my reaction was ????????????????

Comment

Is ok not know how to read at this age. I have 2-3yr olds and one of them did not know the #'s and alphabet until very recently, I asked a Special Ed teacher that visit my house if that was OK, she told me that she does not have to learn all shapes and letters at 3, that it is OK if she does but it is also Ok if she does not, so I stopped stressing about it. Her brother is the same way, my 2 year olds know the colors, letters, numbers and shapes, but him does not know any of this, his special Ed teacher said it was fine for him not to know this.

Comment

I'm sorry, but are you really for real? Some (all...?) of your threads are very strange.

3.5 year olds don't read. They are doing GOOD to know shapes/colors/letters. Really. They are. Of course they don't read. Children aren't developmentally ready for that until 5 or older. Let your children be children, please
          I was tempted to say something like this...I almost didn't respond. I was like, Seriously?? :confused:

Comment

I taught kindergarten for a number of years..... And NO there is no reason to expect three yr. olds to read!

I don't even believe in pushing letter recognition at that age. There are wat too many important things 3's should be working on and reading is not one of them.

Do not worry about this!

Comment

My son is 7 and is reading at a B level in grade 1 and they consider that way behind. I dont.

He struggles so bad with reading because they want him at I level, but wont give him extra help.

Stop pushing kids to do things before their time.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsp'slilpeeps View Post
                My son is 7 and is reading at a B level in grade 1 and they consider that way behind. I dont.

He struggles so bad with reading because they want him at I level, but wont give him extra help.

Stop pushing kids to do things before their time.
                Something I learned long ago. Kids are different. Sometimes they just need more time before it all "clicks." Problem is, if they push too hard they will turn him off reading altogether and it will be really hard to convince him he will enjoy it.

Comment

I don't see something strange in my posts. When I posted this benign question It was just a wish to see my kids advanced and doing great as I am really doing a good job with them. I already see two kids of my neighbor who are 3.5 and they READ.
                  Last edited by Blackcat31; 02-16-2013, 06:53 AM. Reason: fixed quotes marks :-)

Comment

Originally posted by NeedaVaca View Post
                    I keep wondering the same thing! Strange posts, and she kept her kids with a provider that admitted to hitting? It's all a little weird...
                    How did you know that I kept my kids at the provider that hit them? Do you know what happened up to date? I don't think so.

Comment

I don't believe it would be considered developmentally appropriate practice to teach MOST children to read at that age. Some maybe, but not most.

Comment

I worked at a Daycare/Preschool/Pre-K Center for 5 years and as far as I can recall, only 3 children were reading by the end of Pre-K.

My neighbor's children are all reading by 3-4 but she home schools and reading is something that she stresses.

If this is something that you want, then you need to supplement their learning at home.

This is a good quote to consider:

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."

— Emilie Buchwald

Comment

Originally posted by fairymama View Post
                          How did you know that I kept my kids at the provider that hit them? Do you know what happened up to date? I don't think so.
                          In the last post you spoke of this situation you did continue paying her and had a lot of good things to say about the provider...Since we only know what you post and that was the last one you made it "seems" like you were happy with them there or else why would you have paid her to hold your spot for 4 weeks? If you have since left (and I hope you did) then that's great news for your children!

Comment

Originally posted by Angelsj View Post
                            Something I learned long ago. Kids are different. Sometimes they just need more time before it all "clicks." Problem is, if they push too hard they will turn him off reading altogether and it will be really hard to convince him he will enjoy it.

Comment

FairyMama-

I went back and reread some of your other posts, and realized that you mentioned that English is not your first language. Perhaps this is why you are more concerned about your children not reading yet. ??

I'm not sure what your native culture is, but in general, we take a more relaxed approach to this than some other countries. Not relaxed enough, in my opinion. I think we push too much too early here. I know in some other countries it's even earlier.

Every child is different, some potty train before 2, some are a good 3. Some read early, some read later. For me, it's more important that they enjoy reading, and therefore read for the joy of it, or to get information, not because it's something they MUST do.

In any case, don't worry. Let them play, sing songs with them, read TO them, teach them to love books. They will learn to read when they are ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                                FairyMama-

I went back and reread some of your other posts, and realized that you mentioned that English is not your first language. Perhaps this is why you are more concerned about your children not reading yet. ??

I'm not sure what your native culture is, but in general, we take a more relaxed approach to this than some other countries. Not relaxed enough, in my opinion. I think we push too much too early here. I know in some other countries it's even earlier.

Every child is different, some potty train before 2, some are a good 3. Some read early, some read later. For me, it's more important that they enjoy reading, and therefore read for the joy of it, or to get information, not because it's something they MUST do.

In any case, don't worry. Let them play, sing songs with them, read TO them, teach them to love books. They will learn to read when they are ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X