Infant Sleep Standards @ Daycare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The provider needs to hold your baby longer before putting him down. Many if not most 3 month olds want to be held while they fall asleep. That's because they are mammals. Get a child care provider who is able to cuddle your child to sleep. There is no SIDS risk in holding or rocking a tiny infant until they are in deep sleep. If an infant is in deep sleep, you can lay them on a cheap rug over a hardwood floor and they won't wake up until they get back to the light part of the sleep cycle. If I get a baby who isn't sleeping well in my care, I wear that baby around until he's good and limp and then put him down. If your child is in a setting where this is impossible, the infant-adult ratio is insufficient.
    Originally posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse View Post
    I am a mom and a home childcare provider. I am so sorry that your having sleep issues and I know how hard this is! I remember having to leave my daughter at a daycare when she was tiny! (I am on now on the other end having just taken her back to college.. leaving them NEVER gets easy!!)
    Couple of suggestions, since they are a center they may or may not be willing to try these. First of all talk with them. Ask about the order of their day. Are babies kept on the centers schedule or their own. At what point do they try to shift their schedule to the centers. Babies get to sleep on their own schedule at my house until they start forming a pattern. Between 4-6 months they are usually napping once in the morning and then a longer nap in the afternoon. They MUST hold babies to feed them. How is that going for them. Is he eating well? Are they burping him well? Does he have any issues with reflux? (this can cause huge sleep issues) Are they snuggling him? I do lay my babies down awake if at all possible to teach them how to go to sleep. Is the sleeping area darker? Quieter? Music playing? Small babies can sleep through anything but as they get older it gets harder. Discuss what they can do to get a nap in! If they can't help you figure this out you may have to come up with a different plan, a center, no matter how convenient, may not be for you and your baby. I have one little guy that falls asleep in the stroller during morning walk He gets a nice little morning snooze in that way. Some babies I have had to hold a lot more than others! Every baby is different. Is he crying a lot for them? Does he have one main caretaker or many? Are the providers really young? Nothing against young but they may not have as many experiences to pull on, they may only know one way to care for your baby. You really need to communicate your concern but in a kind way. Providers want to feel loved and appreciated Remember though: YOUR THE MOM! Ultimately, you get to decide what is best for your baby. Listen to your gut! If your not comfortable figure out what other options you have. Babies can be fussy as they adjust but usually that period is short.
    The baby in the original post is now 2 years old. (Thread is dated 8-2010)

Mrs Steinel you still offered some good advice

Comment

ROTFLOL!! That is too funny I read the august part! I shouldn't read boards and watch the news at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        Subp. 9.Infant and newborn sleeping space.There must be a safe, comfortable sleeping space for each infant and newborn. A crib, portable crib, or playpen with waterproof mattress or pad must be provided for each infant or newborn in care. The equipment must be of safe and sturdy construction that conforms to volume 16, parts 1508 to 1508.7 and parts 1509 to 1509.9 of the Code of Federal Regulations, its successor, or have a bar or rail pattern such that a 2-3/8 inch diameter sphere cannot pass through. Playpens with mesh sidings must not be used for the care or sleeping of infants or newborns.

This is all I found in the licensing requirements. I suppose it is interpreted in different ways for different people. I would ask your county licensor. As a parent you are entitled to contact them with what ever questions you may have. Hope that helps!
        That is interesting, but pack n plays are fine...despite the mesh. Go figure!
        I sleep my infants in a different room with a monitor. So much easier than having them bumped into. Under 5 months, though, I wear while sleeping.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
          The baby in the original post is now 2 years old. (Thread is dated 8-2010)

Mrs Steinel you still offered some good advice
          I have noticed a lot of old threads being back in the new posts?? Someone going through reading old stuff maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Angelsj View Post
            I have noticed a lot of old threads being back in the new posts?? Someone going through reading old stuff maybe?
            Yep...and it's ALWAYS unregistered that have nothing else better to do
            Last edited by Former Teacher; 08-26-2012, 01:54 PM. Reason: corrected sentence :)

Comment

Originally posted by Angelsj View Post
              That is interesting, but pack n plays are fine...despite the mesh. Go figure!
              I sleep my infants in a different room with a monitor. So much easier than having them bumped into. Under 5 months, though, I wear while sleeping.
              I know right?!?!

My licensor and I discuss this ALL the time, but be warned, the CPSC is working on regulating Pack and Plays and will have safety standards in place for them I think they said in 2013.

This is what it says on their website about it;

Are portable cribs or play yards affected by the regulation?
              The crib standards cover portable cribs, but not play yards. CPSC’s crib rule includes a standard for full-size cribs (16 CFR part 1219) and a standard for non-full-size cribs (16 CFR part 1220). A non-full-size crib is a crib that is either larger or smaller (or otherwise shaped differently) from a full-size crib. The standard for non-full-size cribs covers portable cribs (a crib that “may be folded or collapsed, without disassembly, to occupy a volume substantially less than the volume it occupies when it is used”) as defined in that standard. The term “non-full-size crib” does not include products with mesh/net/screen or other non-rigid construction. Instead, enclosures with mesh or fabric sides are considered to be play yards and are not subject to the crib standards.

CPSC is developing a separate mandatory federal standard for play yards.

Comment

Actually on the front page of the CPSC it announces new safety standards for play yards (PNP's) as of June 29, 2012 and then says "The effective date for the mandatory play yard standard is six months after the final rule is published in the Federal Register" so I guess we will see how this new standard will effect child cares, if at all.

Our apologies. The page you are looking for may have been removed, had its URL changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  To keep looking, you may want to:  Use the Search box at the top of the page Try our site map below contact us directly to see if we can help [email protected] (800) 638-2772 -- Mon to Fri. 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM or leave a message at any time.  @USCPSC on Twitter

I do know that if I have to buy new ones, I will choose to find an alternative as I swear the new PNP's have shrunk in size compared to the ones I bought 5 or more years ago and are flimsy and not constructed well at all.

Comment

Total Hours of Nighttime Sleep
                  Total Hours of Daytime Sleep

Newborn
                  16 hours
                  8 to 9

1 month
                  15.5 hours
                  8 to 9

3 months
                  15 hours
                  9 to 10
                  4 to 5

6 months
                  14 hours

9 months
                  14 hours

1 year
                  14 hours

1.5 years
                  13.5 hours

2 years
                  13 hours
                  Last edited by Michael; 09-11-2012, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X