For Parents Of Children In Home Daycares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Parents Of Children In Home Daycares

All the talk of charging for sick days, vacation, holidays, etc. Just what do you---Parents---think is "fair" and why?

Do you think home providers should get sick days? Paid vacations? Paid personal days? Should the parent have to pay if the child doesn't attend due to vacation, holidays, illness, etc. Just wondering what the parents point of view on this is.

On the providers note, parents need to remember that out of our weekly income, we have to pay taxes, insurance, buy food, supplies, maintain our home from the daycare use, pay higher utilities, etc.

Re: for parents of children in in-home daycares

As the poster of the question regarding paying for provider time off for surgery, I am happy to reply I certainly believe that all daycare providers deserve paid holidays and a set number of paid personal days as determined by the provider in advance. A sick day, here or there, is also to be expected and I wouldn't ask her to pro-rate an entire month for one or two days off when she is ill...that would be ridiculous.

Because my daughter is my top priority, I want to ensure that the person caring for her is getting adequate time off and taking care of herself so that she is working at her best. While I would love if I didn't have to pay for the days my daughter isn't at daycare (hey, money is tight these days!), it is not realistic to expect a provider to not charge for days my child is out sick or the days I keep her home. Providers have to work to live like we all do and expect a steady income. Just my 2 cents!

As a first time mother, I am learning about daycare as I go and in the future will certainly request a contract of some type that my provider and I can both feel comfortable with. There have been extenuating circumstances in the last six months that led to some issues which a contract may have been able to alleviate. As a completely unrelated side note, I wasn't aware that so many in-home daycares provide meals since mine doesn't, what a bonus!!

Comment

As a provider for 9 years, I want to say thank you for respecting us and understanding that while most of us do this job because we love children and kind of found our niche, it is still our source of income. It is nice to have understanding and respectful parents to work with.

I do know a lot of providers don't provide bk or lunch, as a parent who had my own children in dc for 8 years, I can't imagine going to a provider that I had to take their bk and lunch. As a provider, I supply bk, lunch, snacks, preschool curriculum, and activities through out the year, all for $80 a week ft. I put my heart into what I do, and a lot of my income goes right back into my business to buy food, supplies, utilities, etc.

I think you stated your comments very well, and show your provider a lot of respect.

Comment

parents of children in home daycare

Hi,
        as both a parent & carer i feel that carers should not be paid annual leave, sick days etc.(as a carer i would love to see it happen!)

Can i just add,as we are self employed,as some buliders are, that if you got a builder to come in to build your house & he took 2 weeks off over xmas, would you think it fair if he charged you for his time off for a service that you are not getting?

I honestly believe that these costs need to be reflected in the hourly rate the carer charges & do what i do.You work your backside off all year, save hard & i take all summer holidays off to spend with my kids.

Parents should NEVER be charged for days the Carers are unavailable for whatever reason.I think thats really rude to do that.But, i am not from USA & i do realise your daycare run alot differently to ours.I think the fact that USA does not give out a Childcare rebate to parents sucks.

Comment

We don't get a childcare rebate, but we do get a deduction for childcare costs. Too complicated to explain and not as good as a rebate, but better than nothing.

Comment

I do not agree with caregivers getting paid vacations and any paid days off. There are benefits to being self employed and downfalls. I think that if a caregiver needs a vacation it should be that persons responsibility to find an appropriate "fill in" while taking a day off. Does your company shut down when the president takes a day off? So, here the parents are having to pay for a caregivers time off while finding and paying someone else to watch their kids. So, they have to pay double for the caregivers day off. People that provide care for other peoples children in their own home should account for the fact that alot of us have costs related to our jobs. Example: education, transporation, clothing, childcare, tools,etc. You aren't this persons employer you are a customer purchasing a service and if the service is not received you should not pay. If you are worried about your caregiver not getting enough rest or time to take care of themselves and you want to offer to pay that is different than being charged for a service not received.

Comment

[QUOTE=jacky;4238]Hi,
              Can i just add,as we are self employed,as some buliders are, that if you got a builder to come in to build your house & he took 2 weeks off over xmas, would you think it fair if he charged you for his time off for a service that you are not getting?

'Child care' is a much different service than 'builder'. One comes into your home and provides a specific, agreed upon service for a short period of time. In the other, you go to her home. Your child's caregiver becomes a major player in your child's life. In some cases spending more waking hours with the care giver than the parent. You don't think that this person deserves a little more than a 'self employed contractor'?

I honestly believe that these costs need to be reflected in the hourly rate the carer charges & do what i do.You work your backside off all year, save hard & i take all summer holidays off to spend with my kids.

If the cost of vacations and days off were built into the hourly rate (a whopping $2.70 here) the complaint would be 'the higher cost of childcare' instead of 'paid vacations and holidays'. The caregiver can't win~parents want it all, quality care, loving home, nutritious food, preschool, toys, art supplies, a yard that looks like a playground~all for $1.00/hour.

I've been on both sides of the fence, both parent and provider so I know what I speak of.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                I do not agree with caregivers getting paid vacations and any paid days off. There are benefits to being self employed and downfalls. I think that if a caregiver needs a vacation it should be that persons responsibility to find an appropriate "fill in" while taking a day off. Does your company shut down when the president takes a day off? So, here the parents are having to pay for a caregivers time off while finding and paying someone else to watch their kids. So, they have to pay double for the caregivers day off. People that provide care for other peoples children in their own home should account for the fact that alot of us have costs related to our jobs. Example: education, transporation, clothing, childcare, tools,etc. You aren't this persons employer you are a customer purchasing a service and if the service is not received you should not pay. If you are worried about your caregiver not getting enough rest or time to take care of themselves and you want to offer to pay that is different than being charged for a service not received.
                I would just like to say that us caregivers also have costs related to our jobs........food(to feed your kids not mine), transportation (if you do before and after school), damage to our homes and things in our homes(caused by YOUR children), carpet cleaning (that has to be done at least once a month), Education (because you do have to have some type of it), toys ( i could go on forever). Adding in that my home is open to your children 72 hrs a week I sometimes have these kids more than there own parents!!! Oh and for only pennies on the dollar, because if we charged what we are entitled to Daycare would be to expensive for anyone! So yes I will take a paid vacation and sick days off cause lets face it, most of the time its YOUR children getting us sick! I have 15 years experience I think that entitles me to a paid vacation! I just suggest that you always read your contract if paid sick days and vacation is added in to the contract and you don't like it go somewhere else! I am a Daycare Provider not a babysitter!!

Comment

Before this question can be adequately answered...I believe you need to establish the different levels of child care...

Are we speaking of a home mom that just babysits for extra cash?
                  Are we speaking of a small, unorganized provider, that may in fact keep several children...
                  OR
                  Are we speaking of an actual HOME DAYCARE.

I began my child care business 16 years ago..
                  From the very beginning I was REGISTERED Home (6 full time children). After 8 years, I upgraded my business to a LICENSED Home Child Care (12 fulltime children).

I have always had a PARENT HANDBOOK..with all my business policies..
                  Parents are required to read it, and sign an agreement that they have read and agree to it, before their child can begin in my care.

As the years have passed, I have revised my Parent Handbook many times...with up to 6 months notice to all my customers, before implementing new policies.

For the first few years I allowed parents to 'dock' my pay if I closed due to illness.
                  I would always tell them to prorate the fee based on the number of days I was open for business.

I took the MAJOR holidays...and always expected full pay for those...
                  Christmas...Thanksgiving...New Year's...etc..

I have never required parents to pay if I were closed for a full week vacation...
                  because of that...I do not take a yearly week vacation...
                  Frankly, I just can't afford to ..if I loose a full week of income from all my customers...

One year ago I had a hysterectomy.
                  I worked Monday...
                  Tuesday my sister came from out of town (17 years as a Kindergarten teacher, fully qualified to run my business) ...she ran my daycare for me, so that I could have surgery...
                  She was in charge Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday...
                  Thursday evening her son became ill with a stomach virus.
                  I sent her home...
                  and Friday morning...with the assistance of my husband...and my 4 daughters...I was back on the job...
                  3 days after major surgery...
                  On Monday my husband was back at his own job...
                  My 4 daughters helped me for 2 weeks...with lifting and cooking...
                  After that,...I was on my own again.

The daycare never closed...and my parents never really made any comment after the first few days...
                  I wonder how many of them would have been back to work 3 days after major surgery??

One year ago...in my most recent Parent Handbook revision...I added a section covering PERSONAL DAYS.
                  I allowed 10 personal days per year....at full fee..
                  These days can be used for illness....or personal use.
                  I explained that as always...if it were due to illness...I would notify them as soon as possible..
                  but...if it were for personal use...they would always have several weeks...if not several months advance notice..
                  I have always taken great care to never schedule a day off with any less than 3 full weeks advance notice, except in the case of family emergency..
                  ie...funeral...

After 16 years...many of my clients are repeat customers...
                  They began in my child care with their first child...and brought younger siblings as their families grew...so many of my clients are fully aware of the fact that it is very rare for me to close suddenly due to illness...often only once every year or two...

I will be closed next Monday and Tuesday, July 28 and 29 for personal days.
                  I originally posted the note notifying my parents of this closure on April 11...
                  More than adequate notice.

On July 1 I posted a vacation notice to my parents...
                  My husband and I have planned a trip for our children at Christmas...which will require me to be closed the entire week.
                  Normally I would not require the parents to pay for that...
                  However...
                  I have always required full pay for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so..I am requiring that the parents pay half the usual fee for that week in order for me to be paid for my holiday...
                  I could combine my 8 remaining personal days ...and require full pay for that week..and I did consider that...but...
                  I chose not to do that.

I believe that the bottom line is this..
                  EDUCATE YOURSELF..

The one post stated that she was entrusting the care of her child with this caregiver...and she wanted to ensure that the caregiver was well taken care of.

I can't begin to imagine that anyone would ever want to short change...or dock the pay of the person they trust to care for their precious child...
                  That is beyond my comprehension...

But...before you hire any person to provide child care for your child...ask for something in writing...not only for your own protection, but that of the caregiver...

A quality care giver should have a well thought out set of guidelines for what they expect.
                  If they do not...then you get what you pay for..

I have always been a firm believer that the bottom line is..THIS IS MY DAYCARE BUSINESS..
                  I establish my own hours..
                  I establish my fee..
                  I establish my policies...
                  A potential client must read and agree to all my policies before we can begin to be in business together..
                  IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH MY POLICIES...find alternate care...
                  It's that simple..

so to all CHILD CARE PROVIDERS out there...
                  Get something in writing..
                  Google it..
                  I did..
                  There are allot of very very poorly written PARENT HANDBOOKS out there on the internet..
                  I'm amazed at what some of these providers have posted...
                  but...
                  it does serve one purpose...it showed me what NOT to put in my own PARENT HANDBOOK...as well as giving me some great ideas that I might not have otherwise thought of...
                  Whatever you decide...put it in writing...require parents to agree to it..
                  OR..
                  don't enroll their child in to your care..

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    I would just like to say that us caregivers also have costs related to our jobs........food(to feed your kids not mine), transportation (if you do before and after school), damage to our homes and things in our homes(caused by YOUR children), carpet cleaning (that has to be done at least once a month), Education (because you do have to have some type of it), toys ( i could go on forever). Adding in that my home is open to your children 72 hrs a week I sometimes have these kids more than there own parents!!! Oh and for only pennies on the dollar, because if we charged what we are entitled to Daycare would be to expensive for anyone! So yes I will take a paid vacation and sick days off cause lets face it, most of the time its YOUR children getting us sick! I have 15 years experience I think that entitles me to a paid vacation! I just suggest that you always read your contract if paid sick days and vacation is added in to the contract and you don't like it go somewhere else! I am a Daycare Provider not a babysitter!!
                    I know in my situation that I do want great care for my kids. I also have gotten to a point with gas prices and such that having to pay my caregiver's vacation (which I do not get paid vacations myself) I wouldn't be able to work that week. So I lost out on a weeks pay and have to pay a charge for services not received. I do feel that if a provider wanted to add paid vacation they should add it to the hourly rate. If somebody was paid 2.70 per hour for one child the provider would only have to add $.17 per hour for 120 hours of paid time off. That is much easier than being hit with a weeks charges for services not received. There are multiple children there so I am aware that 2.70 is not the total amount a caregiver makes. Take my situation at hand. I do social work (private agency) where I work to protect children from abuse/neglect.. I do not work from the safety of my own home. I actually risk my life everyday for NO benefits. I go into these abusive homes alone and I also monitor state mandated supervised visits. The reason I have no benefits is because in my area the most we are allowed to work is 34 hours but that does not count time in court, etc. (since we are ordered by the court to be there we do not get paid) I do not mind the no benefits because I chose this career. Just as caregiver chose their career. Yes, my job does effect my home (where do these kids go if there are no foster homes available that night?) but I do not get paid for the use of my home or my time. I do get reimbursement for my car a whopping 38 cents a mile when gas is as high as it is these days. So, my point is that there are people out there that need childcare and simply cannot afford it because they have to pay for the caregiver to take time off. So, I guess that people like me can't have kids and work. That is what it has come to since after all my expenses I clear a whopping 50.00 per week. So, we are looking after YOUR kids making sure it is safe for them to go to school, ride the bus, sleep at night without abuse and we can't even afford to buy shoes for our children at the end of the week. For some of us choosing a new career is impossible since this is all we have ever known or had experience. So, when I hear about people complaining that someone comments about not agreeing with it when caregivers ask for paid vacations I just wish they would think about the fact that some of us wake up in the morning slap a smile on our face to comfort an injured child w/o any rewards including a paid day off. I quit using a caregiver based in her home back when I was caught in a snow storm trying to get to my child and she refused to feed her dinner and allowed her to watch her family eat all because I did not pay for that meal yet. This was a snowstorm that hit suddenly and many people were trying to get home to their families not just me. She allowed her to be hungry until I got there at 8:00 pm which was funny that her husband wasn't home yet and stuck in the storm. That to me was pure greed! Sad that the dollar can be more important than an innocent child or a family struggling to survive.

Comment

I understand what you are describing...
                      And there are allot of working parents out there that are in the exact same position as you are.
                      Hourly workers....If you aren't there...you don't get paid.
                      If you miss work due to your own illness, or that of your child...you loose part of your pay check..
                      Yet..you may be required to pay for child care even though your child did not attend.

Again I say...educate yourself.
                      There are allot of various levels of child care out there.
                      In larger cities there are drop in care facilities, which charge a day fee for service, and do not charge if your child is absent.
                      But..
                      If you choose a home provider .... find out ahead of time what is expected...and either agree to it...or keep shopping for alternate care.

You chose the job you do...KNOWING what the benefits of that job are.
                      Yet you continue to stay in that job, for whatever reason you are in it.
                      Do the same thing with your child care ... Shop until you find the best care giver to meet your needs.

This is why I will not enroll a child until a parent completely reads and AGREES TO my parent handbook.
                      If they do not want to pay for days their child does not attend...then I advise them to continue shopping for another care giver.
                      I am a LICENSED HOME PROVIDER and regulated on the number of children I can enroll.
                      If your child is absent, I can't just pick up the phone and call in an alternate child to fill your child's position for the day.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;5147]I know in my situation that I do want great care for my kids. I also have gotten to a point with gas prices and such that having to pay my caregiver's vacation (which I do not get paid vacations myself) I wouldn't be able to work that week. QUOTE]

I do not charge by the hr and it sounds like to me that in your case someone that charges by the hour and doesn't not charge for vac. or holidays would be to your benfit. However, I set my own hours and my own policies if you don't agree don't sign! Also i would never, ever eat in front of a child like that its just rude. All of my daycare children are fed before i eat ( i sometimes don't eat until nap). I only keep a small group of children (6) and will not care for more than that! And my parents like it that way!

Comment

I have been a preschool teacher at a center-base childcare, and now have been running my own preschool/in-home daycare for 8 yrs. My experience, loving nature, warm environment, and extremely educational preschool, is what parents pay for. Yes, holidays, vacations, and sick days ARE needed. I had two teachers as back-ups for the first two years, and with the way our society is, I decided to run my preschool with only myself as the employee. Meaning-I know I do a terrific job, and when I need time off, I don't have to worry what is happening back at home. I get 2 weeks off for vacation, 1 week of sick pay, and all holidays, which include New Years, Good Friday, (close to bday), Memorial Day-up to 3 days, July 4-up to 3 days, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and day after, and Christmas-up to 3 days. I work w/ my parents, and I always give a months notice for time off-or I put up a sign-up sheet to see who needs my care on those 3 day holidays-and if more than 3 sign up-I'm open. I make it loud and clear before they sign the contract, that they understand these days off-if they don't like the contract, they don't sign. I have been here 8 yrs, and have had a full house every year. RESPECT-I also give my families a free one week a year-one family at a time. RESPECT. They don't pay for funerals, or overtime. RESPECT. They also don't pay for field trips/projects---everything is included in weekly fee. Those who don't respect the early childhood years-need to stay home and educate their own offspring. I'm for the KIDS OF THE FUTURE.

Comment

Is this a parent/guardian forum or not?

I was under the understanding that this forum was for parents and guardians. This was our opportunity to talk with other parents and ask questions. I am noticing a trend of providers jumping in and yelling at people for not agreeing. Especially where the old dollar is involved. Just because one lady does not agree with paying for vacations does not mean that she is talking your customers out of paying for your time off. She is simply stating that she does not agree. You are pretty much telling her to shut up and that she is not allowed to come in here and have an opinion. When an opinion is asked do not be alarmed or testy if some do not have the same opinions as you do. Providers, please allow the parents to answer the questions without reprocussion!

Comment

Reporting a Post and Registering as a Member.

Suggest you register as a forum member. As a registered member you can private message and also report a posting that many not be proper. It helps us at Daycare.com to better monitor and serve your needs.

Comment

Working...
                              X