DCM going to shelter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCM going to shelter

Hello. I have a DCM who told me this morning that her and her daughter would be moving into a shelter next week . She is a state pay client and she gets housing assistance from the state but is still in the process of finding a home. I am so sad by their situation and feel like I should help. I want to offer my basement (where my daycare is set up)and a air mattresses but wonder if maybe that is crossing a line. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by Jamie's FCH View Post
    Hello. I have a DCM who told me this morning that her and her daughter would be moving into a shelter next week . She is a state pay client and she gets housing assistance from the state but is still in the process of finding a home. I am so sad by their situation and feel like I should help. I want to offer my basement (where my daycare is set up)and a air mattresses but wonder if maybe that is crossing a line. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Every provider has a comfort level in regards to how deeply they allow business stuff to mix with personal stuff.

I personally keep a VERY wide and VERY strictly drawn line between work and personal life.

I would NOT get involved with something like that, other than to offer what resources and/or agency information that I knew of that could maybe help but other than that......nope. I just wouldn't do it.

I've crossed that line before and never has it been a positive experience so for me the answer would be a very firm and empathetic NO.

Comment

I wouldn't do it either. People who you can work with on a professional level are often not people you can stand to live with. Oh heck sometimes we can't stand to live with the ones we love . But as they say fish and house guests always start to stink after a few days. Any time I have done such a thing, it has not worked out for me.

Comment

I know it's hard, but the shelter will help her in ways you can't. They have access to programs and information to help this momma help herself. If it was just a "can I sleep on the floor until I find a place" that'd be different. This situation is one I would offer mental support only for.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriftylady View Post
          I wouldn't do it either. People who you can work with on a professional level are often not people you can stand to live with. Oh heck sometimes we can't stand to live with the ones we love . But as they say fish and house guests always start to stink after a few days. Any time I have done such a thing, it has not worked out for me.
          ....plus remember the whole newstory about the live in nanny that refused to leave??

Once you let someone in to stay with you, it gives them certain rights or at the very least makes it difficult to get them to leave should they decide to stay on a bit longer...

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            ....plus remember the whole newstory about the live in nanny that refused to leave??

Once you let someone in to stay with you, it gives them certain rights or at the very least makes it difficult to get them to leave should they decide to stay on a bit longer...

Plus if she lives in your home she may need to be background checked. Here that is the rule by licensing. She'd have to be fingerprinted, etc. and there is a fee for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurel View Post

Plus if she lives in your home she may need to be background checked. Here that is the rule by licensing. She'd have to be fingerprinted, etc. and there is a fee for that.
              I was wondering about that also. But wasn't sure since every state differs so much.

Comment

Working...
              X