Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hours

Good afternoon,

I'm in the process of becoming a licensed home daycare in FL because I would love to teach VPK (Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten)in my home. Do you all think children benefit from longer hours or shorter for VPK programs. or

I also am interested offering preK at home, and am a trained preschool teacher with a bachelors degree in child development. This is the routine that I came up with:

HALF-DAY PRESCHOOL
    8:30am Preschool Drop-Off; Greetings
    8:30am-9:30am Free Play Time, then Clean-Up
    9:30am-10:00am Large Group Activity
    10:00am-10:30am Individual Work or Small Group Activity
    10:30am-11:30am Outdoor Play and Learning
    11:30am Preschool Pick-Up; Goodbyes

I'm considering adding time to the day to offer an AM snack, because I think shared meal times for kiddos are good experiences for them.

You could offer 2 sessions, if you wanted: AM & PM. You could also offer a full day session too. I think both half days and full days are okay... it is really more about what you offer during those blocks of time more than anything, imo. Research shows that kids benefit from having at minimum one full hour of free play (both inside and outside), so that they have the time to engage in deep and meaningful play. A quality preschool program, according to the
    NAEYC, will also have opportunities each day for small group activities as well as large/whole group activities.

Keep me updated on what you decided to do, if you wish. Home preschool is a niche. It's a rarity to find one here in MI...

Comment

Hello! I'm in MI and I do preschool in the mornings. I'm a daycare, but also a preschool. It runs from 9-11:30. It's enough time! The rest of the time is free play, eating, nap, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I also am interested offering preK at home, and am a trained preschool teacher with a bachelors degree in child development. This is the routine that I came up with:

HALF-DAY PRESCHOOL
        8:30am Preschool Drop-Off; Greetings
        8:30am-9:30am Free Play Time, then Clean-Up
        9:30am-10:00am Large Group Activity
        10:00am-10:30am Individual Work or Small Group Activity
        10:30am-11:30am Outdoor Play and Learning
        11:30am Preschool Pick-Up; Goodbyes

I'm considering adding time to the day to offer an AM snack, because I think shared meal times for kiddos are good experiences for them.

You could offer 2 sessions, if you wanted: AM & PM. You could also offer a full day session too. I think both half days and full days are okay... it is really more about what you offer during those blocks of time more than anything, imo. Research shows that kids benefit from having at minimum one full hour of free play (both inside and outside), so that they have the time to engage in deep and meaningful play. A quality preschool program, according to the
        NAEYC, will also have opportunities each day for small group activities as well as large/whole group activities.

Keep me updated on what you decided to do, if you wish. Home preschool is a niche. It's a rarity to find one here in MI...
        This is me btw... I just wasn't logged in at the time.

Originally posted by midaycare View Post
        Hello! I'm in MI and I do preschool in the mornings. I'm a daycare, but also a preschool. It runs from 9-11:30. It's enough time! The rest of the time is free play, eating, nap, etc.
        Where at in Michigan?

Comment

Working...
        X