Hair Clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Clips

I have a lil girl whose mom always dresses her to the max complete with hair clips or a headband or both. They are well aware that I will not let her nap with them in her hair due to choking hazards and they are fine with it. Well after nap, I put them in the diaper bag and go about my day. The mom wants me to "re due"her hair after nap. I explained to the mom that the lil girl doesn't leave them alone, and it causes a new choking hazard for the other lil kids that find the clip or head band on the floor if she pulls it out.She says that she is trying to train her daughter to leave them alone and she doesn't understand where Im coming from. Would I be out of line if I tell her that the clips or head bands are no longer allowed in my daycare period? I want to add it to my list of things on my contract that are not allowed here. Or is there a better way to handle it or spell it out in my contract

You would absolutely not be out of line to ban these items. I do. They are a choking hazard for little ones, and it is simply safer, IMO, to not allow them. There are some kids who put EVERYTHING they can find in their mouths.

If Mom can't "see where you are coming from", explain to her that you need to keep ALL kids safe. The hair items falling on the floor could be a hazard to the little ones who feel the need to mouth everything they find. Then tell her that you are banning hair accessories altogether. The only thing I will allow is small rubber bands.

Comment

More threads about hair ties/accessories

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
        You would absolutely not be out of line to ban these items. I do. They are a choking hazard for little ones, and it is simply safer, IMO, to not allow them. There are some kids who put EVERYTHING they can find in their mouths.

If Mom can't "see where you are coming from", explain to her that you need to keep ALL kids safe. The hair items falling on the floor could be a hazard to the little ones who feel the need to mouth everything they find. Then tell her that you are banning hair accessories altogether. The only thing I will allow is small rubber bands.
        Thanks. Now granted. I get that a big flower clip or head band isn't going to hurt. but this mom brings the elastic head band that could easily be balled up and put in a mouth. and the clips are about the size of a penny that are shaped in a heart or a star. Im all for finding a plan where both are happy but not with the ones shes bringing.

Comment

Originally posted by cara041083 View Post
          She says that she is trying to train her daughter to leave them alone
          "Great DCM! Let me know once you've taught her to leave them alone in here hair. In the meantime hair clips and headbands with small pieces need to stay at home or I can remove them if you forget and put them in the diaper bag. I just CAN'T keep having the other kids find them and putting them in their mouths. Choking hazard you know!".

If she doesn't know where you're coming from she'll probably keep putting them in her hair so just keep taking them off, in front of DCM if necessary. Pluck them right out of DCGs hair and pop them right into the bag as soon as she gets to your house. "Woopsie, let me get those ... there we go, all done. Now lets put them in the bag" said out loud in a sing song voice as of you're talking to DCG but really DCM should hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by MV View Post
            Originally posted by cara041083 View Post
            She says that she is trying to train her daughter to leave them alone and she doesn't understand where Im coming from.
            "Great DCM! Let me know once you've taught her to leave them alone in here hair. In the meantime hair clips and headbands with small pieces need to stay at home or I can remove them if you forget and put them in the diaper bag. I just CAN'T keep having the other kids find them and putting them in their mouths. Choking hazard you know!".

If she doesn't know where you're coming from she'll probably keep putting them in her hair so just keep taking them off, in front of DCM if necessary. Pluck them right out of DCGs hair and pop them right into the bag as soon as she gets to your house. "Woopsie, let me get those ... there we go, all done. Now lets put them in the bag" said out loud in a sing song voice as of you're talking to DCG but really DCM should hear it.
            Exactly! Mom can train her to leave them alone when SHE has several other little kids to take care of!

If anyone is going to be exposed to a potentially dangerous situation (choking) then it needs to be on HER watch not yours!

That is the angle I would approach mom too.... that you are not just responsible for her little one but for others as well and her daughter's learning processes do NOT outweigh the other kids' right to a safe environment.

Comment

I absolutely ban them!

A few years ago when I worked in a center an infant had a little clip in her hair. It fell out and another infant swallowed it. He had to go to the hospital to get a X ray and then we had to check his diapers to make sure it came out. Plus we had to call licensing and they had to come out. Luckily the parents were understanding or it could have been worse.

I never want to have to go through that or something worse so I don't allow them. I would just tell the dcp that they are choking hazards and you won't allow them anymore.

Comment

It made me laugh that you are to do her hair after naptime. I am just picturing trying to fix all of the little girls hair I have here and it would take a good bit of time while the boys are put on hold.

I would TOTALLY do it like MV said.

Comment

Working...
                X