Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training

I have decided to have my 20 year old cousin listed as my back up. She wouldn't be an assistant, but she would come and watch the kids when I have to go to the doctor or take one of my kids to the doctor. In my state she needs to have the safe sleep class, and the cpr/first aid. Who is responsible for paying for those classes? I found out she was going to be my back up as well as work at her moms daycare center during the summer as a sup. So I don't feel like I should have to pay for the total cost. I offered to pay half an have her mom pay the other half since she will be at both places, but her mom (also my cousin) thinks I should cover it. What do you ladies think? I don't mind paying she was only getting it to help me but shes not.

Originally posted by cara041083 View Post
    I have decided to have my 20 year old cousin listed as my back up. She wouldn't be an assistant, but she would come and watch the kids when I have to go to the doctor or take one of my kids to the doctor. In my state she needs to have the safe sleep class, and the cpr/first aid. Who is responsible for paying for those classes? I found out she was going to be my back up as well as work at her moms daycare center during the summer as a sup. So I don't feel like I should have to pay for the total cost. I offered to pay half an have her mom pay the other half since she will be at both places, but her mom (also my cousin) thinks I should cover it. What do you ladies think? I don't mind paying she was only getting it to help me but shes not.
    If she works at her moms daycare she should already have these trainings eh?

I think you could tell her that a requirement of the job is to have those things, and then once she is working for you then you would kick in and pay them.

I would think it would be a win win for your cousin paying half.

Regardless if she was going to work for me I would want those things to be covered and just provide the training to cover myself and for the safety of the kids.

Curious how you end up working this one out-

Comment

If she's going to be supervising the children while you're not there then she has to have all of the training you were required to have minus an orientation. So safe sleep, abuse & neglect, CPR/first aid, child development, health assessment & TB test, and be listed on your KBI registry.

K.A.R. 28-4-113. Definitions.
      (c) “Care provider” and “provider” mean an individual who cares for and supervises children in a facility and has responsibility for the health, safety, and well-being of children, including the following:
      (1) A primary care provider;
      (2) an individual who is at least 16 years of age and who is working in the facility;
      and
      (3) a substitute.

K.A.R. 28-4-114a.
      (2) Each applicant, each applicant with a temporary permit, and each licensee shall provide orientation to each individual who will be caring for children about the policies and practices of the facility, including duties and responsibilities for the care and supervision of children. Each provider shall complete the orientation before the provider is given sole responsibility for the care and supervision of children. The orientation shall include the following:
      (A) Licensing regulations;
      (B) the policies and practices of the facility, including emergency procedures, behavior management, and discipline;
      (C) the schedule of daily activities;
      (D) care and supervision of children in care; 45
      (E) health and safety practices; and
      (F) confidentiality.

(b) Health and safety training. Each applicant, each applicant with a temporary permit, each licensee, and each provider shall complete health and safety training approved by the department.
      (1) Each applicant and each applicant with a temporary permit shall complete the training not later than 30 calendar days after submitting an application for a license.
      (2) Each provider shall complete the training before the date of employment or not later than 30 calendar days after the date of employment.
      (3) Each licensee whose license was issued before the effective date of this regulation shall complete the training within one calendar year after the effective date of this regulation. Each provider who was employed in the facility before the effective date of this regulation shall complete the training within one calendar year after the effective date of this regulation.
      (4) The health and safety training shall include the following:
      (A) At least two clock-hours of training in recognizing the signs of child abuse or neglect, including prevention of abusive head trauma, and the reporting of suspected child abuse and neglect;
      (B) at least two clock-hours of training in basic child development; and
      (C) at least two clock-hours of training on safe sleep practices and sudden infant death syndrome if the individual will be caring for children under 12 months of age.
      (c) Pediatric first aid and pediatric cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certifications. Each applicant, each applicant with a temporary permit, each licensee, and each provider shall obtain certification in pediatric first aid and pediatric CPR as specified in this subsection.
      (1) Each applicant and each applicant with a temporary permit shall obtain the
      certifications not later than 30 calendar days after submitting an application for a
      license.
      (2) Each provider shall obtain the certifications before the date of employment or not later than 30 calendar days after the date of employment.
      (3) Each licensee whose license was issued before the effective date of this regulation shall obtain the certifications within one calendar year after the effective date of this regulation. Each provider who was employed in the facility before the effective date of this regulation shall obtain the certifications within one calendar year after the effective date of this regulation.
      (4) Each individual required to obtain the certifications shall maintain current certifications.
      To answer your question about payment since she is the one you're hiring whatever training she does not have that is required in order for her to do the job would need to be paid for by you... and all of the time it takes her to complete the training would be paid hours.

Now if you're putting out an advertisement you can put as one of the requirements of the job to already have all of that training in order to avoid paying for any of it.

Comment

Originally posted by cara041083 View Post
        Sorry I didn't read the part about her working somewhere else, too. Well, you could always say I can't hire anyone unless they already have all of that training... then hire her once she has it.

Comment

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post
          Sorry I didn't read the part about her working somewhere else, too. Well, you could always say I can't hire anyone unless they already have all of that training... then hire her once she has it.

Comment

Working...
          X