Celiacs Disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celiacs Disease

I have a family that is interested in starting with me in June. The 2 children ages 2 and 4 both have celiacs disease.

I am NOT at all familiar with it and was wondering if anyone could fill me in.

I am trying to decide if it is going to be tough to manage/deal with or something that is not a big deal.

I AM on the food program but family has offered to provide meals.

I would just like to be able to have enough information to make an educated decision on whether or not this is something I can and am willing to do.

Thanks ladies!

It is a lot of work if it is a true celiac. They can't tolerate any gluten as it causes intestinal distress. This means you need spotless cutting boards etc. no cross contamination.

Some people throw the word celiac around loosely because gluten free is trendy right now but a true celiac will be very sick with contact - even possibly just skin contact.

Comment

Originally posted by canadiancare View Post
      It is a lot of work if it is a true celiac. They can't tolerate any gluten as it causes intestinal distress. This means you need spotless cutting boards etc. no cross contamination.

Some people throw the word celiac around loosely because gluten free is trendy right now but a true celiac will be very sick with contact - even possibly just skin contact.
      So far, I have just spoken on the phone with the parent and have been told that it isn't serious, just a "little tummy issue" ~ were the words used by the parent.

Is there anything specific I should ask them?

Like I said, they are willing to provide meals.

They are a family from my waitlist and although the hours are good and will fit in with what I have going on this summer, I just want to make sure I have all the info I need before I agree or disagree.

Years ago, I wouldn't have considered a family that had any type of dietary need that differed from what I considered "normal" eating but the more I read and learn about diet now days has me really rethinking a lot of things.

Because of that, I am more willing to be accepting of different dietary needs IF it is something I can manage without jeopardizing the care of others or my sanity.

Comment

Living gluten free and wondering about cross contamination? Read about how to manage while at home and away from home with Celiac Canada.

This is a list of how to keep your kitchen for a celiac.

The disease causes malabsorption issues of nutrients so it is essential to keep it in check.

Comment

If the parents were willing to supply all food I'd certainly consider it.

The only thing I'd be really concerned with is there being hurt feelings if meals and snacks don't match up. I could see that turning into a big "Well why does Janie get that and I don't! Not fair!" coming from both sides of the fence every single meal and snack you know?

I agree with canadiancare that it's become super trendy now to go gluten free and declare a little indigestion as Celiacs. If the parents themselves have declared it's just a little tummy issue I doubt they're truly afflicted, so at least in that regard you wouldn't have to use near the caution as you would as if they were officially diagnosed and actually suffering from it.

Comment

There are 3 actual conditions. Celiac which is a genetic auto immune disease, gluten intolerance which is similar to lactose intolerance and wheat allergy which is rare and like a peanut allergy potentially deadly.

Comment

We have a child whom I suspect has celiac, but is under 1 and too young to test.

Like PPs have said, true celiac is hard to manage because even the crumbs of food containing gluten can be dangerous.

If it is just a little tummy issue, and is more of a gluten sensitivity - I don't think it will be too hard to manage. Especially if parents are providing meals. Until our current DCB needed to avoid gluten - I didn't realize how many of our meals contain gluten.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                I have a family that is interested in starting with me in June. The 2 children ages 2 and 4 both have celiacs disease.

I am NOT at all familiar with it and was wondering if anyone could fill me in.

I am trying to decide if it is going to be tough to manage/deal with or something that is not a big deal.

I AM on the food program but family has offered to provide meals.

I would just like to be able to have enough information to make an educated decision on whether or not this is something I can and am willing to do.

Thanks ladies!
                My daughter is has Celiac disease. At it's worst she was having such severe tummy issues she couldn't walk and once she was screaming and we rushed her to the ER. She was off everything for a few months which rebooted her system and gave her time to heal. Now she can tolerate little amounts like wheat in a sauce or using the same cutting board for breads and even occasionally pasta but she's old enough to know not to overdue it.

I would have no issue taking on celiac children especially ones coming to care with their own food. If treats are an issue mom could just give you some gluten free cupcakes to freeze and you could bring them out on the treat days.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow View Post
                  If the parents were willing to supply all food I'd certainly consider it.

The only thing I'd be really concerned with is there being hurt feelings if meals and snacks don't match up. I could see that turning into a big "Well why does Janie get that and I don't! Not fair!" coming from both sides of the fence every single meal and snack you know?

I agree with canadiancare that it's become super trendy now to go gluten free and declare a little indigestion as Celiacs. If the parents themselves have declared it's just a little tummy issue I doubt they're truly afflicted, so at least in that regard you wouldn't have to use near the caution as you would as if they were officially diagnosed and actually suffering from it.
                  I already have one family that completely supplies meals for their child as the child is 100% dairy free.

The issue of other's being upset doesn't seem to be an issue so I don't think that will be a roadblock or trouble. * I think *

I also do NOT take anyone's word for any condition of infliction they "say" they have. I require a doctor's statement that CLEARLY outlines the diagnosis and the requirements of the diagnosis so I am pretty sure that requirement would prove or disprove the "trendy" stuff....kwim?

My biggest concern is I really don't want to have to do anything similar to having a severe peanut allergy in care....Does that make sense?

I don't want to worry that just because a knife touched a plate, that a child could possibly die. That is WAY to much liability to take on and I am cautious and hesitant about doing any type of "special" when possible death is a concern.

I just HATE not having info so until I actually meet with the family this afternoon, I don't really have knowledge of the severity of what I may or may not be dealing with.

There are 3 actual conditions. Celiac which is a genetic auto immune disease, gluten intolerance which is similar to lactose intolerance and wheat allergy which is rare and like a peanut allergy potentially deadly.
                  That's good information. Along with the link you previously provided. Thank you!

Comment

To be tested for celiac you do the opposite of an elimination diet because they need a biopsy of your lower intestine while flared up.

My friend's son was misdiagnosed with celiac when he actually had Crohn's and he was studying in my city far from home so we ended up trying to get him sorted for her. A real flare up looks excruciating.

Comment

To be tested for celiac you do the opposite of an elimination diet because they need a biopsy of your lower intestine while flared up.

My friend's son was misdiagnosed with celiac when he actually had Crohn's and he was studying in my city far from home so we ended up trying to get him sorted for her. A real flare up looks excruciating.
                      My daughter had the blood test for it which thankfully was positive so she didn't need the biopsy. My Grandmother needed a biopsy and she said it was a terrible experience. Granted she was 65 and already in poor health.

Comment

The child I had everything was provided-even milk. I stored the milk at my house so it wasn't having to go back and forth everyday.

Nothing could be cross contaminated so I would fix their food first then the rest afterwards. They were allowed to have the fruit/veggies but that was it. All bread, snacks, special treats, sandwiches came from home. The parents tried the best they could to have special treats and snacks to not be to different then everyone elses.

It can also cause learning delays which this child had along with physical delays. They have been in special needs class their entire schooling so far-middle school at this time.

Lots of diarehha, blow outs and immunity seemed lower so they seemed to pick alot of sicknesses up. That was the issue though, you never knew if the diarehha was from the celiac or from being sick because of being frequent.

The childs parents I had were the best and did everything they could to maintain normalicy for their child but didn't take it lightly either. They didn't throw it around as an crutch for their child but were very active in finding out everything they could about it. They always kept me up on everything and if there were changes I was the first to know.

Its not just tummy issues and shouldn't be taken as so. There is alot to learn about this and constant updating in literature on it.

Ask for a doctors/nutrionist note confirming this. Let them know unless you have an official diagnosis you won't be able to do all the "extra".
                        Last edited by Country Kids; 05-08-2013, 07:27 AM. Reason: added wording
                        Each day is a fresh start
                        Never look back on regrets
                        Live life to the fullest
                        We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

ask if the child has been tested
                          ask them about cross contamination (if they don't know anything about it, then I wonder if they are doing the new gluten thing)
                          what happens if the child eats some with gluten or wheat
                          what foods would they be bringing

Comment

Originally posted by Greenplasticwateringcans View Post
                            My daughter had the blood test for it which thankfully was positive so she didn't need the biopsy. My Grandmother needed a biopsy and she said it was a terrible experience. Granted she was 65 and already in poor health.
                            Here the blood test is used to screen for antibodies but a final diagnosis is always done with the biopsy.

I don't think they test under 3 here unless there is failure to thrive happening.

Comment

Here the blood test is used to screen for antibodies but a final diagnosis is always done with the biopsy.

I don't think they test under 3 here unless there is failure to thrive happening.
                              The children are 2 and 4. Both have it.

Comment

Working...
                              X