Hourly Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hourly Rates

I had a mom ask me what my hourly rates are today when I picked my son up from school. Well, I never anticipated doing drop in care...so therefore I never figured up hourly rates. How much should I charge for hourly. She asked my part time rate and based on that she said "oh so it should be around $6.oo an hour.... I'm like no way!!! I mean I am desperate but not that desperate. I have no kids so I would be willing to do something like drop in care in the mean while, but not for $6.oo an hour.

oh...she said it would just be for an hour or two a week by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneluckymom View Post
      oh...she said it would just be for an hour or two a week by the way.
      what part of CA are you in?

Comment

I don't offer an hourly rate or break it down for parents who want drop in care, it's $30 for my current clients and I am upping it to $40 hereafter. I don't even tell them I do hourly unless it would be for a parent's night out or something...I haven't had anyone need anything like that but my drop in rates are daily rates

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
          what part of CA are you in?
          Im in southern California..San Bernardino County.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneluckymom View Post
            Im in southern California..San Bernardino County.
            So here is northern cali (near SF) drop in is about $5-12 an hour. It’s a very wide range. It really depends on your area. I no longer offer drop in care, but when I did it was about $7.75 an hour.

I would never take a child as a drop in, unless I knew for a fact that it was going to turn into something more permanent. Drop in care is very hard to do. Often the kids will have a very hard time adapting to an unfamiliar routine and don't adapt well to the DC schedule. I stopped offering for this reason alone.

BUT, because of the economy in the state that it is in, I am finding myself doing all I can to get business. I was actually approached by a mom last week about drop in care and I am considering it, as long as it will become something solid in the future. Or maybe even require that the child comes at least twice a week. Still it’s a risk that the child won’t do well, but right now I am considering taking the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
              So here is northern cali (near SF) drop in is about $5-12 an hour. It’s a very wide range. It really depends on your area. I no longer offer drop in care, but when I did it was about $7.75 an hour.

I would never take a child as a drop in, unless I knew for a fact that it was going to turn into something more permanent. Drop in care is very hard to do. Often the kids will have a very hard time adapting to an unfamiliar routine and don't adapt well to the DC schedule. I stopped offering for this reason alone.

BUT, because of the economy in the state that it is in, I am finding myself doing all I can to get business. I was actually approached by a mom last week about drop in care and I am considering it, as long as it will become something solid in the future. Or maybe even require that the child comes at least twice a week. Still it’s a risk that the child won’t do well, but right now I am considering taking the risk.
              Thanks....I will give it a lot of thought, but your right about the economy and maybe it will bring in some clients my way.

Comment

What do your hourly full time/part time rates break down too? If you're going to offer drop in rates, I would do $5 an hour, but that is here. :: When I babysit once in awhile, I get $7-$10/hour for 1-3 kids because I deserve minimum wage at least. If I had other kids in my care though I feel asking for minimum wage is too much. If you're area is higher and drop in rates are higher as well, I would go for $8 instead of $6 to start and if you get more than 2 people interested then tell the next person $10! ::

Comment

Working...
                X