Swaddling and SIDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swaddling and SIDS

I started a new thread on this because I did not want to hijack the other thread about the 9 month old not sleeping the full nap time.

I don't regularly use swaddling here, but have done it once or twice on the instruction of the parents, and only for babies that were very young. I don't remember specifically, but I'd say not more than 4-5 months old.

I know we have at least two members here who have a lot of information on SIDS and I'm hoping you all can point me in the direction of guidelines as far as swaddling and SIDS.

I did find a couple of places on the web that noted studies that showed that proper swaddling, coupled with placing the infant in the supine position actually reduced the incidence of SIDS.

I'm not the best internet researcher, and I'm hoping our resident gurus can give me some informative links .

Here is one I allow in my daycare. I have used it for multiple babies, as they are used to co sleeping at home and the freedom of not being by anything in a pack n play was too much and they never slept.

Comment

The research basically says the supine position is what saves lives, not swaddling.

There is a much increased risk off death if they manage to get prone (roll) while swaddled.

There is also a higher risk of the infant becoming overheated, raising risk factors as well.

It is against regs here anyway to have ANY blanket in the bed with an infant in childcare, so has no bearing. (footed sleeper recommended)

Here is the link to read the research for yourself, it is interesting...

- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Thanks, I knew I could count on you guys . I have my naptime reading for today .

Comment

The SIDS foundation and the safe sleep campaign are great resources. I would do almost anything to still be in the dark about SIDS. I can't put into words how passionate I am about being as proactive as you can about SIDS. If they came out with research to support sleeping infants in purple polkadot camo you can bet your butt I would. It's such a non discriminatory monster. It knows no boundaries. It can happen ANYWHERE at ANYTIME. I get so angry and frustrated when people choose to practice unsafe sleep habits. Because there ARE things that increase the risks. That we KNOW about. Nothing in crib but baby. No stuffs, bumpers, blankets, pillows form fitting jammies and if absolutely needed a sleep sack with or without a swaddler. Never a blanket, washcloth burprag or soft toy. Never allow them to sleep in a swing or bouncer. Never sleep them in a carseat. Back to sleep in a safe sleep environment. If ONE parent is saved from the turmoil of SIDS, it's worth any extrawork. I can't stress enough how important it is to learn, talk, be open to change.

Comment

Originally posted by laundrymom View Post
            The SIDS foundation and the safe sleep campaign are great resources. I would do almost anything to still be in the dark about SIDS. I can't put into words how passionate I am about being as proactive as you can about SIDS. If they came out with research to support sleeping infants in purple polkadot camo you can bet your butt I would. It's such a non discriminatory monster. It knows no boundaries. It can happen ANYWHERE at ANYTIME. I get so angry and frustrated when people choose to practice unsafe sleep habits. Because there ARE things that increase the risks. That we KNOW about. Nothing in crib but baby. No stuffs, bumpers, blankets, pillows form fitting jammies and if absolutely needed a sleep sack with or without a swaddler. Never a blanket, washcloth burprag or soft toy. Never allow them to sleep in a swing or bouncer. Never sleep them in a carseat. Back to sleep in a safe sleep environment. If ONE parent is saved from the turmoil of SIDS, it's worth any extrawork. I can't stress enough how important it is to learn, talk, be open to change.
            Thank you. This weekend marks the 21st Anniversary of my Sons death from SIDS. It has been a rough week.....
            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
              Thank you. This weekend marks the 21st Anniversary of my sons death from SIDS. It has been a rough week.....
              (((Hugs))) to you, and thank you for sharing your information and expertise. I just wanted to have information on hand in case it comes up with any future daycare families.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
                Thank you. This weekend marks the 21st Anniversary of my Sons death from SIDS. It has been a rough week.....
                Im so sorry for your loss. I'm sending you gentle hugs and loving thoughts. It's just not fair.

Comment

Originally posted by MyAngels View Post
                  (((Hugs))) to you, and thank you for sharing your information and expertise. I just wanted to have information on hand in case it comes up with any future daycare families.
                  Oh, hun...believe me, I understand.

I get it alot, too. I have had families not bring their kids because I refused to put toys and bumpers in their newborns beds.

They want all the cutesy nursery stuff and think it is about my being "cheap"....

I wish they taught it more during pregnancy and the hospital stay.

Comment

Working...
                  X