Wiping Themselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiping Themselves?

How do you approach this topic? I have 2 year olds who wipe themselves when they poop (and quite well!) but 4 year olds who don't. I think it's time they started trying it at least (and I can check), but they definitely aren't going to get wiped in kindergarten next year! Obviously, parents wipe them at home. One girl told me mommy said her arms aren't long enough::.

Anyway, should I just work with the kids on it, without parents. Talk to the parents? These parents baby their kids so much that I think they may protest, or at least not help support at home. I'd love advice. Thanks!

Kids do lots of things at daycare that they don't at home. "Self help" is every bit as much a part of development as language or cognitive, so I believe we have to help children learn these skills... Whether or not they need them at home.

Comment

I would talk to parents. Or,... In reality I would brag on the two yr old wiper to them. I'd be all excited at pick up and tell them how great the 2 year old has done wiping this week. Get a little helpful competition going. Lol

Comment

wiping should be taught when potty training, I let them do it and then I use wet wipes and get anything missed. But at 4, I don't wipe, they should already know how to do it.

Comment

We just wipe till they are ready to take it on. When they grab the wipes and get it then we stay out of it. Until then we just help.
          http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

I completely understand this! I would talk to parents if it's common with older children. I have a five year old who wiped his butt yesterday got poo on his hand and wiped it on the WALL to get it off his finger. Before I noticed the poo on the wall I heard the toilet flush then the bathroom door open without hearing the faucet so I had him go back in and wash his hands He is 5.

I have another 5 year old girl who throws a hissy fit screaming I CAN'T WIPE MY BUTT and it's so loud. If I reassure her enough she can do it no problem. Her usual response is, "I can't cause I'll get poo on my hands" and my response is "You're a big girl and if you accidentally get any on your hands you can wash them right away with soap and water. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Definitely talk to the parents. Maybe choose 3 things that children should be able to accomplish and have books about it. Putting on clothes, putting on shoes, and wiping, etc are good examples of how independence begins at a young age.

Comment

Working...
            X