Please help Diaper rash!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help Diaper rash!!

I really need some help I don't know what to do! I have a 2 yr old child that gets diaper rash when he is away for a couple days then while he is in my care for the week it clears up. Seems as if the parents aren't changing him enough and allowing rash to appear. Usually its just red and blotchy. Today I just about cried as I changed DCB. He has a water like diarhea filled diaper. When I wiped him down I see the usual red rash I have come to expect but now it's worse and bleeding in a couple places!! One spot on his testicles and another by his anus. It's very very red! I called DCM and left a message I have NEVER saw rash so bad that it bleeds! I put cream on and the poor child cries and pulls away. He is walking funny now I assume because of the pain. I think cornstarch would be better than the white generic cream she has in the bag all the time. What should I use? Cornstarch was always my saver but the bleeding has me very worried!! AND should this be reported to CCRR or the state? There are a subsidised family so I have to answer to the state if a problem should arise as they pay me. What should I say to DCM without judging?

My niece one had a similar problem her bum was so bad it was bleeding. For her it had to do with, she was eating to much fruit which made her have to have very frequent and runny bowl movements. It was horrible and she cried every time we changed her. One thing I have used and really seems to work is "BUTTer" its an all natural rash cream. You can google to find out more info if your interested.

As for the mom, maybe talk to her and say "I've noticed ____ has developed a very red and painful rash and its even bleeding in spots. Has he been eating a lot of fruits lately?" Explain that when you change him he is in a lot of discomfort and it concerns you because you hate to see him in pain. Ask her what she thinks you should do as a team. Let her know that you want to help her child and are on the same page as she is. I would also ask her if she has noticed this with her child before.

I hope this helps a bit, and the little boys rash clears up quickly! I cannot imagine how he is feeling. Poor guy.
    Modern Mom

Comment

My son had some kind of bug earlier this year that gave him severe diarrhea for almost 2 weeks! We had gone to the doc., done stool samples (NOT FUN) and every other test and they couldn't figure out what was going on. Anyways, needless to say his bottom was just so raw that it had started to bleed. I felt so bad for him because he would just scream when I changed his bottom. The doctor told me to use paper towels, washcloths, or rinse off the wipes to get the chemicals out (apparantly the chemicals on the wipes irritate the bottom more?). This seemed to help with the diaper changes a bit. They also suggested triple paste, but it's pretty expensive. This worked like a charm! I've also heard of people making their own paste with anti-fungal cream and A & D ointment. Hope this helps and hopefully his poor little bottom heals up soon!

Comment

One of my DCD's pediatrician says to use Bag Balm. I used it on his DCG and it worked great. It cleared it up really well. The DCG's problem was extremely sensitive skin and eating/drinking too much fruit/juice.

Comment

Diarrhea can cause very bad diaper rashes. I would ask that they bring him to the dr. Its very painful for him. Wiping rashes hurts. Usually when this happens I rinse them off in the tub, or have them sit in warm water to rinse off. But then you have to sanitize the tub. But its a pain free way to clean them off. Then air dry their bottom as much as possible before diapering.

He may have a food allergy. Do the parents use different wipes or diapers at home? He may be allergic to something in the wipes, or the diapers. If he has a milk allergy or lactose intolerance, some wipes contain milk based products.

I would ask them to bring the baby into the dr to have the rash checked out. The dr can prescribe something if needed. If they dont bring him in, or dont seem to care, then I would report them for abuse.

Also, keep documentation of the rashes, and your conversations with the parents, just to cover yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by meganlavonnesmommy View Post
            Diarrhea can cause very bad diaper rashes. I would ask that they bring him to the dr. Its very painful for him. Wiping rashes hurts. Usually when this happens I rinse them off in the tub, or have them sit in warm water to rinse off. But then you have to sanitize the tub. But its a pain free way to clean them off. Then air dry their bottom as much as possible before diapering.

He may have a food allergy. Do the parents use different wipes or diapers at home? He may be allergic to something in the wipes, or the diapers. If he has a milk allergy or lactose intolerance, some wipes contain milk based products.

I would ask them to bring the baby into the dr to have the rash checked out. The dr can prescribe something if needed. If they dont bring him in, or dont seem to care, then I would report them for abuse.

Also, keep documentation of the rashes, and your conversations with the parents, just to cover yourself.
            ^ what she said. Those watery BMs are often very acidic (have YOU ever had a bad tummy bug that caused an "issue" like his, and had your rear hurt when you wipe? Now imagine that all over your butt...). Now, I have seen diaper rash so bad it bleeds, from very acidic BMS (illness, teething, etc) or a yeasty infection that gets really bad, etc. I've also seen it from wipe/diaper allergies, so it definitely can happen.

No, I don't think it warrants a call to CPS or anything, unless mom refuses to treat it properly and it continues to get worse. I've heard that Triple Paste works wonders if you want to suggest that to dcm, or a Triple Paste-then-Aquaphor combo.
            Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

How do you know this, and where can you find this info out? What ingredient(s) should be watched out for? My dd is lactose intolerant, and we struggle with wipes. I had no idea. And it seems like it doesn't matter generic or regular, sensitive or scented, different ones at different times seem to affect her differently.

Thanks for any help!
              Give a little love to a child, and you get a great deal back.

Comment

They supply the wipes and diapers, just Walmart brand.

She didn't call back until she was done work today. I asked if she got the message this morning and she said oh yeah the rash? He gets that all the time. I said no it was bleeding this time! She says yeah he has been that way since birth off and on. Well they have been with me for many months now and that is the 1st I saw it. After I used the cream and alternated cornstarch (it was all I had) it cleared up a lot by pick up not as much as usual but a good bit. He was running and playing by afternoon. I really think with him being clear up after a few days with me then a mess again after a couple days with her, it's just neglect to change his soiled diapers. He hadn't been here since Tuesday so this fits the usual routine just in the middle of the week this time. I was very upset that she was so nonchalant about it. I suggested a Dr and she said they know and say just use the cream. I think she lies about a lot of Dr issues.

Thanks everyone for the help!! I will be stocking up on a little of everything here just in case!

Comment

Working...
                X