Documenting Bruising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documenting Bruising

I started a child a month ago and based on a comment during the interview I decided to document the bruises and things on this child. My question I guess is at what point do I need to notify someone? Can I get in trouble for not calling and reporting these if I have them documented?

If you suspect abuse or neglect, you need to call CPS right away. As a child care provider, you are a mandated reporter. If you're asking, you probably already know the answer. You need to make the call. Good luck. I hope everything works out.
    Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

X2

Is this a child who bruises easily? Calmly ask the child where the bruises come from. If you get a bad feeling, make the call as you are a mandated reporter.

I have one that physical contact causes red marks, frequently covered head to toe in bruises.

I took my daughter to the ped with 67 documented bruises when she was 6. Turns out she has a factor IX bleeding disorder, doesn't clot properly. Her son bruises like crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I started a child a month ago and based on a comment during the interview I decided to document the bruises and things on this child. My question I guess is at what point do I need to notify someone? Can I get in trouble for not calling and reporting these if I have them documented?
        You have to go with your gut. Since there was some sort of comment made at interview that convinced you to document, then something's up and you may need to do something about it.

2 year olds usually have bruises - it's just part of life. They usually get a good goose egg on their foreheads just in time for a family portrait. :: It always seems that way.

But seriously, if you're seeing bruises on arms that indicate the child is being man-handled or heavy bruising on the back, buttocks, back of legs it's time to tell someone.

Comment

These are the areas to watch for.

Bruises seen in infants, especially on the face and buttocks, are more suspicious and should be considered nonaccidental until proven otherwise. Injuries to children's upper arms (caused by efforts to defend themselves), the trunk, the front of their thighs, the sides of their faces, their ears and neck, genitalia, stomach, and buttocks are also more likely to be associated with nonaccidental injuries. Injuries to their shins, hips, lower arms, forehead, hands, or the bony prominences (the spine, knees, nose, chin, or elbows) are more likely to signify accidental injury.

Comment

bruises

Just curious, what do you do after calling and reporting the bruises to the proper authorities?

Comment

What did she say during the interview?

Exactly what did she say during the interview?

Comment

Working...
              X