No announcement yet.

What Age do Nightmares Typically Start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Age do Nightmares Typically Start?

I have a 15 month old who has awakened from a nap twice this week (yes, it's tuesday) and he was screaming. He has never done that before. He's waking early, and then SCREAMING!

I yanked him out of his crib today because I was sure something bit him. I tore his bed apart, looked over his whole body, and didn't see anything. But, he was truly hysterical.

So..now, i'm thinking "Nightmares"?

He's got a pretty cushy life, and they don't watch scary tv shows in front of him. He's acting fine otherwise.

Sharing a great article... (I like to keep a gallery of articles to common questions my DCF's ask me in email... It calms them down.

By Deborah Lin-Dyken
    pediatric sleep disorders expert

It's very common for even the best of sleepers to suddenly start having sleep problems, whether that means having a hard time falling asleep at bedtime or abruptly waking up during the night. Your toddler may be having night terrors, which are similar to sleepwalking but are more dramatic. Night terrors are often related to being sleep-deprived.

When your child "wakes up" with a night terror, go in and check on him but don't speak to him or try to soothe him. Your child will resist being comforted and will appear confused and disoriented. Trying to soothe your child will only extend and intensify the sleep terror — even saying his name can make him more upset. Likewise, don't try to vigorously awaken him. He may think you are attacking him. Instead, just let the night terror run its course, and stand nearby to make sure your toddler doesn't hurt himself.

Your little one may also be having bad dreams. Your child's imagination is developing, and that can't help but carry over into his sleeping world. When he wakes up after a nightmare, go in and reassure him. A few moments spent soothing him should do the trick. Stay with him until he falls back to sleep if he asks you to. Don't worry if he doesn't want to talk about the dream. Sometimes nightmares aren't about anything definitive, just a scary feeling.

Other common causes of night-waking in previously good sleepers include illness, separation anxiety or a looming developmental leap. In those cases, there are a couple of things to try, aside from treating the fever or throat or ear pain that's making a sick toddler uncomfortable. First, make sure that your child is getting enough sleep in general. It may seem counterintuitive, but the less sleep your child gets, the more likely he is to have trouble settling down at bedtime and staying asleep through the night. So be consistent about putting him to bed for naps during the day and getting him to bed at a reasonable time in the evening.

When your toddler wakes up during the night, be soothing and calming, but boring. Let him know that everything is okay, but that it's time to sleep. Keep the conversation to a minimum and the lights dim. It may take a few nights or even a few weeks to get back on track, but the closer you stick to his regular sleep routine, the sooner the problem
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Great article. Thanks for posting it!

Comment

My DD started doing that at about 18 months old. Continued until she was 3 1/2. She wouldn't be all the way awake, not hitting or hiding. The only thing we could do it take her into her big sister's room and look for the moon out the window. All the lights off. She'd drink a whole glass of water. Wake up all of the way. And then go back to bed.

I finally figured it she had arousal confusion. She wasn't transitioning between the modes of sleep well. When we switched her to a twin bed at 3 1/2, she was waking up at least twice a night for a few weeks. We had her little sister by then and it was crazy. Dr. said she'd outgrow it. I googled it. Can be caused by being overly hot or getting tangled. She had those jersey knit sheets. Took the top sheet off. Put a small sheet on her and uncovered her feet as soon as she fell asleep. She never woke up crying again.

BTW - nightmares usually occur between 4 and 6 in the morning. Not sure why.

Comment

Originally posted by bice99 View Post

BTW - nightmares usually occur between 4 and 6 in the morning. Not sure why.
          Has to do with where a person is in the sleep cycle, my hubby always wakes up at 3:00 with his nightmares.

Comment

So strange that you posted this yesterday, as 3 yo DD woke up at 6:15 crying and I have to guess that it was a nightmare. All she would say was, "I don't wanna be left alone, mommy, I don't wanna be left alone!" *sniff* just about broke my heart, poor little thing.
            Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Working...
            X