Taking New Children While Looking For New Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mac60 View Post
    Just as a parent knows that a provider can "be done" at any time. I am not saying it is OK, I am just saying that sometimes we have to do what we have to, just like a parent does, and it definately is a situation that could take 3 weeks or 6 months. Again, parents always look out for themselves and never take into consideration of what/how their decisions affect the provider and her family. While families leaving is "part of the territory", so is providers moving on. Just saying.
    ITA with you Mac!

Comment

Maybe you could consider operating as a drop in provider or as a back up to other providers in your area. Maybe you could contact the other providers in your area to let them know that you'd be available as back up if they take time off, etc.

I would definitely not take on new, full-time families if I knew I would be quitting as soon as I found a job.

Comment

I would be madder than a hornet if I interviewed with you and selected you as my child's provider only to find out that you are seeking alternate employment.

This just makes me think a bit more in depth...if you get interviews does that mean that you'd be taking time off from watching the children currently in your care?

If you are seeking alternate employment, I would suggest telling the families currently in your care and I would not advertise for new kids. If you don't have any kids in your care now, I wouldn't start advertising until you have your career chosen. Decide whether its going to be daycare or outside employment.

Comment

I don't think that you need to let the parents in care know that you are looking. I'm sure you have something about termination in your contract--you don't owe them anything beyond following that contract.

JMHO, but not telling current clients that you are looking is TOTALLY different than agreeing to take on a new family when you are actively looking for something else.

Comment

In the end, we are a business, just like every other business, as we are in the "business" to make money. Businesses open and close everyday. Sometimes we have no control over what is happening with our business.

And telling your current families you are looking for other employment is a sure quick way to lose everyone, and you will be left with nothing. Honestly, it is your own personal business that you are looking for another job, it is not the busness of the families. This process could take a few weeks, a few months, or even longer. Not every decision a provider considers with her life is an open book to her families.

Honestly, do you think a family is going to tell you that they are looking for employment so they can stagger husband/wife shifts so they don't have to pay for daycare anymore? Heck no. They will just do it and let you know when it is done.

Do what you have to in order to support your family, continue to look for work, continue to get new kids, as you have absolutely no idea how many weeks/months/years this new idea could take. Then if you find a job, give them your 2 weeks notice or whatever is required. I can't live my life/base my livlihood/base my decisions on my dcfamilies or potential dcfamilies, I have to do what is best for me and my family, just like my dcfamilies base what is best on their families. Hope this all makes sense.

Comment

Working...
            X