If You're Looking For Baby Dolls...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You're Looking For Baby Dolls...

So I've been looking for some new baby dolls to add some diversity to our current stash.

I found this set of 4 at Kaplan. It's $50.95 for the set of 4 but there is free shipping over $50 and then TOYS15 is a 15% off coupon code.

So I just got all 4 with shipping included for $47. Not a bad deal.

So sunflower mamma, can I ask if you have any ideas on how to add some cultural diversity if you live in a place where there is none? I live in a town of 900 people. There are two blacks in the whole town (one is my brother in law,my sis is white) 2 kids who are mixed race (one of those is my nephew) and everyone LITERALLY is white and middle class. Do you have any ideas to share? I would love them to "think bigger" KWIM?

Comment

BOOKS! Lots of books! I'm from a Canadian town with a population of 700, all Caucasian. The kids at my daycare don't see a lot of diversity so I try to talk about things like different cultures and different family situations so when they are confronted by the "real world" they'll be loving, kind, and compassionate. Go to your library and find books with characters from different backgrounds. Or watch movies that deal with race, or the history of another country.

Comment

For us we're pretty lucky because we are outside a large city (Dallas) so our opportunities to attend local cultural festivals, black history and women's museums, concerts, etc. are always available. Sometimes these visits spark conversations about differences and sometimes it's just something fun to experience as a family.

If you are not able to travel to attend similar events you could always get books from the library that discuss other cultures and their practices and traditions so your kids will at least know that there are other people out there that don't look like they do and who participate in other celebrations, holidays, traditions, etc. You could also hold celebrations throughout the year to celebrate and honor some of those different yearly holidays.

You could also add different foods to your menu that reflect different cultures and have discussions with the kids while you're preparing/eating.

I'm sure others may have more advice but that's just a few things that come to mind.

Comment

Thank you so much! didnt mean to hijack your thread but it brought that issue to mind for me. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X