Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Seat And Stroller Question.....

Hi all!

In the fall I need to take my daughter to pre school, so will be transporting all of the kiddos (my two and three others.) My two will stay in their carseats in the middle captains chairs. I will put the other three in the far back row seat.

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan. Two will be rear facing and one forward, I have two one year olds and a three year old that will need to go back there. I would like to purchase the most cost effective seats, since I will be buying three (and a stroller) wondering if you have experience with three in a row, and brand names to recommend (regarding the fit of three in a row.)

Also, I need to purchase a stroller. Quad stroller I think- we will walk if it is nice. My 4 year old can walk and I will push the others. Options are one that has two seats side by side, and then the 1000 dollar runabout. I am not opposed to getting it, and know I will fit in the door better, but wondering if there are other major plusses for that much many. Do any of you have experience to share about quad strollers, specifically the runabout ones? I will never need to put it in a vehicle so that is not a concern.

Thanks!!!

across the board, the ONLY seats that I know for sure that fit 3-across are the $$$$ Sunshine Kids Radians. You can google "3-across _(your van)_" to get more ideas and visit car-seat.org for a forum of knowledgeable folks who can help you. As for other seats, you're going to need to know the dimensions of the back bench seat and then look at the width of various seats--look for the ones that are the narrowest, and do the math to see if they will fit.

re:stroller, why a quad? what's wrong with a double for the 1 yos and the 3 and 4 yos walking?
    Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Thanks. Will google it.

I want the quad for a few reasons. One, I plan to do this awhile, and do not know the age of my future DCK's, so if the three year old were to leave for whatever reason and I got a nerwborn, I would need a quad. My 4 year old can walk, but I have 2 one year olds and a just two, plus the 3 year old.

Also, I do not do field trips and am not very comfortable taking them all out- I will need to cross a busy street, and do not feel 100% certain about the skills of the 3 year old who is not mine to listen and not run etc, so it is a safety concern for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mom_of_two View Post
        Thanks. Will google it.

I want the quad for a few reasons. One, I plan to do this awhile, and do not know the age of my future DCK's, so if the three year old were to leave for whatever reason and I got a nerwborn, I would need a quad. My 4 year old can walk, but I have 2 one year olds and a just two, plus the 3 year old.

Also, I do not do field trips and am not very comfortable taking them all out- I will need to cross a busy street, and do not feel 100% certain about the skills of the 3 year old who is not mine to listen and not run etc, so it is a safety concern for me.
        ah, gotcha. That makes sense.
        Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Thanks- I know I *could* just work with 3 year old and hope for the best but safety isn't worth the risk...whatever I can do to make my life easier I am gonna do with this-.

Anyone?? Stroller input??

Comment

I have the Foundations Quad stroller and like it. It is really heavy to push, but I wasn't going to spend 1000 on the runabout and this was really the only other choice. I wanted the ABC Adventure Buggy Quad, but it was too expensive too.

With the Foundation Quad, the worst part is that you have to squeeze a bar the entire time you are pushing the stroller. If you let go of the bar, the wheels lock. It's really hard to push this way, so I disabled this feature. It still has the ability to lock the wheels like a regular stroller, so I do that when we stop.

As for the carseats, go to car-seat.org like the pp said. You'll get lots of specific advice for your car and situation.

Comment

Thank you, lperry!!

ETA- can you get that stroller through doorways? (Church/school)? Thanks.
              Last edited by Mom_of_two; 07-13-2011, 08:10 AM. Reason: Question

Comment

Quads are way more than tripples. Can you buy a tripple and just use these for the older walking kids:

Read this thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ht=tot-a-longs

and click on my link: http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...lbumid=7213977

You can see in this album how I place the tot-a-longs on the kids and the stroller.

This is a Jmason tripple stroller. They don't make them anymore but if you can find a used one you will love it. They are built like a tank and easy to push.
                http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Thank you, lperry!!

ETA- can you get that stroller through doorways? (Church/school)? Thanks.
                  I was worried about that too! I have never had a problem in public place even if is just a single door. I can't fit it through the door of my house though.

Comment

Nanny- thank you!! I think I am leaning toward doing that. Have never seen the little straps before- that is good! Then they can learn but still safer.With a triple at least I can keep it forever- I will only take 3 kids, even when mine are in school, so it works. And I own a double (and single) already.

Lperry-thanks.

Comment

Also, NannyDe, love your website! I am also very specific about policies and families, as are a lot of you. My parents are both from Des Moines -have spent a lot of holidays there.

ETA- what is the age range you use the arm strap things with? Thanks.

Comment

Also, NannyDe, love your website! I am also very specific about policies and families, as are a lot of you. My parents are both from Des Moines -have spent a lot of holidays there.
                        Aw thanks

Des Moines is a great town. Nice place to raise a kid that's for sure.

The weather.......... NOT so great.

Here's me in June, July, August, September, and the first couple of weeks of October
                        http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

I dont have any experience with strollers. But I used this when I had a group of 2-3 year olds. It worked great!

Perfect for field trips or just walking down the hall, our ingenious walking rope makes it easy to travel with the whole class! The 10 colorful rings are made of soft stuffed vinyl that’s easy for kids to hold and a cinch to wipe clean. Plus, each extra-sturdy ring is big enough for 2 children to grasp—so you can walk with up to 20 kids at a time! The 15' rope comes in a handy tote.

They also have this, which would work better for kids that want to run.

Comment

Thanks for the links!! I have 3 little ones so do need a stroller. But good to keep in mind for the future!

Comment

I'm having a carseat issue too. I'm having trouble finding carseats to fit 3 in a row in the 3rd row of my Toyota Sienna because it's not as wide as the 2nd row and because the seat-belt for the middle seat in the 3rd row comes down from above and a little behind the seat itself (roof area). I looked on carseat forum and it looks like I'll be dishing out $260 ea for the Britax Decathlon . I'll have to do it one by one I suppose and just start replacing my carseats as I get the new ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X