15m Old Won't Drink From Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15m Old Won't Drink From Cup

HI. I know someone else had this issue awhile back, but I couldn't find the thread. I have a 15m old that only uses a cup, except they won't drink from it unless I hold it for them. This has been going on since they were about 10 months old. I thought it would run it's course, but it still the same.

My thoughts are to just give them the cup and let them take it when ready, but the weather is so hot that I don't want them to overheat and dehydrate.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this or should I just let them keep taking the cup from me? Never had this happen in the 19 yrs I've done this:confused:

One more thing--just to vent TGIF,TGIF,TGIF. My kiddos have been sooooo craby today. Hasn't been this crazy in awhile. Guess we were due for a day like this. LOL. Oh boy.

you mean an actual cup or a sippy cup? I don't have the time to help such a young one with every drink they take during the day. I would just let them drink water outside where it doesn't matter if they spill or get wet OR give them a sippy inside and wait it out and let them drink when they are ready.

Comment

Ditto here too. If it's an open cup you're talking about Id give a sippy cup. If she won't even drink out of a sippy cup then I'd just help her hold the sippy. You know, give it to her to hold and tilt it with a finger or something to help her get the idea but not actually hold the cup for her. In the heat I'd be more willing to help more but not actually hold the cup and if we were inside I'd only help her tilt a little and use verbal cues.

"are you thirsty? There's your cup". Etc.

Comment

I'll try the holding it only with my finger or something. It's a sippy cup. They just scream at me when I don't actually hold it for them?? idk, I hope it's a short phase

Comment

was the child holding his own bottle even part of the time, back when drank from bottle?

If not then it is possible that the child need to be taught to hold the cup. I would try holding the child's hands on the cup.

Comment

what kind of bottle and nipple was the baby on before switching... specifically
            http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Is it possible that mom and dad are still giving the bottle at home? if not, they are probably still helping with every sip and kiddo has not had to learn on their own yet. I have kids as young as 9mo. using a sippy so 15mo. is plenty old enough as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Working...
              X