Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Needed With 3YO Who Says The Same Thing Every Five Minutes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree. This could be lots of things. Not knowing the child my first thoughts would be that this behavior is a way she copes with her anxiety. It appears to be controlling and if it is, most likely it could be the child dealing with the feelings of uncertainty. Children need to feel they have some control, especially when they are feeling anxious. Not sure I see this as a control thing though, maybe she just needs some reassruance now and again??

I also agree there are many ways that this could be dealt with, depending on the cause, not all things should be treated from the symptom backwards.

**I have a child with a developmental disability and clinical anxiety, compassion and understanding have been two of the most important things for his progress.

Comment

i still think it has to do more with the fact that she's 3 years old, it's her first daycare, and she misses her grandma! and way less to do with "delays, anxiety, etc."

three years old is pretty dang old to start daycare. i used to work with nothing but two year olds and it was ROUGH when a two year old started daycare for the first time. typically, they would do nothing but cry all day long for the first week or two. this kid is 3 so she's had a whole extra year to get attached to her grandma and probably not socialize with anyone...and now it's off to daycare so she can get "used to other kids" before school starts. it's the stupidest thing i've ever heard. i know people have a hard time letting go of their "babies" but i think it's a huge disservice to them because of scenarios like this one. my sister just had her first kid and of course is trying to be the perfect mom. she stays at home with her son and they barely leave the house. that kid gets upset when there are kids around playing and being loud bc he doesn't know how to handle anything other than a quiet house with his mom. this girl doesn't know how to handle anything other than talking to (and NOW: about) her grandma. JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by QualiTcare View Post
        i still think it has to do more with the fact that she's 3 years old, it's her first daycare, and she misses her grandma! and way less to do with "delays, anxiety, etc."

three years old is pretty dang old to start daycare. i used to work with nothing but two year olds and it was ROUGH when a two year old started daycare for the first time. typically, they would do nothing but cry all day long for the first week or two. this kid is 3 so she's had a whole extra year to get attached to her grandma and probably not socialize with anyone...and now it's off to daycare so she can get "used to other kids" before school starts. it's the stupidest thing i've ever heard. i know people have a hard time letting go of their "babies" but i think it's a huge disservice to them because of scenarios like this one. my sister just had her first kid and of course is trying to be the perfect mom. she stays at home with her son and they barely leave the house. that kid gets upset when there are kids around playing and being loud bc he doesn't know how to handle anything other than a quiet house with his mom. this girl doesn't know how to handle anything other than talking to (and NOW: about) her grandma. JMO.
        Couldn't agree more. I think some above are reading waaayyy too much into this.

Comment

:confused:
          Originally posted by QualiTcare View Post

three years old is pretty dang old to start daycare. i used to work with nothing but two year olds and it was ROUGH when a two year old started daycare for the first time. typically, they would do nothing but cry all day long for the first week or two. this kid is 3 so she's had a whole extra year to get attached to her grandma and probably not socialize with anyone...and now it's off to daycare so she can get "used to other kids" before school starts. it's the stupidest thing i've ever heard. i know people have a hard time letting go of their "babies" but i think it's a huge disservice to them because of scenarios like this one. my sister just had her first kid and of course is trying to be the perfect mom. she stays at home with her son and they barely leave the house. that kid gets upset when there are kids around playing and being loud bc he
          doesn't know how to handle anything other than a quiet house with his mom. this girl doesn't know how to handle
          anything other than talking to (and NOW: about) her grandma. JMO.

I agree.

Either stay home with your kid until preschool or kinder or send him to daycare at a younger age than 3. If you start daycare at 3 be prepared for some little quirks like this.

Comment

She will be four in a couple of weeks. She has been at daycare for quite a few months now and it's just as annoying now as it was a long time ago, . People ask "Does she ever get to see her grandma?"

Today I tried "Go Play" "Go Clean" "Sit Down and Eat" etc. When she is told to help pickup or join the group she is rude and continues to talk over you. Tomorrow I'm going to start addressing Being Nice and Listening because it's not going to work if she will not listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
              She will be four in a couple of weeks. She has been at daycare for quite a few months now and it's just as annoying now as it was a long time ago, . People ask "Does she ever get to see her grandma?"

Today I tried "Go Play" "Go Clean" "Sit Down and Eat" etc. When she is told to help pickup or join the group she is rude and continues to talk over you. Tomorrow I'm going to start addressing Being Nice and Listening because it's not going to work if she will not listen.
              3 months is what you said in your OP. that's really not THAT long for a kid who is 3...and actually almost 4. that means she went to her first daycare at 3.5 and spent those first years with grandma. i can see that it might be annoying for you. i'm just saying i don't think it's anything that profound other than she stayed up her grandma's butt for her entire life and is still adjusting to the "real world."

Comment

Working...
              X