When A Check Bounces...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When A Check Bounces...

Do you wait to get the check in the mail before you confront the parent? I can see online today that a check bounced and I know which parent it is only because of the amount (they pay for 2 weeks instead of 1 week). However, I don't have the bounced check in hand yet (hopefully tomorrow or Thursday...banks are so slow. I deposited this check on Wednesday!!)

Would you wait until you had the evidence in hand? That's an extra day I don't have the money though.

I would indicate to the parents that the check was returned and that cash is due tomorrow plus whatever your returned check fee is.

Upon receipt of cash ask them if they would like their check returned or shredded. If they want it back, provide it when you get it back.

If you wait for the check to come back, you might be in an entire week and you just provided it for free. They have the weekend to find someone else and not pay you a dime.

Pay cash tomorrow at drop off or no daycare for you!

Comment

I agree that it's an extra day you don't have the money but I like to have the bounced stub in my hand so I can point out the bounced check fee, etc. It's just a lot cleaner, ya know? Sorry you have to endure the inconvenience ...most parents are pretty mortified and correct the situation hastily!

Comment

Originally posted by TBird View Post
        I agree that it's an extra day you don't have the money but I like to have the bounced stub in my hand so I can point out the bounced check fee, etc. It's just a lot cleaner, ya know? Sorry you have to endure the inconvenience ...most parents are pretty mortified and correct the situation hastily!
        I feel the same way. It's easier to show them the check than saying "I saw it online....". Especially because obviously they do not check their accounts and will probably act clueless about it. It's their first bounced check so I'm trying not to be too harsh on them.

Comment

Does your bank have to option of printing off a scanned copy of the bounced check?

In the past I printed it off and had the parent bring cash + $35.00 (my banks fee) before they were allowed to attend.

I did NOT discount the days they were excluded until they could pay me in cash.

I no longer accept checks, JFYI. Cash or Online Payment only (free with MMK), now. I am so much happier and have virtually NO payment issues.
          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by newtodaycare22 View Post
            I feel the same way. It's easier to show them the check than saying "I saw it online....". Especially because obviously they do not check their accounts and will probably act clueless about it. It's their first bounced check so I'm trying not to be too harsh on them.
            I wouldn't accept any more checks than. Once it happens, it'll continue to happen. It's a parents way of paying when they want to rather than when payment is due.

Comment

Besides charging the return check fee I also charge a late fee from the date that the check was written. The bill is technically not paid so the payment is considered late. After one bad check I only accept cash or money order too.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
                Does your bank have to option of printing off a scanned copy of the bounced check?

In the past I printed it off and had the parent bring cash + $35.00 (my banks fee) before they were allowed to attend.

I did NOT discount the days they were excluded until they could pay me in cash.

I no longer accept checks, JFYI. Cash or Online Payment only (free with MMK), now. I am so much happier and have virtually NO payment issues.
                My MMK shows a dollar fee per transaction.

Comment

Originally posted by newtodaycare22 View Post
                  My MMK shows a dollar fee per transaction.
                  Well...um, yeah... I kind of raised my rates $5 a week to cover that cost and the cost of the new State required infant hand washing regulations (warm running water, disposable towels only, no gels/wipes ).

Still better than the constant overdrafts of my business account. Sometimes the bounced checks would not show up until several days after the money was spent. Then with the constant re-ordering by my former crooked bank my stress level was through the roof.
                  - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
                    Well...um, yeah... I kind of raised my rates $5 a week to cover that cost and the cost of the new State required infant hand washing regulations (warm running water, disposable towels only, no gels/wipes ).

Still better than the constant overdrafts of my business account. Sometimes the bounced checks would not show up until several days after the money was spent. Then with the constant re-ordering by my former crooked bank my stress level was through the roof.
                    I see a 3.00 returned check fee though...I guess that means they tell you to withdraw the money but it's not there? Still, 3.00 is better than 10 or 30 from the banks!

Comment

When I had a client bounce a check, I printed out my bank statement from online and showed them that it bounced. The thing is they know when it bounces, I don't think you really need proof.

I would show them right away at pick up and tell them that the kid cannot come back until the all fees have been paid pronto!

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                        When I had a client bounce a check, I printed out my bank statement from online and showed them that it bounced. The thing is they know when it bounces, I don't think you really need proof.

I would show them right away at pick up and tell them that the kid cannot come back until the all fees have been paid pronto!
                        My bank charges $25.00 per overdraft check. I charge $30.00 in my contract, to make sure everything is covered, there is also take on this as well. Another thing I added about 4 yrs. ago is- If any of our checks bounce, because of yours bouncing, you are responsible for their fees as well.
                        About 4 yrs. ago, I had a family, that bounced a check, and they wouldn't return my call about it. It was for 2 children($250.00), plus overdraft fee. I called and called them on a Sat. when we had it returned in the mail to us. I would call phone and both cell #'s, they knew about this, and were both ignoring my phone calls. Then that evening, about 9:00 pm, I reminded them what was in the contract, about our checks bouncing because of theirs, they instantly called back, and brought over all the cash that was owed. They were on a cash only basis from then on out.

Comment

be careful with your wording about child cannot come back until paid in full and up to date. some parents may take that as a free way out.

Comment

Some great Bounced Check Letter examples here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15631

Comment

Originally posted by dEHmom View Post
                              be careful with your wording about child cannot come back until paid in full and up to date. some parents may take that as a free way out.
                              well it wont be free, as you will follow it up in court, but it will be a pain to have to go that route and through all the process.....

Comment

Working...
                              X