Potential New DCB with Downs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential New DCB with Downs?

I'm about to interview a family whose ds (about 12 mos, I think) has Downs Syndrome. I've only ever worked with one other little boy with Downs and he was the most happy, easy going kid I have ever known. On first glance, I'm thinking, "Sure! No problem!"

However, since I haven't had a lot of experience with it, is there anything I should know before accepting the family? Has anybody else had a child with Downs in a home daycare situation before? If so, how was it for the child and for the other children, and are there any special accommodations or anything else that needs to be in place?
    www.WelcomeToTheZoo.ca

If he can function with the rest of the group, it should be fine.

I would discuss with his parents what a typical day is like If he eats and sleeps and plays, and doesn't have a rage problem. I don't see it being too difficult.

Good luck!

Comment

I would ask about Early Intervention and if his therapists would need to come to your home. That could be an interruption.

Comment

I had a downs dcg and she was 9.... very difficult!
        the age of this baby seems like it should be easy. these kids are very sweet and lovable and then very unpredictable when they are older.
        sometimes they have medical issues so ask for a pre admission health history.

Comment

Thanks for all of the great advice! Therapists and getting a med. history are things I never would have thought of.

The interview is tomorrow evening, so I'll be sure to ask about those things.

Thanks again
          www.WelcomeToTheZoo.ca

Comment

we have one and he cant walk very well so he needs a stroller

Comment

Working...
            X