Toboggans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toboggans?

I need to find a solution for this deep snow as soon as I can! The snow is about 1 - 1.5 feet deep, and I need to move 3-4 toddlers through it. One can walk if necessary, but today I was carrying her. My wagons and strollers will not make it through the snow, and the sled I have right now is too tippy. The edges are only about 4" high, and the kids are sliding right out.

I just found out I'll be needing to go to the afternoon bus, in addition to the morning, so I need something asap. What do you guys use to move lots of kids through the deep snow?
    www.WelcomeToTheZoo.ca

Oh my gosh!

Wow. That is quite a problem! I wish I could help, but we dont get that much snow here usually and if we did I don't ever take the kids out. You must have some good winter gear.

Comment

I wish I could help, I have my school agers walk here from the bus stop. I just watch from the door.

Comment

Can you snowblow a path to the bus stop? or at least to the sidewalk?

Comment

or,... how about an inflatable 2 man boat? the sides are deep, it slides on snlw and if your path is wide enough?????

Comment

Is it quite a ways that you have to walk with your children? Aren't the sidewalks all clear for you to walk thru?
            I feel sorry for you!! I know how much it can snow being from Iowa myself.

Comment

The sidewalks aren't cleared. In my subdivision, it's up to each homeowner to clear their own, and they haven't. I can't blame them though, because I haven't had the time to clear mine either! Doing the driveway this morning was enough for me!

I do like the inflatable raft idea though, as funny as it sounds! I'll have to look into that. It would be far more stable and it wouldn't sink into the snow as much. Thanks for the suggestion!
              www.WelcomeToTheZoo.ca

Comment

Dbug- where are you from? What state? Do you get lots of snow? Is there an ordinance in your city for snow removal within 24 hrs. or 36 hrs. We have that where I am from.

Comment

Originally posted by DBug View Post
                  The sidewalks aren't cleared. In my subdivision, it's up to each homeowner to clear their own, and they haven't. I can't blame them though, because I haven't had the time to clear mine either! Doing the driveway this morning was enough for me!

I do like the inflatable raft idea though, as funny as it sounds! I'll have to look into that. It would be far more stable and it wouldn't sink into the snow as much. Thanks for the suggestion!
                  I LOVE my 2 man boat. I got it for 5 dollars at a yard sale, Ive carted it to the campgrounds, filled it with water and used it as an inflatable kiddie pool, Ive filled it with ice and water for a huge cooler one very packed memorial day weekend, We made it into a ball pit, a huge pool toy, We have sledded with it, used it for a lounger, sunbathed in it. oh yeah,.. and once we used it as a boat.

Comment

Call the city, I'm sure that there are regulations regarding clearing the snow. If it isn't too far and you don't want to call the city you might have to clear them yourself to get the kids to the bus stop!

Comment

DBug's IP shows Toronto.

Comment

I am in Ontario, near Barrie (north of Toronto). Typically we do have sidewalks cleared by the town, but we're in a new area that hasn't been assumed by the town yet. So, each person is responsible for their own sidewalk. The bus stop is down the street and around the corner (closer than it used to be, but not close enough for me to watch the school-agers from the house). I spent the summer/fall talking to the bus company and school about putting the stop at my driveway, but they didn't want to do it because the road isn't assumed ... go figure.

But, I've found a 4-seater toboggan to use this morning. We'll see how it goes!
                        www.WelcomeToTheZoo.ca

Comment

I expect your community requires sidewalks to be shoveled. Mine does & I can be ticketed if its not done- a quick call downtown should get those lazy bums moving . Many a time I've had to shovel in the dark under streetlights with a baby monitor in my pocket while my hubby was overseas, trying to get done before kids arrived for daycare or my baby woke up. Here in MN we have tons of snow, but fortunately I keep my sidewalk by the house done, and paths to each door, and I'm right across the street from the school, so the preschool bus picks up/drops off at my door. That said, the toboggan/inflateable raft both sound feasible, but if its a long ways and you have little ones it can be quite cold and a hassle. God bless for trying to get kids to preschool in that mess
                          Last edited by Michael; 01-05-2010, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X