There is no job more important than ours,
    no job anywhere else in the land.
    We are the keepers of the future;
    we hold the smallest of hands.
    Into our care we are trusted
    to nurture and care for the young,
    and for all of our everyday heroics,
    our talents and skills go unsung.
    We wipe tears from the eyes of the injured.
    We rock babies brand new in our arms.
    We encourage the shy and unsure child.
    We make sure they are safe from all harm.
    We foster the bonds of friendships,
    letting no child go away mad.
    We respect and we honor their emotions.
    We give hugs to each child when they're sad.
    We have more impact than does a professor,
    a child's mind is molded by four;
    so whatever we lay on the table
    is whatever that child will explore.
    Give each child the tools for adventure,
    let them be artists and writers and more;
    let them fly in the wind and dance on the stars
    and build castles of sand on the shore.
    It is true that we don't make much money
    And we don't get a whole lot of praise,
    But when one small child says, "I love you,"
    we're reminded of how this job pays.

Hang in there! HUGS!

Comment

Originally posted by MamaBear View Post
      Last night I find out that now I have a Herpangina outbreak in my daycare which is really not helping my mood for doing daycare. Arghhhh
      I dont know your entire story but I was thinking this;

Create VERY strict illness policy and stick to it. If you catch them in a lie, call them on it. (Have a reputable website for childrens health that you can check for quick reference when the kid develops symptoms.)

I also feel like I dont get enough time with my own children. I only have 2 FT kids and 2 PT kids. I make just enough to make ends meet. Right now I wont take on anymore kids.

If you can, I would cut down. Perhaps, like someone might have already said, advertise for an older baby.

Comment

I understand how you feel, I felt the same way so I did quit and honestly it was the best thing I did. I wasnt in to daycare anymore and I was miserable. My kids were miserable and wanted their house back.

I found a job that was extremely flexible and paid well. If your heart is not in daycare my advice for what its worth, is to quit. I get to spend time with my kids and go to all their school functions. I dont have to deal with the lying of parents or the disrespect from parents anymore it is wonderful.

BUT there are down sides and I think they are important to remember when you are in a funk from daycare. I get home at 5 and still have to make dinner, I deal with adults acting like children which some days is worst than a screaming infant, but for me it is better dealing with those few bad things compared to what I was dealing with running a daycare.

Make a pro and con list and which ever has less cons, I think that is your answer. Hugs to you, you are not alone and its okay to quit, I know its such a hard decision, but if you feel its right in your heart it will all work out

Comment

in my state it is not even legal to have that many kids of that age.

Comment

i know how u feel...

Im registered, but I logged out for privacy reasons.

I don't want to quit daycare, but I DO want to quit center care. I love kids and I like doing daycare but I want to do it with some kind of balance and structure. 95% of the problems I encounter throughout the day and throughout the time I've been on the job...are direct results of how our center is set up and operates.

Policies are constantly ignored, overriden, and bended by and for parents.

Parents never pay on time or sometimes not all. Some parents owe hundreds of dollars, but are still allowed to send their kids because they are state pay clients.

There is not enough staff. We work unpaid overtime daily. Some days I can't even go to the bathroom until I get off. There is no cook, custodian, or receptionist. Me and the other lead staff member have to do almost everything.

I have to deal with children with behavior problems on a daily basis, and the parents could care less.

Children who are ill are doped up and sent anyway. When we call a parent to pick up a sick child, they show up at their regular pick-up time.

Sometimes I get so discouraged...some days I am barely there and I have to force myself to interact with my kids. It shouldn't be this way, and unfortunately I need this job to pay my bills. I am certified in a lot of daycare-related things, I'm 1/3 of the way through my CDA and I have almost 5 years experience in this...so this is probably what Im going to do for the next several years...but I can't stay where I am much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              in my state it is not even legal to have that many kids of that age.
              Wow...where do you live?! I have 16 day care kids and I'm fully legal and licensed!

Comment

Yes!

I sometimes want to walk out the door (so to speak) and not come back. It's a trying job. The kids, the parents, life in general. It's a lot to take in at times. I think it's normal at some point to be 'over it'.

Comment

I truly wonder what the burn out rate is for daycare providers. I have had 3 families that have quit their jobs, in order to stay at home with their children, and save money, and all started providing daycare for families. All 3 have gone back to the work force!! One it didn't take long at all, maybe 6 months, the other about a yr. and the other about 1 1/2!!
                  Times have changed even in the last 10 yrs.
                  When I brought my oldest and my middle child to daycare. I was so respectful to her and her family. I would have never dreamed to treat her or anyone else disrespectful!! We always picked them up right away after work. I would have never brought my children, when I was off on vac. etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by momma2girls View Post
                    I truly wonder what the burn out rate is for daycare providers. I have had 3 families that have quit their jobs, in order to stay at home with their children, and save money, and all started providing daycare for families. All 3 have gone back to the work force!! One it didn't take long at all, maybe 6 months, the other about a yr. and the other about 1 1/2!!
                    They may have only lasted six to eighteen months but multiply them times the hundreds of thousands of women who have done and currently are doing their six to eighteen months.

They ARE the daycare providers of today. They are the most highly sought after child care workers.... imho.

I think there are a heckuva lot more of them then there are of us. A LOT more.
                    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                      They may have only lasted six to eighteen months but multiply them times the hundreds of thousands of women who have done and currently are doing their six to eighteen months.

They ARE the daycare providers of today. They are the most highly sought after child care workers.... imho.

I think there are a heckuva lot more of them then there are of us. A LOT more.
                      I was one of them! I was laid off from a large corporation due to a reorg and my son was 11 months old. My husband was a police officer and lots of the other officers families were looking for sporadic care w/someone they knew. I'm still at it 7 years later and I enjoy the drop-in care niche that I provide. Sure I have a few fulltimers but keep a roster of kids that come once a year to once a week. I end up making more than if I had 8 fulltimers. If I don't have anyone scheduled, I'm closed. If I look at my calendar ahead and it looks bare I call upon providers in my network to see if they have upcoming vacation time.

I agree Nan...the town I live in is saturated with stay-at-home moms turned child care providers. So I adapted.

Comment

I am right there with ya! Burned out! What has helped though is..I lost 2 girls as a result of the mom quitting work to spend more time with kids ( which is awesome! ) the lighter load helps alot! I was informed Friday I am losing another girl because the father has to quit work since a)he can't afford my rates for his one enrolled child as well as his 2 school age kids b) I refuse to remain open till 7 pm for them. I am now only caring for 2 boys in addition to my own children, I'm super excited! And the cherry on top... Those 2 remaining boys are going to 3 days a week!!
                        The loss Of income makes me crazy nervous, but we will make it.we always do!
                        Anyhow, in my rambling...I'm tryin to say, I think scaling back to the minimum might be just the ticket!
                        Last edited by Michael; 05-23-2011, 11:05 PM.

Comment

I know exactly how you feel. I gave my daycare families notice that I am moving, I thought about doing daycare again when I move but most likely I will get a job, I've noticed my kids aren't as happy as they used to be and I just want my house to be MINE.

Who knows after working awhile maybe I will get into it again, but I am definately feeling burned out from doing home daycare.

Comment

I just started and it's seriously the hardest job I've ever had. I hate taking time away from my own son and I hate having to clean the house every night. If I could quit I feel like I'd let the house stay dirty for weeks on purpose. It sucks having total strangers waltz though your house and comment on stuff. I have great DCP so far too. DH won't let me quit, but I want to.

Comment

advice

So I ve babysat for about 3 years now and I started this so I could stay home with my 2 kids. Now I really would like to work outside the home, I'm so distracted with the dck that I have no time for my kids in my own home. I'm so scared to tell the parents because we've become so close. Any advice?

Comment

I'm not burnt out but my enrollment is so low right now that I cannot continue on with this income. Dh just doesn't make enough to supplement what I don't.

I just don't think this is the field for me because I cannot handle being down and out like this. And I know it won't be the last time.

Comment

Working...
                                X