Just Curious...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 weeks.

Just kidding! It's Friday and I never drink caffeine....but just had a 64oz Dew. WHHHEEEEEE!!!!!!!! LOL::::

I think it depends on the back yard etc. How secure and how well baby proofed. Also depends on the child and how independant they are. Can people see in the yard? Can people talk through the fence (not good) Lots of criteria to be met depending on the surroundings.

If the yard is a very private, secure, all grass "playyard" then a small toddler would have a blast exploring. If the yard is more open, has a gate, flowerbeds, rockery etc......much older before being allowed out alone.

This sounds crazy....but get down to child level and see how the yard looks at that level. You'd be amazed at how different it looks and what different things you'll see.

Comment

My own kids were allowed out back at about 2. Out front, I started letting them be out there alone at about 5, but they had to stay in our yard or our neighbor's where I could see them at all times from the living room.

Comment

I let my 2.5 yr old DD out in the backyard by herself. I leave the backdoor open so that I can hear what is going on, and check on her every few minutes. We have a 6 foot privacy fence, and our dog out there with her for protection

My 7.5 yr old DD is allowed to walk around our block. We know most of the people around the block (gotten to know them since living here), and most are elderly and tend to watch what is going on out their front windows. I do worry about her out there alone, but she knows not to go with anyone, and that she is not allowed to go into any of our neighbour's houses, even if they invite her in, without coming home and asking me. DH and I have been talking about letting her walk down to our neighbourhood park (2 blocks away) this summer, that has a free, daily summer drop-in program for kids ages 6-12 from 9am-5pm everyday, all summer.

We have decided that we will probably never feel totally comfortable with her leaving our sight, but at some point we have to let her. She wants to start riding her bike around the neighbourhood too. I liked it better when she was a drooling, immobile baby

Comment

So many views - of course the are & neighbors do make a HUGE difference

The neighborhood my oldest grew up in is far different from the one we have now..mind you we have not moved LOL Newer neighbors and people now doing 80 through stop signs etc. not to mention the sickos not so far away. We are in a school district so where do you think the nut cases would go??

I spoke with my husband about it and he can connect the monitors either to our spare lap top or to the TV which ever I prefer. With the security system I can see the entire perimeters of our property. Therefore while the DC kids are napping, the girls can play out doors without me having panic attacks every so often.

Thank you all for your insight on this. I am sure the girls will be excited to know that they will be able to play out doors when I am not able to take them out

Comment

Working...
          X