Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Live and Learn View Post
    Crystal,

This child does not have a special need in the legal "disabilities" sense.

He is not WELL enough to participate fully in the daycare setting.

I provide care to well children only.
    Yes this is an important part. There's little help out there to evaluate whether a child is truly disabled and if the disability laws apply. The natural inclination of parents, licensors, and doctors is that we just DO. That's an easy leap to make because it means someone ELSE has to take it on.

Once the same child is presented to the government for disability checks and insurance then all of a sudden it's a BIG long process. When presenting this child to the school system it's a big long process.

VERY often the COST of the child's care is actually HIGHER for the provider than the cost would be to a school or the governement when you look at her small income and her small population.

In this case the child has just seen an ER doctor in a crisis care unit for this diagnosis. That single trip to the ER would NEVER qualify the child to receive special needs services in a school setting or to receive cash and insurance subisidy for disabled children.

We are not required to assume this child qualifies as a disabled child and provide free medical care and medical services (consultation, training, conferencing) for the child. It may be that he is simply temporarily acutely ill at this time and this is something the parents need to completely manage as all parents have to do. It may not have anything whatsoever to do with a disability or child care.

The provider has to decide this for herself. If his care is not related at all to the disability act she has the right to refuse to provide services at times when the child needs the service. If his care IS covered by the disability act then she has to decide if the services he needs can be supported by her client base as not to substantially alter her program and pose an undo burden on her and her family.
    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Just adding my 2 cents.. I Have a child that requires a neb treatment 3x a day.its NOT that hard nor does it take upmorw of my time. I don't charge more either.not everything needs a dollar sign attached. Kiddos for educating yourself . U will find its not a a big a deal as some think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Live and Learn View Post
        Crystal,

This child does not have a special need in the legal "disabilities" sense.

He is not WELL enough to participate fully in the daycare setting.

I provide care to well children only.

Just because a family shows up on my daycare's doorstep with breathing issues doesn't mean I should be expected to
        take them into my care.

....and just for the record I have two children in my daycare with ACTUAL special needs. Nothing that prevents them from
        BREATHING though.

In my own circle of friends and neighbors I would say the vast majority of families have one parent who stays home with their own children.....at least until junior high.
        The disabilty act is irrelevant to me, because I wouldn't keep him because of that, I'd keep him because I loved him. But, I consider any need that requires additional care/services a special need. A child doesn't have to have a major disabilty to have a special need.

I agree, you shouldn't be "expected" to care for him. It certainly is your right not to care for him.

In case you did not notice, I was not in any way being offensive to you or defensive of what you said. In fact, I stated "I do think it is important for the provider to be realistic about wether or not they can handle such special needs, and for most I'd say it would be manageable. However, I do find it commendable when a provider is willing to admit that they cannot meet those needs and bows out.

That's great that the "vast majority" of YOUR "circle of friends" has a parent who is able to stay home with them.....but that's not reality for all families and would certainly cause a major issue for providers if it were true for all families.

Comment

I'd like to add that, if the child's condition is managed, he WILL be well enough to fully particpate. Not sure WHY that keeps getting mentioned. Clearly he is not well enough NOW, but since he now has a diagnosis and a treatment plan, he WILL be able to particpate.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
            I do think it is important for the provider to be realistic about wether or not they can handle such special needs, and for most I'd say it would be manageable. However, I do find it commendable when a provider is willing to admit that they cannot meet those needs and bows out.
            I never said I COULDN'T handle the nebulizer treatments.......

I said I WOULDN'T.

I provide care to well children.

When the parents and doctors stabilize his health and he is well ......he would be welcome back into my care.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
              I'd like to add that, if the child's condition is managed, he WILL be well enough to fully particpate. Not sure WHY that keeps getting mentioned. Clearly he is not well enough NOW, but since he now has a diagnosis and a treatment plan, he WILL be able to particpate.
              That's kind of a hit or miss deal.

There's a lot of kids who are just sickly, poorly fed, poorly cared for, in smoke environments, have no schedule.... and they end up sick all the time.

The nebulizer treats one of the aspects of their constant illness but every respiratory illness they get can easily get blamed on their "ashtma".

Then you have to tell the diffrence when the parents use the fact that the kid CAN have treatments in your house as the THING to do. It's a get out of jail free card to get kids into day care when they actually SICK.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                It's a get out of jail free card to get kids into day care when they actually SICK.
                Exactly.

A bit like when a parent says that their child "just has allergies."

Comment

Nebulizer and Daycares

My 2 year old has bronchial asthma-which flairs up when he gets a cold. He didn't have this problem till we enrolled him in Daycare last year. Literally about month into daycare he was always getting very sick, he contracted Mono and was out of school for quite some time. Following Mono he started developing lung problems-wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath. I myself have had asthma my entire life and now that I am in my 30's luckily it's controlled with an inhaler called Advair Diskus. Controlled means no asthma related symptoms such as the wheezing, coughing and shortness of breath.

So with all that being said, my 2 year old is now using a nebulizer to treat his bronchial asthma and thank God for us his daycare is very well trained and certified in these types of situations because if they weren't my son would not be attending this daycare at all. In my own opinion a daycare should have the common knowledge about these types of conditions and also accept a doctors note to treat a child with a health condition. It's against the law to discriminate!

I would hope that every parent just like myself wouldn't bring their child to a daycare that doesn't know how to handle situations when it comes to children and specifically situations like this one. Daycare's are caring for other peoples children, they really should be trained and skilled in all areas.

I personally think you need more education and training, with proper training you will feel more comfortable and most importantly confident in handling a situation such as this. I'm not trying to be rude but we are talking about children, they are most important and especially with all the horror stories you hear on the news these days, it's always good to have proper training and enough staff to cover when working with kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    My 2 year old has bronchial asthma-which flairs up when he gets a cold. He didn't have this problem till we enrolled him in Daycare last year. Literally about month into daycare he was always getting very sick, he contracted Mono and was out of school for quite some time. Following Mono he started developing lung problems-wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath. I myself have had asthma my entire life and now that I am in my 30's luckily it's controlled with an inhaler called Advair Diskus. Controlled means no asthma related symptoms such as the wheezing, coughing and shortness of breath.

So with all that being said, my 2 year old is now using a nebulizer to treat his bronchial asthma and thank God for us his daycare is very well trained and certified in these types of situations because if they weren't my son would not be attending this daycare at all. In my own opinion a daycare should have the common knowledge about these types of conditions and also accept a doctors note to treat a child with a health condition. It's against the law to discriminate!

I would hope that every parent just like myself wouldn't bring their child to a daycare that doesn't know how to handle situations when it comes to children and specifically situations like this one. Daycare's are caring for other peoples children, they really should be trained and skilled in all areas.

I personally think you need more education and training, with proper training you will feel more comfortable and most importantly confident in handling a situation such as this. I'm not trying to be rude but we are talking about children, they are most important and especially with all the horror stories you hear on the news these days, it's always good to have proper training and enough staff to cover when working with kids.
                    It's against the law to discriminate!
                    True BUT there is more to it than just a few words.
                    First the child must actually qualify under the disability act.
                    Secondly, the provider must have the means to support the services offered to the child meaning she must have a client base that she can spread the cost of the child's care to. In home child care the client base is so small that often this type of service can "substantially alter" the program because the time to manage ALL aspects of the service become so high that there is no way to receive compensation for the service. Providers aren't expected to do it for free.

Last winter I worked with a Center who was being hit very very hard with the "asthma" and "reactive airway disease" treatments. Working closely with the ADA it was a matter of showing that the center actually could NOT support the cost of the nebulizer treatments to the number of clients requesting them daily and numerous times a day. It took supplying some financial documents, time studies, and staffing information but it was possible to show that they litterally couldn't afford the service. They were able to institute a medication administration fee for all but one of the children who received the treatments before working with the ADA.

You are right that training is important BUT I'm a RN and I don't feel comfortable doing these treatments in my setting. The level of responsibility for me is SO much higher than that of a parent or a non licenensed person. It adds a BIG layer of assesment, documentation, and evaluation that most providers do not have. Putting medication directly into a child's lungs is SERIOIUS business in my book. I've seen with my own two eyes a very serious reaction to the medication and it scared the bejeezus out of me.

In the end, education or not... the child needs to be in a place where the provider feels 100 percent comfortable doing the entire process and is being paid accordingly to provide the service. There are a number of providers on this board who would readily work with your child and provide the service. You just have to make sure he is in THAT place.

Comment

Working...
                    X