Turning Away Families

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning Away Families

I have a lady interested in bringing her 2 boys to my childcare but after visiting with her several times I just don't feel that she is a good fit for me nor my childcare in general. I am very laid back and easy going and she seems just the opposite. I don't have a comfortable feeling when thinking about enrolling her children in my care. What is the correct way to tell a parent it is not going to work out?

I usually tell them that i have several other families that I am interviewing and will let them know if the spot has been filled or not. I also am laid back, so at the interview, I always get thier email so that i can let them down that way.

Becareful of what you say, One time I didnt like a family and decided to tell them that I filled the spot. The ladies sister called me back a week later and I told her I had an open spot still....stupid rookie mistake I made years ago.

I also tell them that I am looking for the best fit for my group.

By any chance do you have a trial period for new clients?

I have a two week no commitment trial period to see if a client would be a good fit our not. During those 2 weeks, either party can terminate the contract for any reason without the loss of $.

Comment

Turning away Parents

I have a 2 week trial period but I don't like to use it. If I have the feeling that it's not right, I think I should go with it, I'm not desperate and it doesn't feel like a good fit. I know I haven't even given them a chance but you can learn a lot about a person just talking several different times. I am able to text her, I thought about sending her a message. I understand about what happened with you saying you had a slot open. I want to just be honest and tell her I don't think that they would be a good fit......

Comment

If you have the backbone to tell her that you don't think that your family and her's would be a good fit. I know I couldnt do it... Yeah im a wuss.

I hope that you are able to politely turn them away.

Comment

I had a similar situation last yr and I knew right away on the phone and during interview that it just was no going to work out. I wasn't comfortable with them at all and there little guy was out of control. I knew he just wouldn't be a good fit. I had a few other families to interview so I did let them know that and told them I would contact them at the end of the week to let them know. I called and ended up just getting the answering machine. Don't you love that..!!

Comment

I usually say the spot has been filled and that I will contact them when I have another available.

Comment

I simply say that "I'm not confident that we're a good fit for each other, so I'm going to have to decline."

It helps a little bit that one of the first things that I talk about when a potential client calls to schedule an interview - and what I repeat when we're face-to-face, is that I use the interview process to try and see if "we are a good match for each other". So if I have to decline, they've already heard me say those words

I don't want to say that "I'm interviewing other families for the spot" even if I am - I want to see the clients as they naturally are, not putting on some kind of an act to get me to accept them into care. And I don't want to lie and say that I've "filled the spot" - because I feel in my business, my integrity is one of my biggest assets - and as a PP mentioned, I don't want to be caught in a lie.

After MONTHS of no calls for care, I interviewed a family this week that I'm going to decline if they call back wanting to start. Just a "gut-instinct" from meeting them that something about them isn't going to work with me. And dh said the same thing from just a brief handshake and minute-chat with them too.

Don't be afraid to tell them the truth - if the truth is you just don't think they'll fit!

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                I usually tell them that i have several other families that I am interviewing and will let them know if the spot has been filled or not. I also am laid back, so at the interview, I always get thier email so that i can let them down that way.

Becareful of what you say, One time I didnt like a family and decided to tell them that I filled the spot. The ladies sister called me back a week later and I told her I had an open spot still....stupid rookie mistake I made years ago.

I also tell them that I am looking for the best fit for my group.

By any chance do you have a trial period for new clients?

I have a two week no commitment trial period to see if a client would be a good fit our not. During those 2 weeks, either party can terminate the contract for any reason without the loss of $.
                I do the "I have several families interested in the spot and I'll decide which family to take by next by Friday" routine too.

Comment

I agree with Pammie, honesty is the best policy. The whole reason for the interview process is to see if the family fits in. And keep this in mind, she wouldn't think twice, if you weren't a good fit for her.

Comment

When I interview, I ALWAYS tell them that I've interviewed one or two other families. It gives me an easy out if I need it. If you decide you'd rather not take them, it's as simple as saying, "The couple I spoke with the day before you has decided to take the spot."

Comment

Me too!

Originally posted by Joyce View Post
                      When I interview, I ALWAYS tell them that I've interviewed one or two other families. It gives me an easy out if I need it. If you decide you'd rather not take them, it's as simple as saying, "The couple I spoke with the day before you has decided to take the spot."

I do the same thing! Its an easy out if you dont like the feeling you get at the tour Seems to work for me every time!

Comment

Working...
                      X