Two Hours????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Hours????

I called daycare mom TWO hours ago to tell her that her daughter has a very sick stomach and wants to go home. (mom doesn't work)

Mom says "well.. I'm on the top of a mountain".

Um... unless that mountain is in Utah, you should still be able to get here within the hour. Most of our mountains take less than an hour to hike, and if she was already at the top, she should have been here in less than 30 minutes. Plus it's over 100 degrees here... who hikes in the middle of the day?

Oh... plus, the child told me her stomach was sick this morning, and she was crying... yet they dropped her off anyway. If anybody else gets this (her mom had it Tuesday) I am going to be SO mad.

Do you have anyone else on the list of who can pick her up?

If so, start calling all of them. Leave a message about how concerned you are about the sick child, they are on the list, could they come get her?

You'll need to have a talk with the mom, right? Good luck.

Comment

Well, it took her three hours.

I don't think mom lied... I think she really was hiking, and, she came still in hiking clothes. But, three hours? In the middle of the day in May? After a while, I figured she was going to be one of those mountain rescues on the news.

The little girl got less than a mile away from my house, and threw up all over the back of Mom's car. Gad it wasn't here... I really would have been mad if she'd vomited on my house while Mom was taking her time.

Comment

I just made a few changes to my illness policy. Parents have 45 minutes from the time first contact is made to pick up their child. Any child here beyond the 45 minutes will be charged $1.00 per minute.

Comment

so glad she threw up in moms care, services her right for taking her time.

Comment

If a parent cannot pick up a child within a certain time frame...then I would call someone else on the list. The parent needs to know that they cannot simply be "unavailable" If nobody picks up the child...then charge a fee.

Comment

Originally posted by wdmmom View Post
              I just made a few changes to my illness policy. Parents have 45 minutes from the time first contact is made to pick up their child. Any child here beyond the 45 minutes will be charged $1.00 per minute.

That's a good idea. The thing is that they need to know that within that time they have someone to get their kid no matter what. If they want to go hiking three hours away then they HAVE to have someone on call and ready to come within the forty five mintues.

THAT'S the rub here.. that every single day you KNOW that no matter what you have SOMEONE available to get the child if the child becomes ill.

It comes with the contract............... you can go hiking three hours away if you would like just make sure you have your kid covered every time.

You should never drop your kid off to day care when you know you are going to be so far away from them that you can't possibly take care of them in an emergency. She shouldn't have even brought her child to care on a well child day knowing she would be so far from her.

This would be an immediate termination here. I can't care for a child who doesn't have a responsible person available to care for them when they are ill. It's not safe to have her in group care when she is ill.
              http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by youretooloud View Post
                I called daycare mom TWO hours ago to tell her that her daughter has a very sick stomach and wants to go home. (mom doesn't work)

Mom says "well.. I'm on the top of a mountain".

Um... unless that mountain is in Utah, you should still be able to get here within the hour. Most of our mountains take less than an hour to hike, and if she was already at the top, she should have been here in less than 30 minutes. Plus it's over 100 degrees here... who hikes in the middle of the day?

Oh... plus, the child told me her stomach was sick this morning, and she was crying... yet they dropped her off anyway. If anybody else gets this (her mom had it Tuesday) I am going to be SO mad.
                Also...she was able to talk to YOU on the phone...so she was able to call a friend, relative etc to pick up the child. Why should YOU be the one to make all her arrangements for her? If she was in the hospital that's one thing...but it was a day off!!

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko60 View Post
                  Also...she was able to talk to YOU on the phone...so she was able to call a friend, relative etc to pick up the child. Why should YOU be the one to make all her arrangements for her? If she was in the hospital that's one thing...but it was a day off!!

And, she was on a mountain less than five miles from my house. I've hiked that mountain. If she was actually on the top of it, she could have either turned around and come back, or taken the South trail, or gone north which takes an hour longer... it's well marked. She claims they chose the wrong trail. So, they chose a seven mile hike in 100+degree weather instead of an hour hike. Right after I called her.

Comment

And, she was on a mountain less than five miles from my house. I've hiked that mountain. If she was actually on the top of it, she could have either turned around and come back, or taken the South trail, or gone north which takes an hour longer... it's well marked. She claims they chose the wrong trail. So, they chose a seven mile hike in 100+degree weather instead of an hour hike. Right after I called her.
                    Yup it's the "it's something that happened TO me instead of something I DID".

Perfect and it worked.

Why didn't she CALL you and talk to you during her "getting lost" part? Was she checking in every few minutes? Did she start calling around to friends and family to assist when she realized she was going the wrong way?

NOOOOOOO

She dropped that kid off sick and didn't answer because she didn't want to take care of her today. She came up with a plan to make sure she was unavailable and words to explain her not doing the right thing.

Not cool.
                    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Well, it took her three hours.
                      The little girl got less than a mile away from my house, and threw up all over the back of Mom's car.
                      Hmm - guess that wouldn't have happened if she had someone else pick her up on a timely basis. Just deserts m'dear!

Good thing tomorrow's Saturday or she'd be trying to drop her off in the AM too. You could have bet on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X