Our Fish Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Fish Died

We got fish for our Three/Four and Four/Five Classes Tuesday. We took the little guys to the pet store with us to pick out the fish. They had a ball...

But I asked the salesperson speciifically what were good, hardy fish for little guys to keep as pets...that would survive occasional fingers in the tank, overfeedings, etc. She enthusiastically pointed me toward the tetras. So we bought four tetras and a bottom feeder for each tank.

4 of the fish died within the first 3 hours. Yesterday morning we found 2 more dead, and 2 others not looking well (swimming backward, not eating). We did everything the salesperson and the pamphlet said.

I think they tried to unload these fish on us...in the tanks at the store, a few fish were dead. But I figured that out of 100 fish in a tank, you're going to lose a few. And after talking with other people, I found out that tetras are NOT easy to keep - they need heated water, special food, etc.

But to try to unload sick or hard-to-sell fish on three-year-olds is wrong to me. They didnt know exactly how many fish we bought, so they havent noticed that they are dying....but when they all die, what am I going to say?

We can get a refund or replacement fish if we bring the dead fish back to the store within 2 weeks (:confused but I kinda feel some type of way about this...what should I say to the pet store?

Definitely bring them back. That's ridiculous. One or two fish is understandable, but not a whole bunch! I've heard tetras are very hearty so I don't know why they would die that quickly. Did you have the water cycled before adding the fish to the tank?

Comment

Take 'em back. Possibly try another pet store. They could have been sick; there are a few fish diseases (ick being one of them...were there little white spots on their fins?).

You might really be better off with generic goldfish.
      Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoe View Post
        Definitely bring them back. That's ridiculous. One or two fish is understandable, but not a whole bunch! I've heard tetras are very hearty so I don't know why they would die that quickly. Did you have the water cycled before adding the fish to the tank?
        Yeah, we set the tanks up last week. We specifically waited a week so that the water would be all ready for the fish. We did the water conditioner, set the filters up, the whole nine. I dont know what's wrong...

And Silversabre, I think that's what we're going to do...we didnt want goldfish because they poop so much, but that's better than what's going on now. I dont know about ick...the fish were so tiny, and some of them were see-though, so they may have...

Comment

Aw sorry your fish died. I would call and ask them what they want done with the bodies (shiver eew) and tell them u expect a full refund. I would then go to a dif store for fish.

I personally have 5 tanks of Bettas. Some are young but a couple are over a yr old, I think, one is 2 yrs old. Only prob with them is u can't keep them in the same tank. I have had african dwarf frogs and other fish with them. I can't recall the fish they get along with but the store would be able to help if u were interested in taking that route.

Good luck to u.

Comment

Ick looks like they have been sprinkled with salt, and it is a very common thing when fish are kept in water that is too could for them/and or they are under stress.

Tetras are super hardy and easy to keep, but not if they are kept in the wrong environment. Letting a tank sit for a week is not cycling.

Check this out...

The following is a basic guide on cycling and a more advanced explaination is in the works. Cycling is preparing a tank for fish to

Comment

we have a fighting fish, I would really recommend them. Easy to take care of and they last a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Symphony View Post
                Ick looks like they have been sprinkled with salt, and it is a very common thing when fish are kept in water that is too could for them/and or they are under stress.

Tetras are super hardy and easy to keep, but not if they are kept in the wrong environment. Letting a tank sit for a week is not cycling.

Check this out...

http://www.worldcichlids.com/faqs/cycling.html
                Ooohhh. The book that came with the tank said something about amonia, nitrite, etc....but it said that once the bacteria start growing in the tank, it will take care of the ammonia and nitrite, and you keep the nitrate down by changing the water on a regular basis. I definitely asked the (same) salesperson about what I needed to set up the tank, she made it seem like pie.

Maybe it was our tanks...Im sure the director wont let us buy anything else for the tank...we'll probably just have to get goldfish for a while.

Comment

The things that pop to mind are:

1. Did you use a dechlorinator in the water before you put the fish in?

2. Did you float the fish in the bag of water for a about an hour to gradually allow their temperature to settle to that of the tank?

3. Were they any metal objects in the tank?

4. Did you wash out the rock and decorations before placing them in the tank?

5. Did you allow the tank to cycle before bringing the fish home?

Those are the minimum recommended requirements when starting a tank to the best of my knowledge. They will most likely ask you those questions.
                  Last edited by Cat Herder; 05-05-2011, 11:10 AM. Reason: Disregard number 5. I see you already answered that. Sorry.
                  - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunni Bee View Post
                    Yeah, we set the tanks up last week. We specifically waited a week so that the water would be all ready for the fish. We did the water conditioner, set the filters up, the whole nine. I dont know what's wrong...

And Silversabre, I think that's what we're going to do...we didnt want goldfish because they poop so much, but that's better than what's going on now. I dont know about ick...the fish were so tiny, and some of them were see-though, so they may have...
                    it takes more than a week to cycle a tank. more like a month or more. and you feed it even though there are no fish in there.

i've never done this, but you have to be INCREDIBLY careful with the bioload as well. gold fish are the hardiest fish. honestly, the pet store people don't know a whole lot about anything. They honestly dont!

if you are interested in fish keeping in any way, go to flippersandfins.net, and they can inform you there.

more than likely you had a spike in ammonia, nitrate or nitrite in the tank, and that's why they all died. something is not right with the water chemisty.

also!!!! if you happened to spray something in the air, it can settle in the water (even with a lid on it!) and polute the water, or if you stuck your hand in there after you washed your hand, or used any objects in the water that had soap residue. anything that goes into a fish tank should never have touched soap. EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunni Bee View Post

My goldfish doesn't poop that much and the kids actually think it's fun to watch her poop. My potty trainers are always telling the fish to use her toilet and stop having accidents. I've had good luck with platys and black mollys being pretty hardy just so long as you keep up on tank maintenance. My goldfish puts up with me not cleaning the tank very often so I tend to like her better than any other fish I've had.
                      Celebrate! ::

Comment

one common mistake people make with goldfish, and the reason they think they don't live long, is they dont' give them proper home.

goldfish rule....

60 square cm for each 1 cm of fish body length excluding the tail
                        or

24 square inches for each 1 inch of fish body length excluding the tail

i think that is equivalent to about 10-15 gallons for the first goldfish AT MINIMUM and 5 gallons for each one after that.

they will never stop eating if you let them. feed them a small amount daily is what i do, and mine live for year and years and years. i also add spirulina powder to help grow algae in the tank (good for the fish, and the snails) and vary up the diet by giving pellets, flakes sometimes, and they also get to eat blood worms when the frogs get fed. they also enjoy eating the frog and tadpole bites when i try feed the frogs.

average life span of a goldfish is approx 20 yrs!!!!!!!!!!

change out 25% of the water weekly, or do like me and change out 30-50% every 2 to 3 weeks hahaha, i know i'm bad. but i have adfs in with the goldfish, and a bunch of snails (snails are very very messy) and my chemistry is always in balance. ADF's would be the first affected by poor water quality. and as long as they are happy i don't bother.

over feeding, and over stocking are the biggest nonos in a tank. live plants help balance out the ammonia and other poor quality conditions (much like a live plant in your home cleans the air).

eta: we went to a banquet for camp when i was like 5 yo. they had those little feeder fish goldfish on each of the tables in a little bowl. they allowed each of the kids to take them home. that "feeder" goldfish, grew bigger and bigger as long as she had the room to, and lived to be 13 yo. my sister didnt' change her water for a few weeks when my parents split up, and she jumped out of the bowl, and thats why she died. a feeder goldfish that normally lives a few days before being fed to something else. as long as they have the room to grow, they will continue growing.

Comment

Originally posted by dEHmom View Post
                          one common mistake people make with goldfish, and the reason they think they don't live long, is they dont' give them proper home.
                          goldfish rule....

or

i think that is equivalent to about 10-15 gallons for the first goldfish AT MINIMUM and 5 gallons for each one after that.

QUOTE]

It breaks my heart when people put goldfish in bowls. I'm not sure why fish are seen as disposable, but it makes me sad

We have goldfish as our daycare fish, because I wanted a coldwater tank down there. We have two fantails and a moore in a 40 gal. They are so beautiful!
                          Last edited by Michael; 05-05-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

My kids bought six feeder goldfish as pets 5 years ago. Five are still alive and boy are they huge!!

Comment

Originally posted by Symphony View Post

goldfish rule....

or

QUOTE]

It breaks my heart when people put goldfish in bowls. I'm not sure why fish are seen as disposable, but it makes me sad

We have goldfish as our daycare fish, because I wanted a coldwater tank down there. We have two fantails and a moore in a 40 gal. They are so beautiful!
                              people believe they don't feel anything and because most goldfish cost less than 1 for 12, they think they are not worth anything. did you know goldfish are smart enough that you can train them? google it if you don't believe me.
                              Last edited by Michael; 05-05-2011, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X