Your Best Cost Cutting Trick??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Best Cost Cutting Trick??

With the tough times what are some of your best cost cutting tips for your daycare and family?

I just today borrowed someones idea about the baby wash clothes instead of paper towels. It got my mind going about waste and where else we can save.

Would love your input

freecycle is one... I stopped buying a lot of art supplies and reached out to the community to see if they had some paper laying arounf...what a great response i got....

also with our huge car, it coest $129 to fill up so I started riding my bike and burley to the grocery store to get food.

no more box cereal at all. Most of it is junk anyways...
    also started buying local fruit at the fruit stand instead of at the super market. It last longer and is cheaper too...

Comment

The fruit I buy from Walmart goes bad soo fast! I had a Cantalop and 3 cucumbers rot in less then 4 days.

I will be trying the local farmers market instead. Thank you

Comment

I think making your menu ahead of time using the ads and coupons you have before shopping is a great way to save money.

I have started using my left overs and making more meals from those instead of going out to eat. I also have started cooking more at home.

Started watching portions of food as well. This is also good for weight loss.

Comment

I order paper towels and toilet paper from a janitorial supply place. I get 4000 paper towels for fourteen dollars (the dispenser was 23), and a 96 roll case of tp for 38 bucks. Huge savings. And they deliver for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
            I order paper towels and toilet paper from a janitorial supply place. I get 4000 paper towels for fourteen dollars (the dispenser was 23), and a 96 roll case of tp for 38 bucks. Huge savings. And they deliver for free.
            Wow, what company?

Comment

Except for toilet paper, we use reusable paper products. I buy paper towels occasionally, but we use non disposable everything.

Comment

Originally posted by newtodaycare22 View Post
                Wow, what company?
                Super Chem. But check the phone book in your area. There are several companies here, they are VERY close in price.

Comment

Originally posted by youretooloud View Post
                  Except for toilet paper, we use reusable paper products. I buy paper towels occasionally, but we use non disposable everything.
                  We are required by the health dept to use paper towels. Sanitary reasons. Happy to comply cuts down on illness.

Comment

We had an article from other suggestions from the forum: https://www.daycare.com/story/money_saving_tips/

Comment

Except for toilet paper ::::::

Comment

Originally posted by squareone View Post
                        Except for toilet paper ::::::
                        i know a couple crunchy tree huggin' mommas who use cloth toilet paper.

no way am I washing my husbands "toilet paper" out. i dont even like washing his underwear

sorry...TMI, i know

Comment

:
                          Originally posted by melskids View Post
                          i know a couple crunchy tree huggin' mommas who use cloth toilet paper.

no way am I washing my husbands "toilet paper" out. i dont even like washing his underwear

sorry...TMI, i know
                          You made me laugh with this one....but oh so true with men.

Comment

We do this too, but sometimes I wonder if I'm really saving anything. I've never worked out the cost of laundering them...soap, hot water, electricity etc. Has anyone done the math?

Comment

I menu plan each week based on the loss leaders in the fliers and then only shop with a list.

I check the 50% off racks in the grocery stores whenever I go. You can get great deals on bread and meat that way. Just throw it in the freezer right away.

I only by produce at a local place unless the loss leader price is better (rarely). It's nicer produce and much cheaper. I rarely have spoilage and I shop there once a week.

I get all my bread from a bread outlet or make it myself. (Average cost of $1.25 a loaf instead of $2.79)

I make all baked goods we use....muffins, tea biscuits, rolls, pizza dough.

I cut fruit in half for the kids and then give them another half if they finish the first.

I have a list on my fridge of what my kids can snack on each week and they aren't allowed to eat anything else without permission. It's based on sale items and other cheap stuff. (Apples, oranges, bananas, pb sandwiches, pb crackers etc)

Comment

Working...
                              X