Share Your Nap Routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DCMom View Post
    I guess that I am the only one who lets them watch a video for quiet time??

I rarely have quiet time issues; the under 2's all go down for nap in another room by 12:45-1pm. The rest of the group, five to seven others ranging from 2-5 years have used the bathroom, brushed their teeth, grabbed their blankets and on their mats by 1:30. I arrange them by 'napping status' ~ the ones I know will sleep cannot see the tv, the ones on the verge of giving up nap are farthest away with a blocked view and the ones that no longer nap are right by the tv. 99% of the time, all but the two 5's fall asleep and even they will fall asleep from time to time after walking to the park or an especially busy morning. Everyone is up and around and ready for snack by 3:00pm.

They all know if they screw around, the movie goes off. I can't remember the last time the movie got turned off.

It is the only time we watch tv during the day and my parents are all ok with it. The videos are usually Feature Films for Families or other age appropriate video.

That's my method; not perfect but works for me
    I would totally put a movie on if my kids would sleep-but they'd fight themselves to watch it. :: That's nice that it works for your kids, I'm a little jealous My one 5 yo watches a movie in the other room after 30 minutes of resting on her mat.

Comment

Our routine

I almost always refer to it as rest time. When parents or kids crank about naptime, I usually say. You don't have to nap, but everyone rests at my house.

I have adjusted rest time if I have children that aren't falling asleep at 12:30 p.m. They can make a quiet choice, puzzles or felt board while I change and put down toddlers. That pushes their nap off until 1:15 - 1:30. I guess I just start with the best sleepers and work my way to the worst sleepers. They get a little one-on-one with me before they rest and they aren't laying there awake for 2 hours. But resting quietly is rejuvenating. I don't think an hour to an hour and a half is mean at all.

If they are disruptive, they are removed and moved to "the alcove" which is just a space upstairs near me. They will also lose a priviledge (such as a favorite toy, like trains) when they get up. I rarely have issues, even from the most squirrely of 3-4 year olds. No toys/books in the nap room. This has never worked. Although, if I have an older 4 year old or 5, I have a giant collection of comic books (Scooby Doo, Incredibles) that they can page through in "the alcove" during rest. But ultimately everyone rests.

Comment

Working...
      X