New To Forums! But Have To Vent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meeko60 View Post
    So the kid had a death grip on the crayon and wouldn't let go?
    AND?????

What is the mother going to do when he is 16, and has a death grip on the car keys???? If she can't control him as a toddler, how in the he!! does she expect to control him when he's a teenager bigger than she is?

I am not the strongest girl on the block...I regularly have to have my boyfriend open the pickle jar....but in 7 years a toddler has NEVER hada a death grip I could't overcome. I have had parents use this same excuse on me before "I couldn't get Johnny out of the house without *it*" I simolily look at tehm remove the item from the childs hand, hand it to the parents, and lead teh child inside. The child (without fail) atops crying in under minute and we go on with our day.

Many parents say 'choose your battles" and this is one that I think I worth choosing and is much more important than parents realize. It is very important to show children that you are the one in charge and NOT them. LEttign them have this controll over the morning is setting them and the parents up for failiar when the child is older and rules have higher stakes but they still don't think they apply to them. Parents will wonder why their teens don't listen...and it is bc they have never had to in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by MsMe View Post
      I am not the strongest girl on the block...I regularly have to have my boyfriend open the pickle jar....but in 7 years a toddler has NEVER hada a death grip I could't overcome. I have had parents use this same excuse on me before "I couldn't get Johnny out of the house without *it*" I simolily look at tehm remove the item from the childs hand, hand it to the parents, and lead teh child inside. The child (without fail) atops crying in under minute and we go on with our day.

Many parents say 'choose your battles" and this is one that I think I worth choosing and is much more important than parents realize. It is very important to show children that you are the one in charge and NOT them. LEttign them have this controll over the morning is setting them and the parents up for failiar when the child is older and rules have higher stakes but they still don't think they apply to them. Parents will wonder why their teens don't listen...and it is bc they have never had to in the past.
      Amen. Parents look at it as "It's just a little crayon...what's the big deal?" The crayon's not the issue. The big deal is that little Billy is learning that HE is in charge and not Mommy. That's going to be dangerous in a few short years.

Comment

Working...
      X